Beaches Resort

Jun 9th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Mindy

Beaches Resort

We are staying at Beaches the third week in July with two 16 year old boys. Both certified scuba divers. Any suggestions for us? We have read so much negative information about Beaches, we are really apprehensive now about the trip. If you have any information, please reply.

Jun 9th, 2002, 04:37 PM
UHP

Just returned from Beaches yesterday. Do not scuba but spoke ot many people there who did, if if you are certified, you must take there 30 minute certification update. Most people rented out charters to take them, Found that the resort is bes for families with little children, I enjoyed the beach. The food was blah,no great selection at all, drinks were not good (watered down??) , employes there are not friendly or assistive and slow, But if just want nbeach , is great. I was thinkful paid a special promo price for it. Last year was at the Moon Palace in Cancun and that was 100 times better, and a better place for teens,,, and service and food was TOP NOTCH.... Enjoy, thanks

Jun 9th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Connie

I have a trip report and pictures posted from our trip to Beaches Turks and Caicos in January 2002. You will have to copy and paste the links: http://www.tropictravelonline.com/ll...cos_12002.html and http://www.tropictravelonline.com/cg...ategory=100139. Feel free to e-mail directly with questions. Have a great trip!

Jun 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Antoinette

Don't go to Beaches with a high bar of expectations. This is NOT A 5 Star LUXURY resort by any means. Bite the bullet and make the best of it. You'll have a good time as long as you are not expecting a LUXURY resort.

Jun 10th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Anon

which beaches are you staying at?

Jun 10th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Mindy

Beaches Turks and Caicos.

Jun 10th, 2002, 01:47 PM
traveler

We were at Beaches Turks Oct 2000. Loved it. Food was ok, but it's so darn hot we didn't eat much anyway. The kids will probably love the Tex Mex restaurant, ribs, tacos very good.
Diving is great and the water sports team are wonderful. No, not a 5 star but great fun!

Jun 10th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Denise

Hi Mindy,
We are also going to Turks and Caicos the third week in July, July 21-28, to be exact!
However, we are not staying at Beaches, we are staying at the Allegro.
I have heard mixed reviews about both places, so I am going to go with the flow!!!!
To be honest, I wouldn't care if I slept in a tent and ate dog food for the week, as long as the beaches are as beautiful as they look in the pictures and the weather agrees!
It would be nice if the resort was fabulous, but I am going to have a great time regardless....I can't wait to sit my butt on the beach with no worries!!!
Maybe we can meet on the beach!! E-mail me if you would like. [email protected]
Denise

Jun 10th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Mindy

I spoke with the travel agent I booked our trip through today (I used the Internet) regarding the negative reports. She told me that this is much nicer than Beaches Negril -- where we were last year. We were very happy with Negril. She seems to think that some people aren't happy wherever they go, and only those with negative reports seem to want to talk all about them. I'm more hopeful that all will be well. Most importantly, we want the 16 year olds to have fun. When they are happy...so are we!

Jun 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
a Travel Professional

I do not think Beaches T/C is nicer than Negril. The beach is nicer and the new French Village rooms are nicer than the rooms in the Older Portion.
The kid's area is great. I thought the food was better than any of the Sandals I have stayed at.
There is a sewage smell at T/C due to the treatment plant next door.
The beach is one of the most spectacular I have ever seen.
I rate this about a 4-4.5 on a 6 Point rating.

Jun 16th, 2002, 06:40 PM
tim

We returned today and I think you will have a wonderfull time. If you are going to dive you must sign up for the dive the day before. Be there at 7:30 or 7: 45 AM inorder to get on the next days dive or you will be put on a waiting list. The 8:00 dive is a 2 tank dive and there is a 10:00 one tank dive. Both return about 12:00. The diving is GREAT. I read all these post before I went and I thought the place was great.

Jun 16th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Stephanie

Denise, the beaches ARE as beautiful as they look in the pictures. I felt the same way as you. I could just walk the beach for miles all day and do nothing else and be perfectly happy. I highly recommend getting up early and walking the beach for an hour by yourself. Nothing more therapeutic. I'm so envious!!

Jun 17th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Karen

Mindy, my husband and I went to Beaches in the TCI last may. We have no children and we still stayed there and had a wonderful time. What a lot of people are saying is true in one sense. Don't expect 5 star restaurants and accomadations and you probably won't be disappointed.

We thought the property was beautiful and very clean. Lots and Lots of flowers and trees and plants everywhere.

Make reservations in the Japanese Rest and Spadillas(sp?)when you get there because they can get filled up fast during busy times. We thought the food was very good overall.

The Sega game rooms seem to attract the kids like flys and there are Chess sets and pool tables set up at several places through out the property. The entertainment staff organizes the kids/teens into groups and they put together a "talent" type show which is performed on the main stage towards the end of the week.

The French Village has newer rooms but no balconies (it also has the nicest and largest pool, although the other pools are fine). We booked a deluxe oceanview room and were upgraded to a suite which was nice. We were on the ground floor of a two floor cluster of rooms. We had two patios. There are lots of pools and hot tubs. Lots of opportunites to go out on snorkling trips (even if you don't snorkling you can go along for the ride and a swim). If your in a suite like we are they have exclusive cruises for you (has less people on them). The beach was very nice although some days the grounds guys spent a lot of time sweeping up and burying seaweed. Also the whole time we were there, we did not smell nor see the sewage treatment plant that so many posters refer to.

Sorry this is so long but with all the negatives posted here, I just wanted to let you here about our positive experince. I think you will have a great time if you don't expect the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons. Have fun.

Jun 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Mindy

Finally, a positive response about Beaches! We have been so afraid that this would not be a good experience based on all of the negative postings. We are now looking forward to the trip!

Jul 7th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Teresa

Mindy,
Here's another 'pro Beaches' posting for you We stayed at Beaches Negril in November 2000 and my kids are STILL talking about that trip. We travel quite a bit and (I admit)I'm a motel snob--I honestly can't find any negatives to Beaches Negril. I think the key is to roll with the flow and just enjoy. It isn't the Ritz but it isn't a Holiday Inn, either. We stayed in one of the concierge suites--that was money well spent.
The food at Beaches isn't 5 star but that's not why we went to Jamaica--the beach is the star of the show and wow, was it perfect. Regarding food--we were there over Thanksgiving and enjoyed a 'Thanksgiving feast' that evening. Turkey, stuffing, along with lobster, shrimp, crab, etc. etc. etc. I'll never forget the look on our 8 year old's face when she saw the roasted pig complete with little foil sunglasses and an apple in its mouth--ugh! We would go back to Beaches in a red-hot minute--have a fun fun trip.

Aug 8th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Shawn

This message is for Denise (Denise&Ronnie) or anyone else who has been to Allegro recently!

Saw your note above and was curious as to your experience at the Allegro. My husband and I are going in January '03 to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We're bringing our two daughters and parents, some friends will also join (we hope). Anyway, since I've heard such mixed reviews, was wondering what your experience ended up being. You sound very open minded and weren't worried about expectations overall, but it's good to get an idea.

Many thanks if you choose to reply.

Shawn

Aug 8th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Kelly

Went to Beaches T/C last year not knowing what to expect for myself-I went as a single 28yr old with my married couple friends and their 8yr old son.Never stayed less than a Hyatt caliber resort, so I kinda know what to look for by now.Actually began to doubt my plans for a good week,as I definately heard just as much negative as i did positve.Have to say, I had a great week! Beach and water better than any of the other 7 islands I've been to! Food wasn't spectacular,but I didn't feel like I was being starved to death, either. All inclusives are all about the fact that you can eat like a pig and drink like a fish and not worry about money once you're there. Do yourselves a favor- make friends with the bartenders and you'll never have to drink the same drink twice. True, the staff wasn't always super speedy, but then again,these people truly live on island time. I've actually been treated worse in the USA than I did here.
I'd go back in a heartbeat!
You're on your way to a relaxing week on beautiful grounds,so don't let every silly thing that may happen bother you! After all, if you want to be annoyed all week , just stay at work! HAve a great time, and make sure you snorkel over at the White House

Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:44 PM
Bob

My family was at Beaches T/C 7/25-8/3. To all of the naysayer's about bad service, bad food, and babystrollers: You must have been at some other resort. In reverse order: While the resort is a family resort, its certainly not baby stroller parking. More teens than anything else. Occupancy was about 87% the week I was there (I saw the nightly report), so it was pretty typical. The food was simply excellent (see exception), and living in San Francisco, I think I'm a pretty harsh food critic. Sopadillo's is definitely worth it, so make reservations as soon as you arrive. Unless you don't get out to Japanese much, skip Kyoto's and the sushi bar. Service: everyone, simply everyone was friendly, gracious and helpful. But you have to remember the island motto: No hurries, no worries. If you are a pushy, must-have-it-done-now type of person, then you will be frustrated with the slower, more relaxed pace people at the resort work it. Myself, I'm very type A, but hey on vacation, relax, just go with it. Nothing's going anywhere, there's always another umbrella, there's always another drink. The bars: the bartenders are a bit spotty on knowing how to make the drinks, but then so what. Don't like the one you just got? Ask for something else. I would definitely go back. Probably the best vacation I've ever had.