Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Besides VI's-where else for shore snorkeling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shore snorkeling is the #1 criteria for a family island vacation with my girls who are 11 & 14. We've been to St. John and Virgin Gorda and loved them both! I would like to know of other islands with a good amount of shore snorkelling opportunities that won't disappoint after the visiting the Virgin Islands. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Bonaire, if snorkeling is top priority.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 01:04 AM

When were you in VG/ That would help me give you a few suggestions?
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Stankase, we were on VG last summer and thought it was pretty good; Maho Bay, Spring Bay, Long Bay, the Indians and the Dogs(my favorite!) Looking for healthy coral and variety in marine life.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Bonaire -- spectacular offshore snorkeling (bumped my trip report for you - see "Bonaire Trip Report).

Grand Cayman - awesome, awesome offshore snorkeling.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM

redconley; We may be spoiled but the spots you hit were just o.k. in our opinion except for the Dogs, Norman Island and Copper Islands but the last 2 had only a few areas with very healthy coral.
Curacao on the WEST END has a series of bays with of the beach snorkeling comparable to Bonaire. See my comments under Curacao.Many folks talk about off-the-beach snorkeling at Coral Gardens Resort. We must have missed that spot in our 2 visits back in 1998 and 2001 because elsewhere it was acceptable but nothing compares to Caneel except for Tobago Cay and that is an outing of 1-2 hours from various other islands in the Grenadines and it is worth maybe 2 trips in a 7 day stay.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Want to clarify, I misspoke - when I said "offshore" I meant snorkeling right from the shore (don't have to take a boat to it).
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 04:59 PM

although the from-shore snorkeling isn't nearly as nice as the VI's, I thought it was fair at Provo, Turks & Caicos -- Coral Gardens and Smith's Reef (better)

Grace Bay Beach is widely considered one of the best beaches in the Caribbean and a terrific spot for a family vacation
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:00 PM

There's dozens of shore snorkeling sites in the Bahamian archipelago, but most are reaced by boat. Bonaire, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are great for snorkeling from shore to easily-reachable, beautiful reefs. But, I do have a list of shore snorkeling spots throughout the Bahamas if you name an out-island for me. Robert59
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Caneel Bay...Caneel Bay and maybe T&C around Coral Garden Resort. But, after 2 days of T&C you will have seen the best.
I realize you were to St. John but on our 6-7 visits to Caneel Bay Resort over the last 15-16 years we were able to go out everyday and usually fond somethings different. Though a very little bit of coral was bleached on our visit 2 years ago we met some folks we know and have snorkeled with in Asia and they said last Dec. it was still the best in the Caribbean for of-the beach snorkeling. Plus the food while expensive has improved greatly in the past 2-3 years.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM

<b><font color="purple">T&amp;C and Cayman were great for us!</font></b>
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Robert59 - the Abacos is another one of our considerations. Hubby &amp; I were there about 5 years ago and loved it! Have been thinking about taking the kids back....
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:54 AM

redconley; Yes, the Abaco's have great reefs. I've conducted reef surveys off Lubber's Quarters and all along Great Guana Cay. Hint: On Guana, the reef of Nipper's had over 20 species of reef fish counted in 15 minutes, beginning just a few yards of shore. There I recorded the largest Rainbow Parrotfish I've ever seen. Also, at the end of the dock at Guana Seaside Resort (now closed) there were rock rubble that is full of reef fish. There, I swam and recordedd on my underwater videocam, with two Spotted Eagle Rays for a half hour. They enjoyed my presence and parallel swam with me. Another best-kept secret for snorkeling on Great Guana is the lock rock formation breakwater adjacent to their dive operation on the Sea of Abaco. As I snorkeled up and down this breakwall of huge piled-up boulders, incredible schools of reef fish were recored. I could go on! Robert59
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Forgot to mention. That huge boulder rock formation is by the dive operation at Dolphin Beach Resort on Great Guana.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Robert59, how are the reefs off Elbow Cay? We stayed on Guana Cay last time and had some wonderful snorkel experiences around the island. We're thinking with kids that Elbow may be a better choice and would love to hear about shore snorkeling off its' beaches.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Two great snorkeling spots on Elbow Cay. Off the beach by the pool at Hopetown Harbor lodge is a reef that begins only 20 feet offshore. The pool, bar and beach are not private, so go there and snorkel at will. The ocean can kick up a bit and the sand reduces the vis, but on a clear day you may see lots of reef critters. Also, if you go to Tahiti Beach on Elbow Cay and look out, you'll see a flat rock formation rising about 1-2 feet. It's about 100 feet across and is round/oval. I snorkeled around it and recorded, in only 1-3 feet of water, parrotfish, angelfish, small reef sharks, barracuda, blue-stripped and french grunts, several octopus, Caribbean reef squid, etc....20 species in all. Plus, snorkel just 10 feet off the beach at Tahiti, and you'll run across many reef critters and fish. You must hit Cracker P's across the way on Lubber's Qtrs. Cay- grouper meals to die for. I'd advise, also, renting a Boston Whaler boat and explore up and down the cays. South of Elbow Cay are many reefs in the shallows (some are 15 feet depths)with boat tie-up buoys. Robert59
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Bonaire - Top notch snorkeling; virtually hundreds of sites (most marked) between Bonaire and the tiny island of Klein Bonaire, but inferior beaches.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Grand Cayman has great off shore snorkeling!

Christie