Reload this Page >

Bequia - cheapest way to get there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 06:13 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'm planning my first Carribean trip and have settled on Bequia as a likely destination. Looking for a quiet, relatively non-commercial destination with good beaches, snorekeling, diving and a laid-back atmosphere - not into glitz or night life and hoping to do this on a BUDGET. It appears that lodging prices there are very reasonable year round but the issue is airfare. I'm told that there may be alternate forms of transport (e.g. ferries or mailboats) that could get me there from Barbados or similar locales. Does anyone have experience to share on this? Is it really cheaper or will it take too large a chunk of time from my schedule (I'll have only 9 days total including travel time from the northeastern US). Also, if there are similar islands closer to US I'm open to suggestions........ <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 11:30 AM
Louis

Bequia is not easy to get to and you might better consider a dive package to the Bahamas or Turks and Caicos instead. The out islands of the Bahamas have everything you want. Harbor Island off of Eluthera is a good bet.The next best bet would be BVI. Either Tortola or Cooper Island. You can get there in a day for about $600 RT. Take advantage of the new search capability now on the Forum to locate information on islands. I don't know what you researched but Bequia is not a place to go for diving. I don't know if they have a dive shop on the island. I forgot, St.John, you have camp facilities in the park. Depending on transportation costs, this might be your best bet. There are fine beaches, almost no glitz or night life.

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 03:39 AM
Bob M

You don't say where you are coming from. I live on Bequia and would be more than happy to help. <BR> <BR>I find that the best way to get here from the US is American to Puerto Rico and then American Eagle to St. Vincent. We are a short ferry ride from there. <BR> <BR>Bob <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 04:09 AM
K Noel

I visited Bequia in February via Windjammer. It was my favorite stop! I hope that you stick to your plans and go there--you'll find that it is completely non-comercialized and beautiful! Sometimes those places that are the most difficult to get to are the best....... <BR>

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 05:17 AM
Owen O'Neill

Thanks for all the suggestions folks - <BR>I did some research on the Bahamas outislands but still lean towards Bequia. I may settle just for snorkeling but research indicates there are several dive shops on the island. I'm coming there from NY state and will investigate the Puerto Rico route. Thus far, it appears that flying from Toronto (closer to me than NYC) to Barbados and then to SV for the ferry is $200 less than other options. I will check the PR route, as it's very compettive from NYC. Thanks!! <BR>

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 07:22 PM
John Celidonio

I have been to Bequia. It is rustic, but I loved it! <BR> <BR>I would recommend flying to Barbados and then taking Air Mustique directly to Bequia. <BR> <BR>Please E-Mail me and will exchange more info. If I don't hear from you in a couple of days I will e-mail you.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Kyle

Does anyone know how long it takes in total travel time, can it be done in a day from New England? (Boston)

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 03:47 AM
BobM

Kyle, <BR>You shhould be able to fly from Boston to Puerto Rico and atch American Eagle to St. Vincent. You should be there in time to catch the 6:00 or 7:00 feryy to Bequia. The 6:00 ferry only travels Mon., Wed. and Fri. Make your travel plans accordingly. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 03:49 AM
BobM

Sorry about the spelling. I smashed my right index finger the other day and should have proof read the posting first.