Bermuda for Anniversary

May 7th, 2000, 07:50 PM
Debbie

Bermuda for Anniversary

We are planning a trip to Bermuda. Maybe cruising over there. I don't hear to much about Bermuda. We went to Nassau Bahamas last year. It was ok, just want to know if Bermuda is better? Is it as expensive? Would it be better to cruise or fly? I know in the Bahamas 3 or 4 days is about all I could stand. What amount of time should I plan to stay?

Thanks any info. will be greatly appreciated!

May 8th, 2000, 05:02 AM
Robyn

Debbie:
Bermuda is very, very different from Nassau (I've been to both). As a Canadian, I found Bermuda prices slightly higher than those in Nassau. Bermuda is a very pretty, very civilized place. I didn't cruise so I can't advise regarding that. The best time to visit Bermuda is between May and October. The most dominating cultural influences are American and British. In Bermuda, you won't encounter people trying to sell you anything. It used to be very exclusive but in the past couple of years, they have been trying to become more "accessible". Despite its size, it's not an easy island to get around since tourists cannot rent cars, however, the bus, ferry and taxi services are very good. I definitely think it would make a good 3 to 4 day trip.

May 8th, 2000, 07:55 AM
Parrot Mom

Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda....romantic and lovely no matter how you get there...I recommend cruising..it's very expensive staying and flying there.. You can leave out of Boston or New York...the people are friendly, the island clean and easy to get around by bus or ferry....the scooters and their passengers seem to have too many accidents to suit me. In the past 7 years have been there 5 times by ship and working on Parrot Pop to book last minute trip this year. Wouldn't sail before the end of May and then depending on storms it's okay until the first of October... For more info please write me off the board...

May 8th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Jack

If you are a "beach bum" Bermuda is not for you. If you like history, art, golf, shopping, diving, romance, and peace & quiet on a civilized, friendly, safe, beautiful island, consider Bermuda. My wife has gone to the Bahamas and says it just doesn't compare - Bermuda is the place she wants to return to. We went for 8 days and loved every moment of it. I would fly - you then have time to expore the island. However, we met many on the island that cruse there every year.

As for info, just read many of the postings on this forum.

Just go and have fun!

May 8th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Betty

Bermuda...hands down! My favourite of all the "Caribbean" Islands. I would fly - not expensive and only a couple of hours from eastern seaboard. Why waste time cruising the rough Atlantic when you could be enjoying the island.

I agree, Bermuda can be expensive. BUT it can be inexpensive too. My husband & I are Candians and we go for 7 days for about $2500 Cdn. That includes airfare.

There is a lady in Toronto, Fiona Campbell, who rents out places in private homes. She advertises in Islands Magazine. (416) 232-2243 or www.bermudarentals.com You can get studios, one, two, and three bedroom units, even whole houses. Prices start from $75US. Our favourite is the Wheelhouse but that's only a one-bedroom apartment.

We did the scooter thing and loved the freedom to go anywhere we pleased. Yes, you have to watch it. Like any Caribbean island, they drive fast and on the left. On one trip, we did over 500km in a week.

I don't agree with the posting about don't go to Bermuda if you're a beach bum. We love the water. Sitting on beautiful pink beaches...some even secluded and private just for two. We also love snorkeling and found places in Bermuda that were just as good as other islands.

As you can tell. I love Bermuda. We've been twice. Want to go again but figured we should check out other islands. We're cruising the southern Caribbean next week and I think my husband will enjoy the 6 islands, but maybe except for Barbados, I know he'll want to return to Bermuda.

Betty in Toronto

May 8th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Debbie

Deb - Bermuda, Bermuda, Bermuda is right-couldn't agree more with the previous posters. We flew to Bermuda a few years ago for our anniversary (late May), and just fell in love with the island. Although it's very upscale (read expensive), we found it to be quite safe and friendly. There's lots to see/do, or you can just enjoy the beautiful beaches. No beach or street vendors to interrupt your trip. No fast food places to make you feel at home (the only McDonalds-which was on a US military base-has also closed). No rental cars allowed, but it was nice not to have the hassle of renting one. The public transportation is excellent. Wasn't brave enough to rent a scooter, but we still got around to the entire island a couple of times during our stay by taking the bus. We stayed at a beautiful B&B where we enjoyed a full breakfast (not a continental one) accompanied by the local morning paper - our vantage point was this big, big beautiful porch, where, while over breakfast, we'd plan our day.

I personally would fly there rather than take a cruise. It's not that far from the US mainland, but, in my opinion, it takes too long to get there/back and offers too little time on the island. However, getting there in a nice, leisurly manner and not having to worry about carry-on or check and fetch luggage does have its advantages. Bermuda is my benchmark for vacations-so far, little else has come close. ENJOY !!

May 16th, 2000, 05:18 AM
maryann

I also plan an anniversary trip to Bermuda in August and would like to be beachside but not at a big resort. has anyone been to Marley Beach Cottages? Angel's Grotto sounds nice but not on the beach? Does anyone have any good accommodation ideas? Thanks.

May 16th, 2000, 06:55 AM
Brent

As for the question regarding where to stay....we stayed at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort and were extremely pleased with accomodations, and restaurants. I know you can find some wonderful deals on clothing in Bermuda!!

May 16th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Penny

A friend of mine stayed at the Marley Beach and loved it. We stay at the Surfside Beach Club and I highly recommend it. Both are small hotels,on the beach,central location and located on South Road. I have been to Bermuda many times -it is unique,a world unto itsself and worth exploring. We stayed at The Grotto and hated it years ago-because it has a small beach,its far from Hamilton and South Road.

May 18th, 2000, 07:53 AM
MaryAnn

Penny, I noticed that in 1998 there were some responses about not staying at Marley, lots of bad comments. Did you friend stay there recently. Surfside does sound nice, too. Thanks for your help!

May 19th, 2000, 02:27 PM
Carl

Debbie, My wife and I have visited Bermuda for one week every year for the last six, and many scattered times before that. We still have not run out of things to do. Crusing is the best bargain if money is most important, but if you can swing the airfare and a nice smaller beachside hotel, you'll get the best feel for the Bermudians themselves, along with more time to explore. We always stay at The Reefs on the South Shore. Great beach, wonderful food...but don't wait 'till the last minute because they book up fast. Whatever you decide, you'll love Bermuda!

Jul 29th, 2000, 09:09 AM
brenda

You may say that we are almost Bermudians(I wish). We are leaving on august 5th for a couple of weeks, this will be our 15th time. My husband and I are one of the lucky people who are allowed to housesit for friends in Bermuda. I haven't much information on hotels there since we don't stay in one , but would be more than happy to check out information over there if I can't help you. Feel free to contact me. Have also been to many other islands to compare things to...
Brenda