Bermuda-a few of my favorite things

Jul 31st, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Bermuda-a few of my favorite things

I love Bermuda. Marion asked me to post some of my favorite things to do there, so here goes. If you love Bermuda, too, join me. Several regular posters are considering a visit there and they may find just the perfect reason!
1. Ride the ferry. This is the most wonderful form of public transportation. Beautiful views of the islands from the water.
2. Walk the Railway Trail.
3. Eat! Fresh Bermuda snapper....ummmmm.
4. Sit on Horseshoe Bay at sunrise. (OK, sit on Horseshoe Bay any time)
5. Ride my moped. These are dangerous, but they give you the freedom to stop and enjoy the beauties of Bermuda at will.
6. Go to the Christmas Boat Parade.
7. Snorkel Church Bay.
8. Dive.
9. Visit the Botanical Gardens and home tours.
10. Nothing!

come on, STW, ParrotMom, Penny, MadameX, lovestogo, all the Bermuda Obsessed. Let's hear your favorites!!
Jul 31st, 2006, 08:21 AM

1)Floating for hours on a blow-up raft on the calm waters of Shelly Bay Beach (99 cent raft brought from home and left for the next visitor)

2)Climbing the 185 steps of Gibb's lighthouse...then crashing into the water at Horseshoe Bay to cool off.

3)Enjoying a purple "Longtail" cocktail at the Docksider Pub...(or anywhere)

4)Remembering Archie, Ross, Roy, and Austin Talbot, listening to "Bermuda is Another World", and "Bermuda Buggy Ride" and going anywhere the Talbots music is playing....and requesting their songs and receiving a knowing smile from the band as they happily oblige.

5) Remembering the times we followed them from hotel to hotel all around the island, and became official groupies I guess... and later following them to NYC....just for the night, to hear them play once again.

6) Back home, listening to old vinyls of the Talbot Brothers, and remembering....
Jul 31st, 2006, 10:22 AM

Thanks cmcfong !

I don't know why I never considered Bermuda as a destination.

In my part of the country, we have Bermuda lovers and another group who dismiss it.

While at Nisbet, the owner of Nisbet and The Reefs, was in residence for a few days.

If The Reefs is managed in the same way as Nisbet, I decided that a little more research was needed.

I am thinking about Christmas there. Though I know it won't be warm enough to swim, it certainly will be warmer than the coast of Maine

Your additional thoughts are welcome.

I'm probably not going to board a ferry unless there is easy access ;-) Any moped is out of the question..even yours

Marion
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Marion, I go nearly every year in December. I love it. I don't swim in the ocean but most hotel pools are heated. The Reefs is a lovely and popular property with a mindblowing view from every room. Highly recommended. But, there are lots of other great places there, too.
Yes, stay off the moped!!!! Fortunately, Bermuda has a great public transportation system and the moped need never be a concern.
Jul 31st, 2006, 11:26 AM

Thanks !

I'm certainly not limiting myself to The Reefs.

Would love to hear about your favorite spots and where you stay ?

Thanks again,

Marion
Jul 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM

Itís obvious that cmcfong is a Bermuda veteran. Bermuda is special to us since it was our first trip outside the US. The ferry is Bermudaís best bargain. Inexpensive and you canít beat the views. Even if you have a moped/scooter leave it at one of the ferry stops and visit Hamilton via the ferry.

While the South shore beaches are great we were partial to tiny Whale Bay beach since we could easily walk to it. Watch the tides, it disappears at high tide.

We loved Church Bay for snorkeling. Not only is the snorkeling decent, itís very convenient and in a perfect setting.

Wow the Railway Trail. Another relatively hidden Bermuda gem.

For something different, walk the Royal Navy cemetery. Tons of history in this place. I've read that there's a sea glass beach nearby.

Since Iím a big fan of palms, we also visit the private Palm Grove Garden in Devonshire Parish.

Bermuda has the stigma of being expensive but, if you do your homework, you can stay there for the same amount as other islands.
Jul 31st, 2006, 02:31 PM

Thanks so much cmcfong. There have been some really good Bermuda threads here lately.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

I am so delighted if I can interest other folks in Bermuda. As you probably guessed it is my favorite place.
Where to stay...now that depends on my budget (this varies from year to year depending on how spoiled Ms cmcfong has already been).
On the cheap and willing to stay in town, I love the Rosemont. It has a full kitchen and the most amazing view of the harbor. Up until about six months ago this was family owned. Now it has been acquired by the former GM of the Reefs (this is probably an indicator of improvements and $$$ increases).
In town and want b and b: Royal Palms
In town and high end: the Waterloo House. I love this place. It is an old sea captain's house, full of antiques (not counting me) and gorgeous views of the harbor. Plus it has a first rate restaurant and fantastic gardens.

On the beach, definitely a cottage colony. My personal favorite is Cambridge Beaches, but I also like Pink Beach, Pompano and Ariel Sands.

Hotel on the beach: the Reefs is tops, but I also like Coco Reef.

Cheap and on the beach, Marley Beach. Spartan accomodations, incredible views. No amenities but a pool and beach. Very, very romantic.

Overall favorite place, Fourways Inn. I get a room with harbor view. I can walk to the ferry or the rr trail and the beach. I love this place. I am nearly always the only guest when I visit in Dec. The restaurant is fabulous. I appreciate the breakfast on silver service delivered to the room overlooking the garden. Very self indulgent.
Go!
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

PS, Marion, the ferries are easy to board and will not present a problem.
Jul 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM

I love Bermuda too!!! It was the first island my family went to back in 1976. I was 12 and thought it was wow!!I still do. Marion, I have been to the Reefs, the Wyndam when it was the Sonesta and the Fairmont Southhampton a couple of times. The Reefs is the most personal Bermudian experience. The people are all very nice and the food is delicious. The best hotel beach is Elbow Beach. We sat on their beach while mopeding around the island. (If mopeding is actually a word?). The Fairmont is a full scale hotel with tv's. The bus system is excellent, clean and safe.
The best parts: The island is pretty everywhere. The people are warm and friendly. The whole island has the British feel with afternoon tea and cakes served everywhere. People dress for dinner. (That reminds me I am on vacation.)The snorkeling is wonderful. The shopping used to be good. I have heard that that has changed though. I liked the English stores. I have several sweaters that I have never worn, but they were salmon colored and it looked good there. I am going to dig that one out if it ever gets below 90 degrees here on the east coast.

Anyway, go to Bermuda.
Aug 1st, 2006, 09:17 AM

cmcfong,

I have several questions for you, which would bore the board ;-)

If you could email me privately, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks !

Marion
[email protected]

Aug 1st, 2006, 10:26 AM

Just popped in for a moment and found this thread, cmcfong!

I'll post back with my list...love Bermuda!
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM

Bermuda...what you should try at least once...

1) Take a rum swizzle cruise! Last time we took one, they mixed the swizzle in a big drum -- ahhhh!

2) Visit the "Swizzle Inn" where you "Swizzle Inn and Swagger Out" You get an added bonus buzz if you're hot and thirsty when you get there -- you won't know what hit ya! Warning: Do not drive a moped when visiting!

3) Visit the Crystal Cave. This is a one time thing, but fun to do. Afterwards, get an ice cream at Bailey's Ice Cream & Food D'Lites -- yummy!

4)Take a sunset champagne catamaran cruise (Fantasea) - very relaxing and romantic.

5) Have dinner at Aqua located at Ariel Sands - Great view of the ocean, outstanding food - time it right for a magnificent sunset.

6) Bring along a disposable underwater camera and go snokeling! There are great rock formations past Horseshoe Bay which are great for a snuggle and some fish sightings.

7) Shopping in Hamilton. Although sadly a couple of my favorite stores are now closed. Buy a watch. I did! Movado, great price.

8) Stroll past the Harbour (in Hamilton) and watch the kiddies at sail school. Amazing!

9) Ride the ferry -- the best value, IMO!

10) Did I mention the rum swizzles?

I Bermuda!
Aug 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

I knew you would come through with some good ideas for Marion, STW. You are definitely my kind of girl.
Aug 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM

Is Jimmy Keyes still playing in Bermuda? He was so funny. We saw him for the first time many years ago (I was only 19)at the King Henry the VIII's and then again at the Southhampton Fairmont hotel just a few years ago.
So, if he is still around, he was a great piano/comedian show.
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM

--I LOVED the Gombey Dancers. How come no one else has mentioned them? They are fantastic and not to be missed.

--I loved swimming at Elbow Beach, with the really calm, crystal water and the glorious pink sand.
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM

I hope they have virgin swizzles!
I don't drink alcohol.
where would one go to see the Gombey dancers?
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM

In the summertime, Gombey dancers perform on Wednesdays on Front Street in Hamilton. I think that they also perform at Royal Dockyard on Thursday nights and Flatts Village on Tuesday nights.

I think that they perform at the various hotels around Christmas time.

You do not have to pay to watch the performance, as it is performed on the street. You could probably get a virgin swizzle at a bar or restaurant nearby. Also, many shops extend hours until 9:00 pm on the performance nights.

It is difficult to get a bus to Hamilton on Wednesday nights, however. We wound up taking a cab for about $10 coming from Elbow Beach.
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Are the Gombey dancers like the "Junkanoo" dancers ? Masks and costumes?
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

similar, JAGIRL. Here is a good link with descriptive info http://tinyurl.com/py74o

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO