Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

On the beach w/ 16 month old - how does that work?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on treveling to Hawaii when our son is 16 months old. Can those of you who have traveled to the beach with your small children tell me how your days go? Will he be content being a beach bum all day? Or do they get bored? Any suggestions on things to make it easier would be helpful!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM

I think this probably depends a lot of your child's personality and your family's regular "schedule." At 16 mos old, my kids still napped -- sometimes twice a day. They also got up at the crack of dawn. So, we'd get up early, have breakfast, take a long walk on the beach. Then, we'd play in the sand, collect shells, etc until it was time for either nap or lunch. Back to the condo for these activities and back out to the beach later in the day. We also tried to avoid being at the beach between 11-2 due to the intensity of the sun.

You will want beach toys (bucket, shovel, etc), umbrella, hat, lots of sunscreen.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM

Agree with previous poster. Our son loves water so he was happy/great when we took him on his first trip to the Caribbean at about your child's age.
He did not get bored at all but we did bring lots of water toys for him.

Some items that we bought and loved:
1. Portable inflatable pool ring. He would sit in there for hours and be a happy camper. I can't remember the brand but we bought it at Babies R Us or Toys R Us. Here's a link with some pics of other brands so you get an idea of what I'm talking about.
http://www.qualityinflatables.com/babyfloats.html

2. Flap happy hat. The best to protect his little head. Can't remember where I bought but you can find online anywhere.
http://www.comfykid.com/Flaphappy-main.htm

A fodorite on the Caribbean board bought a small tent and would put their daughter in there so she could nap on the beach. We never did that because we never thought about it (we went back to the room for his nap). But I think that's a great idea. It's a small tent for the beach, appears to be very portable. Her screen name is Kristen1206. You can search for her on the Caribbean board and see her recent Turks & Caicos pics with the tent. I'm sure she can tell you where she found one. She's really nice.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:19 AM

pick beaches that are protected by reef barriers for calmer waters and that offer plenty of shade. good examples would be lydgate, ke'e, hanauma; bad example would be makena (big beach) although it's one of my personal favorites

at 16-mos, as long as he's not in direct sunlight for too long, he should enjoy the sand (and he'll try to eat it), water, waves, boats, etc. use the advice lisettemac gave you, and you should be fine. and make sure to keep him well hydrated.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:22 AM

I never had great luck with my little ones on the beach. (We used to go to the Outer Banks every year.)

One problem was that my eldest is a redhead and no matter how much sunscreen or even clothes he had on he would get burned very quickly (he's still like that). The other problem was one summer when he was a new walker he REFUSED to walk on the sand (what is that???). That year was rough.

I guess what I recall the most was that I never felt like I could relax on the beach - and I desperately wanted to. I resented being stuck up at the house at naptimes, I got tired of dealing with the sandy diapers and sand in the mouth, I couldn't just read my book or close my eyes...I know it sounds selfish...but it is a mom's life.

I do recall that the backpack worked well for long walks on the beach.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:23 AM

funny you mention that caribtraveler, i visited T&C when my boy was around 18-mos old and used a pop-up tent. isn't grace bay and ideal beach with an infant/toddler?

here's a photo of what i think caribtraveler is talking about:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54938563Vjahwh

i remember i got it at babies r us for around $20 about 2 yrs ago
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM

Bluefan: Cute picture! Yes! That's what I'm talking about.

wliwl: Yikes! So sorry it was rough for you. I have to admit I would have been really depressed if my son didn't like the beach since I'm such a beach girl! (hence the screen name).
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM

We carted our son off to the Caribbean with us from 9 months onward. We'd be at the beach or at the hotel pool and as long as we had an umbrella he was fine; we just kept moving him into the shade. He was happy playing with his sand/water toys. A few years on I raided the $ stores for those bags of farm animals/ soldiers etc. Inexpensive and he had a ball.

When he was 9 months old we house-sat 2 months for a friend in St.Kitts. Another friend said no problem getting baby food. That was true..sort-of... it came in once a week by ship but was very limited; one week it was beef something, the next week it was peas something. We had shipped down 360 diapers that were supposed to be "Pampers-like". We have pics of him pulling out the stuffing. They also leaked and puffed out. We gave up and spent the $$$ for the real thing. We laughed about it then (1983)and still laugh today.

On one trip on the commuter from San Juan (big planes couldn't land in St.Kitts then) he kept popping up and saying "hi" to the passenger behind who replied in a very upper British accent. Found out later it was a secretary to the Queen travelling to St.Kitts in advance of Princess Margaret.

Travelling with kids can be annoying but for us it was a lot of fun. Our son ate some weird foods and the water wasn't purified on St.Kitts then but we have a very healthy 24 year old so there was no lasting harm

We used to take turns watching him; 1/2 hour at a time while the other could read or get some shut-eye in the sun.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:04 PM

If you're planning to lounge in the sun all day, you will need some serious sun protection for your child. Realistically, your child probably cannot spend the whole day in the sun. When we went to Hawaii with a baby and toddler, we went inside from 11 to about 3 each day to avoid the strong sunlight.

We did use a pop-up tent for naps but you have to be very careful because it can get intensely hot inside it (hotter than out in the sun).

As noted above, your child may or may not like the beach. I have one who didn't like the water/waves in Hawaii as a toddler and refused to go anywhere near the ocean. He liked the pool however. Now, he's 10 and I can't get him out of the surf. Go figure.

Have you been to the beach yet with your toddler? How did he do? Every kid is different, and you won't really know how it will be until you go to the beach with him.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

We found that the toddlers each had their own reaction to the sand and that it varied from not wanting one single grain to touch them to trying to eat it and use it to stuff their diapers. And just because Ryan didn't like the sand on Monday didn't mean he didn't love it on Tuesday.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:00 PM

Had to laugh at the poster who said their kid wouldn't walk on the sand. At about 16 mos, my oldest loved the sand, but the only thing she'd do is run -- as far and as fast as she could. It was the least relaxing vacation I've ever had! I was about 7 mos pregnant and toddler would run miles along the beach with my husband in tow. She also ate sand. LOTS of it. Couldn't stop her.

Second daughter will play in the sand, but won't so much as put her toes in the water.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:13 PM

>>> Will he be content being a beach bum all day? <<<

I think limited time on the beach would be fine, but it's not good for a child to be in the sun on the beach all day. I agree with paadams regarding going inside (or elsewhere) for the hottest part of the day.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 03:12 AM

Our son was also very fair haired and skinned and we bought several long legged, long sleeved lightweight cotton playsuit type things for the beach. If they are thin and woven (versus knit) they are very cool - but not totally sun-proof if thin - so you still need some sunblock underneath.

Putting sunblock on a toddler is an adventure. Do not wait until you are on the beach, because then when they wiggle they get sand in the sticky sunblock and look like breaded fish. It is also very uncomfortable when you try to then spread it around. They are usually very ticklish and escape when you are trying to put it on at the hotel. Picture me chasing a slippery, partially lotioned-up kid who slips thru my grasp even when I catch him. It becomes a game - funny at first, but annoying after a few days.

So merely putting on sunblock and heading out is not as simple as it sounds.

Also, make sure your kid will wear a hat without ripping it off after 3 minutes. They must have some sort of head covering.

If your memories of beach trips BC (before children) was sitting on a chair reading a book, dozing off - that will not happen with a toddler. Since you are watching them every second, spending a relaxing day at the beach is it was in the past and you will likely not want to spend all day there.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:49 AM

We took our daugter to Barbados when she was 10 months old and to Maui just after her second birthday.

Whatever you do, put sunscreen on your child by the gallon - we found the best way to do that was before she was dressed for the day - slather it on while the child is still naked and just keep reapplying it all day. Ours was fine about having it put on her body, but there were days it took two of us to put it on her face (one parent to distract her and hold her still, the other one putting the sunscreen on). If your child will not wear a hat (like mine), pay extra attention to the back of the neck, the tops of the ears and the face (no matter how much they may scream). We used Blue Lizard Baby sunscreen (recommended by our dermatologist) and she came home from Maui almost as pale as she was when she got there and never burned at all.

She always loved playing in the sand (it was just an overgrown sandbox to her), but I wouldn't call her a "beach bum" - she would wander all over the beach, picking up shells and sticks, and visting other kids on the beach. Either my husband or I would have to follow her absolutely every moment. She also would not go in the water - the waves, no matter how gentle, terrified her. She loves to swim, however, and the pools were always a big hit.

At 16 months, she was still napping 2x a day. Besides, I wouldn't take a child to the beach between those naps, since that would be midday and the sun would be too strong. That said, on the trip to Maui the jetlag almost killed all of us - she was getting up at 3am for the entire trip and naps were hit or miss every day. It was a 6 hour time change for us, and she never really adjusted.

The thing that made our life easiest on Maui was renting a condo - having a kitchen was a lifesaver. Our daughter is easy to take to restaurants mid-day, but by dinnertime, especially after a long day at the beach, she's not fit for civilized company. And since she was jetlagged she was hungry at odd times and falling asleep on her feet by 5pm. It was great to be able to feed her the spaghetti and sauce she craved at 4pm, and put her to bed at 6. Then we'd throw some Ahi on the grill for ourselves after she was asleep.

That said, you know what will work best for your child. Have a great time.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Gail -- the mental picture of you putting sunscreen on your toddler is hilarious -- and so accurate!

I highly recommend the new "continuous spray" sunscreens that are on the market. Much easier!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Maybe it's been our bad luck, but two of us (adult and kid) got very bad burns using the new continuous sprays. I've gone back to the slather the lotion method
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:09 AM

DH and I had some pretty interesting sunburn patterns on our backs using the continuous spray sunscreen in Florida earlier this summer. After that experience, I insist that my kids wear the old fashioned slather on kind at the beach. The continuous spray is fine for playing outside at home for us.

I laughed at the comments about trying to get sunscreen on a toddler's face. Been there, done that, and still trying to get sunscreen on my 8 yo's face.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:14 AM

My kids have both been exposed to the beach at an early age (6 weeks or so) & both love the sand, water, etc. Last trip my son was still crawling & he didn't want his knees in the sand, so he'd do this crab walk thingy. I am hopeful he will still sleep on the beach this next trip (he is 15 months right now). Take a tent or umbrella so they have some shade to play in. Keep them hydrated. We use sunscreen liberally, but my kids both have my skin tone which helps. My wife is very fair so she really has to watch. We also try to avoid the mid-day heat & are typically out first thing in the morning, usually by 7, which is great.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 04:45 AM

We have been taking our kids on Hawaii since my daughter was 18 months and some of my favorite memories are them napping on my chest while I snooze myself either under am umbrella or shaded by trees. I would always cover them with a towel so as not to burn them and it was always so calming, listening to the waves break, the palms rustle, feeling the trade winds and smelling the flowers-heavenly and an excellent way to bond. Many times I will watch them now at ages 6 & 8 and wish they were smaller again just for those beach naps. It kind of made up for having to be so alert at all other times near the water!
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 08:00 AM

I think it depends on the child. We just did a week long beach vacation with 13 month old grandson. He has just learned the art of "Screaming" as a means of communication.

We found we had to try to keep him on his regular schedule as much as possible or else he really got out of whack and so did his disposition.

We were able to go on the beach (using sunscreen/umbrella) for a couple of hours for the first couple of days and then we would go up, feed him lunch, put him down for nap and then take him to pool for a couple of hours. After the first two or three days, he didn't care for the beach and we ended up packing our stuff back up and spending the time entirely by the pool.

We would go back up, clean up and put him down for another nap and then head out for an early dinner so we could get him in bed by his usual time.

Based on this experience, I would suggest, keeping your child on his regular schedule as much as possible, use sunscreen/umbrella/hats to minimize sun exposure, pack toys (shovels, buckets, etc), be prepared to be imaginative to keep him interested in his surroundings.

For us, we had to make sure that we adjusted our schedules to his wants/needs and not the other way around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -