best honeymoon

Mar 26th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

best honeymoon

Question about honeymoon destination:
We will be traveling in July. We would like to find a destination with beautiful beaches and excellent snorkeling but also with some land activities as well. Here are some locations I have looked at:
Hawaii
Koh Samui
St. Lucia
Grenada
Turks & Caicos
Belize
We will be spending 10-14 days there at the beginning of July. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Mar 27th, 2008, 01:22 AM

I would check out the weather in July in those locations and see if some would be better than others.

Looks like a great list though.

Some areas it might be hurricane season, other areas it might be the bugs are out in force...

so I would just search 'Grenada in July' for example.

That said La Luna in Grenada is on my list of must visits some day.

From your list, I've only been to Turks and Caicos so I can't compare.

Congrats and enjoy wherever you go!

Trish
Mar 27th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

If beautiful beaches are a priority, then Belize is not for you. While the Belize cayes offer excellent snorkeling, and access to lots of mainland-based activities (pyramids, jungle tours, etc.), the beaches are nothing to write home about.

Grenada, on the other hand, offers a combination of beautiful beaches (and a large variety of them), plus lots of activities off the beach -- rain forest hikes, waterfalls, sulphur springs, nutmeg plantation tours, rum distillery tours, etc. A wide range of acommodations, as well. But... the snorkeling isn't that great.

The Turks and Caicos are all about beaches and snorkeling ... but little else. St. Lucia is lush and breathtakingly beautiful, but the beaches aren't that great and neither is the snorkeling.

Given your parameters (beaches, snorkeling, activities), in the Caribbean -- and for two very different experiences -- I would suggest the British Virgin Islands (pretty, hilly terrain; good beaches; good snorkeling; lots of laid-back water-oriented activities) or Grand Cayman (beautiful beaches; excellent snorkeling; and lots to do -- but Americanized and pricey).
Mar 27th, 2008, 04:10 AM

We spent our honeymoon in Hawaii and it was the trip of a lifetime. We loved Mauii and Kuaii (forgive incorrect spelling). I don't know the weather in July, but september was absolutely beautiful.
Mar 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM

We got married in Hawaii and it's one of those places that the word "wow" doesn't do it justice. I felt so special there. Stunning views and Hawaii won us over. This is paradise, plain and simple.
Mar 27th, 2008, 08:00 AM

I agree with meta and Knowing-nothing compares to Hawaii. We stayed in Kauai and Maui for a week each. We loved the Princeville on the north shore of Kauai. Maui was neat, but much more built up and less lush than Kauai, which is why we preferred Kauai.

With that being said, I would go based upon your location. If you live on the east coast, go for Hawaii-it may be a long time before you get the chance to go again-it’s a looonnggg flight. If you live on the west coast, go for the Caribbean. From your caribbean list, I’ve been to St. Lucia, which is like a “mini Kauai” on the south shore with the lush rainforests and pitons. But Kauai’s north and western shore (Napali coast) is on a much grander scale than St. Lucia. Enjoy!
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM

Have you posted on the Asia board as well? I haven't been to Thailand but it's high on my list. As pp have stated I've read that Hawaii's weather is fantastic year round - so July should be beautiful. For more than a week I agree that you should go someplace that isn't as easy to reach. There probably won't be many times in your life when you'll take such an extended vacation - get as far away as possible!
Apr 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM

I've been to a few of the destinations on your list:

T&C - gorgeous beaches, pretty good snorkeling, flat island with not much to see/do on the interior.

Hawaii - beautiful islands with much to see, especially Kauai, but we didn't find the water to be as calm and clear as Caribbean waters.

St. Lucia - gorgeous topography, but not great beaches. Although we did like the beach we stayed on at Rodney Bay at the new Landings Resort. The water was very calm and clear there. We did a day trip to The Grenadines and those islands had picture perfect beaches and water, and great snorkeling. We loved swimming with the sea turtles there at Tobago Cay. I would recommend dividing time between St. Lucia and a Grenadine island, like Palm Island or Canouan. And there are plenty of options for taking a boat around the many islands of the Grenadines once you're there. It would be a perfect combo of romantic relaxing on beaches and exploring a beautifully lush island.

We considered Thailand for our July honeymoon, but isn't it monsoon season then? We ended up going to Bali instead and we loved it there. Very beautiful island with an interesting culture, top notch service, and $20 spa treatments, but the beaches weren't the greatest.

We went to French Polynesia a few years ago. I loved our overwater bungalow with the glass panel in the floor for watching the fish below. The snorkeling was the best I've done. We stayed on Moorea, so I can't comment on the other islands, like Bora Bora. Moorea was very beautiful and romantic.
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the replies. they have been helpful