Search

Bermuda and scooters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bermuda and scooters

We would really like to see the island when we cruise in for two days and wondered if two person scooter would be enjoyable travel?
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM

That depends. Do you have any experience driving a scooter or motorcycle? Are you comfortable carrying a passenger? Do you have confidence in your ability to adjust to driving on the left, on narrow, winding roads, amid traffic that constantly exceeds the speed limit?

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but I see scooter accidents on a DAILY basis here. There's very little provided by the rental companies in the way of rider preparation.

There's an excellent bus and ferry system here that covers the entire island. You could get two 2-day passes much cheaper than a rental.

If you're very comfortable on a scooter, then yes, a scooter might be a good option for you. But if not, please stick with public transportation.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 07:17 AM

I agree that scooters are unsafe unless you are an experienced rider. The buses and ferries will do the job nicely.
Old Nov 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM

I humbly disagree. Have visited Bermuda and ridden rental scooters many times.

Speed limit is very low in BDA and there are many, many scooters on the roads due to limits on cars, both conditions making it more conducive to riding a scooter.

The scooters are very easy to get the hang of, if you can ride a bicycle you can ride the step-through scooters.

Oh, I did have a major crash off a scooter last time in Bermuda... but it was an empty dry road in the morning.. just lost concentration, so totally my fault... in other words, just like any motorised bike, make sure you concentrate, as if you come off, you will get hurt.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Here is a link for a Royal Gazette editorial on this issue.
http://tinyurl.com/56ar6y

I have been riding scooters safely in Bermuda for well over thirty years and follow some rules:
1. never ride after drinking
2. never ride at night
3. never ride during the rain
4. avoid rush hour
5. obey the speed limit (you will be the only one, but do it)
6. Stay as far to the edge of the road as possible and pull over when you get traffic backed up behind you.

That said, I typically visit in the winter when there are fewer tourists and the roads just aren't as crowded with novice riders. If your cruise is during the summer months and you are not an experienced rider, take the excellent Bermuda public transportation system's offerings and leave the bikes to others. There were sixty seven accidents in the last month alone according to the Royal Gazette.
The most beautiful ride I have ever taken on any transportation system is a sunset ride on a Bermuda ferry. Beautiful and safe. Enjoy your trip. Bermuda is another world.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM

I would be (and have been) very hesitant. A friend lost her brother in a scooter accident -- please keep in mind you're risking more than a skinned knee or busted elbow! Of course there's inherent risk in everything, but riding an unfamiliar vehicle through an unfamiliar area where you'll need to remember to drive on the left -- that get tricky. Honestly, I have trouble just crossing the street in left-side countries -- I always look the wrong way before stepping out.

As one poster said, you'll be fine if you pay attention and don't lose concentration. But sightseeing doesn't exactly lend itself to concentration or keeping your eyes on the road! On a bus or in a cab, you can stare out the window all you want
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 06:57 PM

: txgirlinbda is absolutely right.. the dirty secret in Bermuda is the deaths.. I think and I hope I'm wrong.. that there have been 19 this year, not all tourists..Last time in Bermuda there were TWO ambulances waiting back in Boston.. a woman with a broken leg, one with a broken arm and several with road tan.. The roads are narrow, there are turnabouts to just mention a few hazards. The ferry system to the Dockyard, Hamilton and St. George is wonderful.. and the bus system works out.. We sit on the balcony of the Swizzle Inn and hear the Bermuda Symphony (ambulances) all the time.. FORGET ABOUT IT...
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM

As of December 1st, there have been 15 deaths here from road accidents. I think only one was a tourist.