All of the coral is not dead!

Jun 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

All of the coral is not dead!

I always feel sad when I read trip reports that focus on the deteriorating conditions of the reefs in the Caribbean. I guess I am a glass half full type of person. Having just returned from eights wonderful days snorkeling in Virgin Gorda I am happy to report that I saw some living coral – beautiful fans, several turtles, and a variety of fish including a queen angel fish, large barracuda, squid and a small ray. Most days the visibility was excellent. Our favorite snorkeling spot was Mountain Truck (Nail Bay).

One of the things I love about scuba diving and snorkeling is that it puts me “in the moment” – and, the moments I spent snorkeling in Virgin Gorda were very enjoyable!
Jun 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Glad that you enjoyed your snorkeling in VG so much! I, too, had some really wonderful snorkeling experiences there.

It might be helpful to future posters if you would give very explicit directions and details about the places you enjoyed most. For example, from Mountain Trunk Bay, did you snorkel far out? To the left or right? Is there a reef right offshore there? That sort of thing.

Thanks1
Jun 24th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks for sharing good news. I also try to appreciate each snorkeling experience as a unique adventure and not compare destinations or reflect too much on how things use to be.

I would like to hear more about the snorkeling at Mountain Trunk. Did you stay at Nail Bay?
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM

It's really just one poster on this board who is fixated on the condition of the coral in the Caribbean. I agree with you on your attitude.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:47 AM

hear, hear, jecrow!
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:33 AM

I always appreciate hearing of vibrant snorkel spots. thanks!

I am definitely a half full type too, but we have been disappointed the last two times we went to the Bahamas Out Islands, because the snorkeling was not very good, compared to the first few times.
Jun 25th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

simbam -- We stayed in Mahoe Bay at Adagio Villa - it was wonderful and I plan to write about the villa in some detail when I pull together a trip report. Nail Bay (Mountain Trunk) is only a mile from Mahoe. The road is partially paved - and, while the unpaved portion is rough going it really isn't that bad.

ejcrowe - At Mountain Trunk - facing the ocean we snorkeled primarily far left. You can hug the shoreline or swim further out across a channel and there is another reef to explore. As we crossed the channel we saw a parade of very large Barracuda and that was an interesting sight. The water was so calm that it was easy to swim long distances - although it isn't necessary to do so - we saw nice fans and a variety of fish close-in.

Our last day we also snorkeled far right and that seemed equally nice. We tried several other snorkeling spots in Virgin Gorda -- but Mountain Trunk kept calling us back.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM

I stayed at Adagio last year, too, and it was just lovely. Perfect for my husband, our granddaughter, and me.

My granddaugther and I drove to Nail Bay one day but we just drove through the property and didn't get the chance to snorkel there. If you drove from Adagio, where did you park Was it a hike to get to the beach there?
Jun 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

ejcrowe -- Mountain Trunk can be easily accessed via a paved one lane road (clearly marked). At the end of the road there is a small turn around spot big enough for about 3 or 4 cars. We never saw more than one other car there. Once you park you are about five steps from the beach. Couldn't be easier.

One of the other things we enjoyed about Mountain Trunk is the nice thatched umbrellas and lounge chairs. Possibly they are intended for guests staying at Nail Bay - although we didn't see signage specifying that. Since there were never more than 6 other people on the beach (with more than enough umbrellas for everyone) - we didn't feel guilty about enjoying the facilities. Mountain Trunk is great for the conveniece, shade & snorkeling.

Jun 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM

That is great to hear. We're going to VG in October and we're staying in one of the Nail Bay villas. Thanks for the info.
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM

Hey cm318! Welcome home. That's great news about the snorkeling! I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your time on VG.
Jul 4th, 2008, 05:21 AM

The little thatched roof palapas may have been placed by the folks at Little Dix Bay as the Trunk Bay beach is used by them for their "deserted beach outings".

Search this Thread