Reload this Page >

Bermuda Shopping - Good deals

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Kristin

Can anyone tell me where to go for the good discounts on designer handbags? I was told they have gucci and prada with discounted prices, <BR>Also, where can we eat cheap near the Sonesta hotel? Is there a bakery for bagels, muffins, light breakfast fare nearby the Sonesta?

Old May 13th, 2001, 04:39 AM
penny

I cannot think of anything right near the Sonesta, except Gibbs Light has a tea room, Gibbs Hill Road is drectly across form the hotel, but I think it is quite a walk. Also Henry the VIII"s is across the street-it is pricey and can be touristy, but they are noted for their Sunday Brunch. One of our favorite pastimes is to sit on their patio for lunch and look at the view, youw might want to check out their lunch fare, as they have salads, fish and chips, also sandwichs. The Sonesta is on the bus route and I know Hamilton has a few bakeries. <BR>As for shopping look in AS Cooper, Smiths and Triminghams. Other good prices are Swiis watches, English China and Waterford.

Old May 13th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Parrot Mom

The Bermuda Obsessed People at../www.keyguide.com/cgi-local/index.cgi can tell you exactly. I've never looked for designer bags, but porcelain and china prices are great..usually abnout 30% and tax free.. Have already e-mailed Smith's that i'm on my way and be prepared.. they sell mycollectibles at a great price and best of all the sales ladies are delightful..

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Kristin

Penny: <BR> <BR>Thanks, can you tell me what AS and Smiths is? ARe they handbag stores? Is there a gucci in Bermuda? I am on the search for a Gucci bag. How far is Hamilton from the Sonesta on the bus route?

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:20 AM
penny

The stores I mentioned are elegant department stores, all along Front Street. I am not sure if there is a Gucci, but there are lots of shops in Hamilton. I will guess at the bus ride, as we moped, but at the most 20 minutes. Bermuda is a beautiful island, I love the gardens, pastel painted houses and the chirping of the tree frogs at night. I just received my new copy of Caribbean Travel and Life, it has a very nice article on Bermuda.

Old May 14th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Kristin

Thank you so much for your help. Are the prices good for designer items at these dept stores? <BR>Someone told my sister she bought a prada cheaper in Bermuda than in the US. I was shocked, people keep saying everything in Bermuda is more expensive.

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:54 AM
penny

Bermuda like any island can be expensive on food and dining. As for shopping you can find the items we talked about cheaper than the US, so do look around. Have fun!

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Kristin

Thanks Penny! I cant wait. I found excellent prices on Gucci, prada, etc in the Bahamas. I am kicking myself for not buying anything. <BR>I saw the gucci bag I want at the Atlantis hotel for $379.00 no tax, it is $575.00 here in the US. <BR>People keep telling me the beaches in Bermuda are better than any in the caribbean also. I have only been to aruba, grand cayman and bahamas. I havnt found any island that can beat aruba yet, it will be interesting to see if Bermuda's beaches are better than aruba's beaches. <BR>

Old May 15th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Noodle

<BR>Prepare yourself Kristin. Bermuda is shopping heaven. I think I remember the bags at one of the Dockyard shops. <BR> <BR>The beaches are wonderful, probably because access is not as easy as in the Caribbean. Take your most comfortable pair of tennis shoes for hiking along the South Shore. The bus ride into Hamilton is longer than usually longer than 20 minutes because there are so many stops. For good fish at a reasonable price, check out the Ice Queen in Hamilton. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:42 AM
penny

Kristin-Bermuda's beaches are beautiful. I have never been to the beach at the Sonesta, but were the hotel is nestled it should be very nice. Make sure you explore the beaches on the South Shore-Warwick, Chaplin Bay and Horseshore(this beach gets busy from the cruise ships)but it is stunning. I have never been to Aruba but frequent Anguilla, where the beaches are stunning. Bermuda has a different feeling, the coral cliffs and <BR>little coves, and it still IMHO has some of the most beautiful beaches. I did see Paradise Island on college spring brake years ago, and yes it is a wonderful beach. <BR>Bermuda is not the caribbean, it is very special,elegant and beautiful. Lots of things to do and explore. The winding roads and lanes, the gardens and pink sand, and white roofed homes, the unique design to collect water. Have fun, we go every fall and never get tired of the island!

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:21 AM
eileen

No one has mentioned diamonds -- I found them to be 25% cheaper. Go to one of the reputable jewelry stores on Front Street.

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:20 AM
bhh

I go to Bermuda at least once a year and always enjoy shopping! I have gotten some great deals on jewelery (Front Street) and sweaters, kilts and much much more. Funny when my sister who lives in Bermdua comes to the USA she shops here for things that are way cheaper than on the island. And as far as the beaches go in my MHO they are the best of the best! When are you going? Let us know if you like it.

Old May 16th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Kristin

Thanks to everyone! <BR>I will definitely post when I come back. <BR>Noodle: where are the dockyard shops? Forgive me, I have never been there and am clueless. I just want to know where to look. <BR>I cant wait!

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Noodle

<BR>Kristin, the Dockyard (military post) is at the far northwestern tip of Bermuda. Museums, restaurants, great shopping, a snorkel park, the pottery works, etc. You can get there on wheels (a very scenic route) or by ferry from Hamilton (a lovely trip). I'd suggest taking the bus one way & the ferry the other. I think you can take your moped on the ferry too. Can someone verifu this for her? <BR> <BR>The Dockyard (it's not plural, they'll politely correct you) is my favorite place to spend a rainy day. <BR> <BR>There are also a few shops at Sandys, on the way to the Dockyard, but for the most part they are satellite shops of the large department stores in Hamilton. And don't forget the shops in St. George! And don't forget your credit cards. ;^) <BR> <BR>My husband flipped at the price of Irish sweaters. He was familiar with the upscale brand, but I was not. Apparently a fabulous deal. <BR> <BR>Rule of thumb is, if it's made in the states, you can get it here at a better price. But if it's made anywhere else, you'll save 1/4 to 1/2. At least. <BR> <BR>Be sure & go in the seasonal department at Trimingham's. And try Astwood Dickinson for jewelry -- a nice longtail charm for your neck as a memory. <BR> <BR>Hamilton is fabulous & all encompassing, but I love St. George's quaintness & the boutique feel of the Dockyard. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Noodle

<BR>Clarification: you should save at least 1/4, sometimes get lucky & save as much as 1/2. <BR> <BR>One more thing --- don't forget the Perfumery. Beautiful grounds to stroll, nice gift shop & fabulous perfumes made right there. There's also a Guerlain shop in Hamilton. <BR> <BR>Another hint, if you see something you like but need a different size or color, ask the clerk to call one of the other locations for the stores that are island-wide. If it's available, you can pay for it on the spot & they'll deliver it to your hotel the next day. <BR> <BR>If only the whole world ran as smoothly & politely as Bermuda.

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:39 AM
penny

Noodle you have covered it all. I love the charms etc. at Astwood Dickenson!! Yes the Scottish cashmere is a good price. Wow it makes me want to shop! <BR>And yes you can take mopeds on most of the ferries!

Old May 17th, 2001, 06:50 AM
Tanya

There are lots of shops to choose from in Hamilton and I am sure you will find great prices. Being from Canada, our exchange rate doesn't translate into bargains. However, I do purchase a lot of summer clothes the first week of September when Smiths and Triminghams have their clearance. You can save up to 70%! <BR> <BR>While in Hamilton, you may want to purchase some bakery items either at the grocery store (up from the ferry terminal) or there is a little pastry/coffee shop directly behind Smiths (I forget what the street name is). Lots of spots in Hamilton to purchase a reasonable breakfast.

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Parrot Mom

There is something you Bermuda lovers forgot...the people..they actually seem to enjoy having tourists compared to other islands.. The school children if your on a bus will get up and give you their seat..everybody thanks the busdrivers getting on and getting off and greeting him/her with a "Good Morning" or a big "thank you"... Aruba is Mcdonalds and Taco Bell.. Bermuda is theSwizzle Inn, the beaches, the people, the whole atmosphere...Have a Bermudaful Day... as we say..

Old May 17th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Noodle

<BR>You are so right. Absolutely, without a doubt the people of Bermuda are its greatest asset. Thankfully, the sweet cordiality seems to rub off on most travelers too. Almost everyone seems nicer, and the occasional grumpy or rude tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. <BR> <BR>Ok, now I'm REALLY ready for my fall vacation. :^)