Beaches T&C or Atlantis?

Nov 19th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Beaches T&C or Atlantis?

My wife and I and our 2 kids (age 7 and 4) are planning a family beach vacation. Looking at either Atlantis or Beaches Turks & Caicos in early June, 2005. Have read bunch of positive and negative reviews about both resorts. Beaches T&C seems to have a much better beach and more kid oriented programs (Sesame Street characters, Pirate Island, kids camp).
The cost for both places would be basically the same.

Any opinions or suggestions?
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Mtodd -

I don't have any children but my husband and I recently returned from Atlantis. I wanted to simply address your comment regarding the beach. While we were at Atlantis, the large beach that directly faces the ocean (no breakers) was closed the entire time as it was very rough and as I understand it, there was a large undertow as well. Atlantis has another smaller beach called Cove Beach which is sheltered so the water is much calmer.
The roughness of the water may have something to do with the time of year we went - I'm not sure. On the plus side, there are lifeguards on duty at both beaches, which as a parent you likely appreciate. The downside, if waters are rough, you are limited (if you'd like to use Atlantis beach chairs) to the smaller beach. On another note, neither Atlantis beach offered any shade other than the small canopies on the chairs themselves.
I thought the beaches were nice but nothing truly spectacular. These are some of my observations.
Nov 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM

My husband, daughter(4 year old) and I went to Atlantis in June 2004 and had a blast!! It was awsome, totally family oriented. The Discovery channel kids camp was terrific, our daughter had a blast, she wanted to go every day. She also was selected to feed the baby stingrays one afternoon (you sign up for that at the camp). The beach was terrific and huge!! The water was warm and beautiful. We had no problem with rough water or undertow while we were there. We brought some swim goggles for our daughter and she had a blast diving down and getting shells from the bottom, we should have brought some for the whole family because we ended up all sharing them because we had so much fun. The aquariums were amazing and our daughter loved going through them over and over again. In the dig there is any area where they can touch different marine animals-a big hit!! It was neat to see all of the different animals, she learned alot too, she still remembers which animals are which when she sees them in books or TV. Very educational. There are a ton of pools to choose from and slides and fun activities. There are beach chairs with covering to get out of the sun, it is true there is no real shade on the beach, so get down early and get a chair with a built in shade. I have no been to T&C so I can not compare but I can say that my daughter had a blast and we can not wait to go back again.
Nov 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Mtodd, we've been in both. I am a travel agent and sent clients to both and have good feedbacks. Both are good resorts. Beach is much better in T&C 0 no comparision. So far Provo's Grace Bay is my favoritie beach in Caribbean.
I think with such younger kids you will like T&C more, and as all-inclusive, it is more relaxing. Atlantis is huger and more spread out. You will have to get meal plan and kids activities to build in separately in Atlantis. Again, I think Atlantis is very educational however, older kids enjoy it more. Save it for future trips. Enjoy your travels!
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Grace Bay is the most spectacular beach I've ever seen. Having said that the stretch of beach at Beaches Resort on Grace Bay was the biggest disappointment of our stay at Beaches this past June. It is much more narrow and crowded than any other area on this beautiful beach.

Search this Thread