Bermuda hotels with young kids?

Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Bermuda hotels with young kids?

We were thinking of a family vacation in Bermuda with a 7 and 4 year old with a childrens program for the summer. Any hotel suggestions and how long to stay in Bermuda coming from NY. Thanks!
Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:01 PM

One week is a nice trip. We took our kids to the Reefs, but that is primarily an adult resort with no children's programs. The larger hotels, Elbow Beach, Southampton Princess(Fairmont) and the new Wyndam should have children's programs. The princess is up on a hill and you must shuttle to the beach. (In my opinion, not great with little ones) The Elbow beach is a very nice large beach. (have not stayed here though, just visited the beach area.) and the Wyndam just took over the Sonesta and is currently renovating. The Wyndam has a cove beach with calm water and may be great for kids. I would check it out especially since there is no meal plan requirement and the rooms are being renovated. My kids loved Bermuda!
May 15th, 2005, 08:14 PM

Hi Lumar:

I am from Bermuda and the two hotels that I would reccomend are Farimont Southampton and Wyndam.

Fairmont has a good day care/camp service for the kids. The beach is a shuttle bus ride dwn the hill but it is managable with two kids. They also have a babysitting service.

Wyndam has just renovated and has a great beach. It is kid friendly. they have also just opened a new water park on site which should be fun for the kids as well.

Either of those are great and if you were looking to go in the summer I wouldnt mind babysitting for you if you ever needed to!

Hope that helps.
May 16th, 2005, 05:47 AM

sallyann,

what hotel in bermuda would you suggest for a couple in their early 50's. Pompano beach or Cambridge beaches?
May 16th, 2005, 07:21 PM

I would suggest Pompano because of location. It has a golf course right across from it and there is easy access to a bus stop. It is also secluded so you will not have a big problem with noise.

I cant really comment on the actual hotel itself because I am a local and I dont get to stay in the hotels but I would definately suggest Pompano.
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:16 AM

my husband and i just returned from the fairmont southampton. we have been there for many occasions, and honeymooned there 25 years ago. we are definately partial to the place and observed a few things while we were there. the pool was loaded with families, tons of toddlers, strollers and parents, nannies having a ball. they put in a small baby pool with a slide and it definately was a hit. the hotel is gorgeous with lots of kid friendly restaurants and i dont think you can go wrong with kids here. they are definately welcome where as years ago it was not as family orientated. i saw a kids club which my kids participated in nine years ago, and the indoor pool opens to kids at 6:30, a great way to end the day for them. the trolly is not a big deal and alot of the toddlers i saw loved the quick ride. it's like mr rogers in paradise! i would not however recommend this place for teens, which i feel would be bored to tears...they have umbrellas on the beach, you definately need to take cover as the sun is brutal and the ocean is calm and warm...and outside of the hotel there are a ton of kid friendly places to eat. another very big plus is the distance on the plane, quick, quick, quick, and with toddlers you cannot go wrong with that. we took our kids years ago and they loved it and still talk about the aquarium...i think a week would be enough for toddlers, we stayed two weeks when we went and it was heaven on earth..have fun making memories....as for older couples, i watched many couples over fifty dance the night away in the cellar lounge as well as the lounge upstairs looking as happy as ever! i will definately return...
Jul 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM

It really depends on what type of hotel you like. If you are into mega resorts that have hundreds of rooms, lots of restaurants, and lots of organized activities, then the Fairmont Southampton or the Wyndam would be your choice. Of the two, the Fairmont is certainly much nicer (probably the only 5 star property on the island), but some people are turned off by having to take a shuttle to the beach. The Wyndam is a 3-4 star property, but does have a quiet cove beach and a water park for the kids.

The other type of resort on the island are the smaller, more intimate ones. These include the Reefs, Cambridge Beaches and Pompano. All are very nice, but with small children I think Pompano would be best because of its beach, which has a sandbar that goes quite far out. In addition, Pompano is a bit more casual than the Reefs or Cambridge Beaches.

For a couple in their 50s, it again depends on what kind of hotel you like. For a mega resort, the Fairmont Southampton would be your first choice. But if you like the intimacy of a smaller place, then one of the other three resorts would be best. My personal favorite is Pompano. I just like the way the rooms are located, and the staff is particularly friendly and helpful. The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches, while certainly very nice, are just a bit stuffy for my tastes.
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:23 PM

just back from elbow beach with my 2 kids and another family w/3 kids...they ranged from 5-11...being that it was july 4 week there was plenty of families there...the beach was beautiful but at times the water can get rough for small kids...the olders ones enjoyed the waves...the pool was also a nice size with a large shallow area .....a problem mite be that there is a steep hill to walk from the main resort to the beach, but shuttles are available...go into hamilton on wed nights as they close the streets down and have activities for the kids....enjoy bermuda
Jul 15th, 2005, 09:18 AM

We're heading to Elbow Beach for a week with 3rd grader in tow. Read recent disparaging reviews on tripadvisor.com but the ones on this string sound more promising. Helpful hints from travel forums to bring our own snorkling gear. Will likely do the Wed nite excursion to Hamilton, Crystal Caves, glass-bottom boat ride & aquarium, but mostly stay at Elbow so good to read there's plenty there (big beach, waves, tennis, pool). Do ask for one of the renovated rooms or you'll end up writing poor reviews like in tripadvisor.com. Any other reader reactions to Elbow or other things to do on Bermuda would be greatly appreciated. Dress code at Elbow's restaurants? (men & women's) Haven't decided yet on the MAP meal plans.
Jul 16th, 2005, 05:13 AM

hello bermudabound,we did not do the meal plan b/c we wanted to try other places to eat.we were going to get the beakfast plan but its not woth it unless you do the buffet every morning,even then no real savings...we ate at micky's one night, dress is casual as its on their beach, not sure about their other restaurants.we ate ate henry VIII,portofino's in hamilton and la trattoria also in hamilton and all were casual and kid friendly...the dockyard area on tues has a fair with dancers might be worth checking out, it was cancelled when we were there...the maritime museum is in that area , so is dolphin quest..we had a jr suite that needed updating, but it was clean and a nice size...since we only slept in the room wasnt a big deal..at the beach,ask for mike from ontario,canada,,sit in his section,great service every day, worth the extra tip we gave him. the girls at the pool were great also.....enjoy
Jul 18th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Did anyone experience a blackout last week? A posting on tripadvisor.com mentioned one covering most restaurants and department stores. Also, the weather hasn't and doesn't look so dry per weather.com or was it better than per that web site?
Jul 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM

the weather.com forcast for the week i was there was 60% rain for every day of the week..however, we only had one rain shower that lasted 10 minutes the whole time we were there..we were told they are having a very dry season so far which is causing water shortages throuh out the island
Jul 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM

thanks joe555 for the weather report. can't always trust weather.com. Also appreciate your dining out options. we'll try yours and maybe Bistro J and Barracuda Grill. Would you recommend making reservations at one of Elbow's restaurants prior to arrival? (we arrive on a Sunday so figured most places are closed and Elbow's restaurants would be packed) Will ask for Mike on the beach as well for super service.
Jul 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM

bermudabound...hello..we didnt have any problems with dinner reservations and we were with another family..9 people total..the concierge made them for us and mike the beach server made them for us at mikeys, as we were enjoying sunning and asked if hed do it for us..our party found it very funny reading reading all the negative reviews on tripadvisor b/c we had none of the problems mentioned except for the dated rooms...yes they are far from the best/nicest,but the beach and pool more than make up for it which was why we were there....
Jul 19th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Just got back from Bermuda--we had great weather, some days a bit too humid
than the past years. Yes, we had the black out too. The whole island lost power due to an electical fire at the Hamilton Belco plant. We lost power at our hotel at 3 am, it was back on around 9 pm. I must say the island did
a fantastic job!