Bermuda: Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone in my husband's office mentioned this to him as a possibility for our stay in September. I PROMISE this will be my last post requesting info about a property, but is this a good place to stay if we want a combination of city and beach?? Thanks for any help! I did check out some apartments, but many of them are either too pricey or seem too remote w/out a car. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 05:01 AM

Check out my trip report.. I stayed there 2 weeks ago... I highly recommend it! It's on the harbour but close enough to beaches. I think they even have a shuttle to Horseshoe Bay. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also Paula at Newstead can help with any questions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:13 AM

Newstead is on the inner harbor. The main city of Hamilton is directly across the harbor, so you'll have to take advantage of Newstead's ferry to town. From there, you can catch the bus to the beaches. (If they have a shuttle to Horseshoe, that's a good start, too - maybe they'll drop you off at the entrance to a few of the other less-crowded beaches.) It's a very nice property- we had DH's 40th birthday party there. They host a Friday-night happy hour that is very popular.
Hope that helps -and we won't be upset when you come back with your next property question!!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Golfer2010 and txgirlinbda! I don't want to be a question "pig"! Husband wants beachbeachbeach, but I was hoping to have more flexibility/dining options than we'd have staying at a hotel. We had a good stay at The Fairmont SOuthampton a few years ago, but could literally hear everything coming from the hall and next door. Was hoping for a bit more privacy and space, and as it turns out, Newstead is roughly the same amount of money.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM

Txgirlinbda is correct by saying you don't have to worry about asking questions. I was asking questions on and off for a few months before my trip. You will get plenty of people helping.
I realize after I was there that I look forward to giving my views on Bermuda and helping as much as I was helped.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

OK then, Golfer2010!

Here's my next question: If you were mostly interested in beaches, would you stay at Newstead? My husband will not be happy if it's not easy to get to one of those wonderful beaches he remembers. THanks for your advice!

And if I can reciprocate, especially about Greece or Italy ( I know I know- the other forum!) lt me know. Just got back.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM

I just noticed you said some of the rentals were too remote without a car. Just wanted to remind you, a rental car is not an option in Bermuda. But there is a terrific public transportation system.

I will just reiterate what Golfer and txgirlinbda have said, most people who love Bermuda love to talk about it. So ask away!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, cmcfong!

Yes, I forgot about rental cars on Bermuda!! DUH.... Now I am thinking again of Pompano, only because my husband really wants to be on a beach. Fairmont Southampton has some horrible reviews on tripadvisor, and I wasn't really crazy about the "bigness" and remoteness of it last time around. I know you've stayed at Pompano. WOuld you recommend it??? THanks so much!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:56 PM

I have stayed at Pompano and I loved it. I recommend it for great views, a nice swimming beach and incredible staff. It is an all round very nice place to stay. If you want to go to Hamilton or Dockyards the staff will drive you to the ferry dock or the bus stop....or you can walk. I started nearly every day with a walk on the Bermuda Railway Trail, usually down to the littlest drawbridge and back. I was very happy there. Pompano is farther west than Fairmont, next to Port Royal Golf Course.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM

By walk, I mean walk to the ferry or bus stop not Hamilton!
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:43 AM

We choose Newstead cause we enjoy watching the activity in the harbour. Sail boats and ferry during the day and lights of Hamilton in the evening. As far as "bigness" of places, that's one thing we wanted to avoid. At Newstead, we saw maybe 25 people all week, mostly owners. Not the hundreds that other places could potentially hold. But that was our preference.
But we did take a 5 minute taxi ride to Elbow beach one afternoon for lunch and to check out the beach. So even if you are inland the beach is very close.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Golfer2010,

Thank you! What about dining options? Looks to me like the ferry schedule is meant more for business travelers, not vacationers at Newstead. Seems pretty limited in the times offered. I really don't want to need a taxi or bus every time we'd like to get dinner, and don't want to feel "stuck" at the resort, even if the food is good. What do you think? Thanks again...
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 05:19 AM

Getting to Hamilton should not be a problem. Unless it's mid-day. On weekdays I think the last Newstead shuttle from Hamilton was 720pm (Paula can confirm). But the public ferry ($2.50) goes later 7pm,8pm,9pm. You take it to the Hodsdon's Ferry stop about a 2 minute walk from Newstead's stop. Weekends I'm not sure about but probably more limited schedule.
I think no matter where you stay, if you want to try different places, you might need a taxi sooner or later.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM

If you want to go into Hamilton for dinner most evenings, Pompano would not be a great choice for you. the ferry stop (Rockaway) which is closest to Pompano has a limited schedule. check the ferry schedule.
http://www.seaexpress.bm/portal/server.pt

The public ferries which are available for Newstead run pretty regularly except on Sundays and holidays when service ends early. While the buses are fine, I am not sure it would be your first preference for evenings out. Taxis from Pompano would be more expensive than a taxi from Newstead.

Most of the Pompano guests select the meal plan and utilize the dine around (Reefs and Cambridge Beaches when I last checked, but double check that).

I think if walking out the door and on to the beach is your husband's preference and you want to be able to do relatively easy access for dinner to Hamilton, I think Coco Reef or Elbow Beach are the closest to meeting your needs.

There are several good restaurants on the South Shore (Reefs' restaurants, Henry VIII, the Dining Room at the Lighthouse, and Fourways, Bleu and Beau Rivage are outside Hamilton, all good choices.