Bermuda Restaurant and Taxi questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: I've made dinner reservations for our July Bermuda trip. We are staying at the fairmont Southampton.
1st night-Aqua at Ariel sands
2nd night-Barracuda in Hamilton
3rd night- Waterlot at the FS
4th night-Coconuts at the Reef
Does that sound like a good food itinerary for a foody couple? Also, will taxi rides to and from these places (other than the Waterlot) break the bank?

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:29 AM

Aqua is out of this world. I am posting my trip report shortly, read it. We did not eat at any of these other restaurants, but heard wonderful things about Waterlot. We stayed at Ariel Sands and took a taxi to and from Henry VIII in Southampton (I think across the street from the Fairmont). It cost $46 with a tip round trip ($26 each way). It adds to the cost of dinner, so you will have to allow for this. Enjoy!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM

We just returned from Bermuda and also stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. We did eat at the Waterlot, and enjoyed our meal, but it has changed over to a steak and chop house. It used to have a more varied menu and jacket was required, but no tie. Jackets are now "suggested". Our meal there was very good, but not especially memorable. I had shrimp cocktail and a petite filet, asparagus and mashed potatoes for sides. The best part of the meal was the Chilean cabernet - oh and the warm chocolate cake for dessert.

While we were there, we ate twice at The Whaler, down by the beach. The atmosphere there is much more casual, not the same level of service as at the Waterlot. But, if the weather is nice, it is so beautiful to eat outside overlooking the ocean. Both times our meals were excellent. The first night I had crabcakes for an appetizer and the seabass for an entree. Both were so delicious, especially with a cool, crisp chardonnay to wash it down!! The second time we ate there, I had the crabcakes again, and this time I had a special which was grilled mahimahi over lobster risotto with pan-seared sea scallops and a battered, fried shrimp. Yum! my mouth is watering remembering it! My husband also had the mussels, the raw oysters and the specials both nights, and loved them.

Enjoy your stay in Bermuda!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Did you enjoy staying at the FSH? I have been second guessing our decision and wondering if we should have booked the elbow beach or tried to book teh reefs instead. I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM

We do really enjoy staying at the Fairmont Southampton. We have stayed there 4 times. The first time was on our honeymoon almost 18 years ago, before it was owned by Fairmont, and then we have been there the last 3 years in June with our children.

We really like the hotel because it is a large, full-service resort. However,
there are pros and cons to staying at a large resort. To me one con - especially when considering travel without children - is that the hotel caters to groups and families. I did see many honeymoon couples and other child-free couples around however. Another con is that the hotel is not right on the beach - you have to take the trolley down. It is less convenient, but not a huge ordeal.

The pros to me far outweigh the cons. The hotel is beautiful and elegant. We have had both oceanfront and harbor view rooms, and my favorite is the harbor view. You really "see" Bermuda with the harbor view - the houses, the boats, and you'll hear the rooster crow in the morning! (It is not at all annoying - really). There are very nice shops in the hotel and the lounge off the lobby is a great place to sit back and relax either before or after dinner.

The spa is wonderful there! They do have an indoor pool that has glass doors so that it is open to the outside. The lounge chairs outside look out over the ocean - it is a beautiful spot. It is only open to those who have a spa appointment, or to someone who pays $25/day or $65/wk to use the fitness and spa facilities. It is open after 6:30 p.m. to anyone. I was there on a day that I had a spa appointment and it was so quiet and relaxing.

I also like the ability to use the free ferry over to Hamilton. You catch that ferry down by the Waterlot. It's a beautiful ride that takes about 25 minutes. We use the buses a lot too, so if you go one way on the ferry, you can always take the bus or a taxi back to the hotel at your convenience.

If you have any other specific questions I'll try to answer them for you. You will have a fabulous time in Bermuda. It is so different from any other island that I've visited.

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

I was so glad to hear that you enjoy the Harbor view more than the oceanfront. We wanted an ocean front, but all they had was smoking, so we took the harbour view. I have been second guessing that decision, but will no longer! I am a little concerned about that rooster though- we like to sleep in! I am very excited about our upcoming trip and thank you for your posts- they have been very helpful.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Don't worry about the rooster. He's at a house way down the hill, and you don't hear him unless you open the door to your balcony. Have a great time on your trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

I do have a few questions- 1) how casual was the whalers inn? we like to make a night out of dinner, so would that fit the bill? 2) does the SHP suffer from the usual antics of people getting up at 6 a.m. to grab a pool beach chair?
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:43 AM

We dressed for dinner at Whaler Inn however a few patrons were a little more casual...skirts and tops with the men in polo shirts and slacks. No one was in jeans or shorts for dinner.

We've gone to the SHP beach in the afternoon and have always found chairs, however, we've had to walk to the far end of the beach to get them, but that was OK with us....less people over there.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Forgot to add that while you are staying at the SHP you should walk next door to beautiful Horseshoe Bay beach. If you rent scooters be sure to stop at Warwick Long Bay and the public part of Elbow Beach. For a romantic spot you'll have virtually to yourselves, go to Astwood Cove.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:19 PM

I agree with Elaine on both questions. I do think that you can make an evening out of dinner at the Whaler. We never felt rushed. Also, we have never had a problem getting a beach chair. If it is not windy, they will put up an umbrella for you wherever you decide to sit. You can get to Horshoe bay by taking the trolley down to the beach and walking to the top of the parking lot where you will see a cut-through to Horseshoe Bay.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:31 PM

We ate at the Waterlot in fall 2003. We were so looking forward to it because my inlaws loved the place when they lived there 30 years ago. I think it is now owned by one of the big hotel chains. We were a bit let down by the experience. It is definitely more of an old-fashioned traditional "gourmet" menu than a modern, creative cuisine style like the 5th Floor in San Fran or Cafe Atlantico in DC. I had osso buco with a marrow bone that could have come from a dinosaur. It was enormous!

We thought the service was a little less than stellar and the food was fine but not amazing. The place is charming looking, though. It was worth going once, but more for the old Bermuda atmosphere than for an evening of food exploration.

We really enjoyed a place in town near a big government building. I wonder if someone can help with the name. I think it may have been Soleil. We had the tasting menu of maybe 6-8 courses of Mediterranean-style food. A lot of seafood dishes with a Provencal/ Italian style preparation. We really enjoyed it!
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM

BlueSwimmer, the Waterlot has recently become the new Rib Room (owned by the Fairmont Southampton. What was the old Rib Room is now an Italian restaurant (name escapes me).

Could the Mediterranean restaurant you are thinking of be Monte Carlo?

BTW...for anyone traveling to Bermuda in the next few weeks, the taxi strike is now over.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Really? Didn't know they were on strike. Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Don't skip Ascots at the Royal Palms. Take the Fairmont water ferry to Hamilton and walk up the hill. Great food.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Has anyone had high tea at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess and if so, did you enjoy it?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Elaine-

Yep! It was Monte Carlo. Thanks! The tasting menu was wonderful.

It the Waterlot name now defunct?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 07:21 AM

We were there 6/24-6/27 and it was still called Waterlot then.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:24 AM

The Waterlot has been under the mangagement of the Princess hotel for many years. It will be interesting to see how it does as a steak-chop house.

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:59 AM

BlueSwimmer...below is the link to the article on the Rib Room/Waterlot from the Bermuda Sun on 7/2....

http://www.bermudasun.bm/archives/2004-07-02/03Business

I'll be in Bermuda at the Fairmont Southampton on 7/16 and will check on status. Maybe they're keeping the name but it appears they're changing the menu.

BTW...there was a good article in the Mid-Ocean News on the Oriental Buffet at Elbow Beach. Has anyone who has been to Bermuda recently tried this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -