Beaches Negril.. advice needed!

Mar 29th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Beaches Negril.. advice needed!

After doing much research, we booked a trip to Beaches Negril for our 3 kids (ages 10, 11 and 13) for August. Since booking the trip, the resort has gotten a ton of negative reviews on TripAdvisor. I'm getting really nervous. We are going to spend thousands of dollars to take our kids to Beaches. Is it really that bad?

My husband and I have been to Jamaica several times and know what to expect from the island and from the people and that is why we decided to take our kids there. It's our favorite place to vacation. We are not overly picky people and do not expect it to be the Ritz. We aren't expecting gourmet, 5 star food or luxurious rooms. We were looking for a place with a lot of fun activities for our kids. We thought our kids would enjoy the water park and the huge beach and all the water sports.

Anyone who has been to Beaches recently.. should we change to another resort??

Thanks for your help
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM

I've not been to Beaches but I've been to TripAdvisor and my experience is that it is rant and rave site. Between me and my folks, we've been to several all-inclusives that got bad reviews on TripAdvisor and we had no problems. Just remember - it's human nature to tell horror stories. People who have good experiences tell 3 people - folks who have bad experiences tell 30.

What some folks expect for a rock-bottom all-inclusive price these days floors me. If you know and like Jamaica - go and don't worry.
Mar 29th, 2005, 11:37 AM

We were there 5 years ago for our daughters wedding and thought the resort did a wonderful time of taking care of kids that were on vacation. I wouldn't worry about it -

Sun + beaches = fun for kids!
Mar 29th, 2005, 01:12 PM

We were there in May with our 2 older kids (17 & 23). There was quite a bit for kids in the ages of yours more than teens & above. The kids camp looked fun & the watersports was my favorite. They hadn't finished the waterpark when we were there but our room was in the Savannah building & we could see them working on it from our balconey. I have heard positive things about that part of it. The entertainment at night is family oriented. There is a game show where kids & parents can compete. There is also a kids fashion show & dance contest that was fun to watch. My kids were too old to join in.

You sound realistic so Beaches should be fine for you. Just don't expect ultra cusine because for the most part I found it (the Mill restaurant buffet) to be a tropical Shoney's type affair. Good & filling but nothing to rave about. The "made to order area" in the Mill was the best in my opinion. We ate at the Seville (over 16 only) & weren't really impressed. The decor & service was great but the food was ok. The Japanese restaurant was good but not as good as the Osaka we have at home. Still it was fun for the kids & good enough.

Try going to www.tropictravelonline.com & see their Beaches reviews. They are more accurate there. I also have some pictures from our trip to Beaches & Negril posted there. Go to http://www.tropictravelonline.com/cg...ategory=100203
& our pictures are titled Benj May 2004. There are other poster's photos there that might be more recent.

If you need a great guide of the area contact Soloman Kerr at Talk of the Town Tours. He was excellent & great with kids. Also don't forget to go to 3 Dives for the lobster dinner.
Mar 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Just returned on Easter Sunday. Our kids are 11 and 6. The kids had a great time. The water park is great for them. The water slide and lazy river was a huge hit. Even for us, the lazy river was fun. My 10 year old didn't go to the KidsClubs( 8 - 12). He found some pals and just hung out with them. The facilities, in my opinion are small enough so you really don't have to worry about them. The staff was great. The beach is one of the best, especially sunsets. The availability of lounge chairs and towels was never an issue. The room weren't the greatest, but then again, your not them that long. The food wasn't five star but I wasn't there to eat. But it wasn't bad in my opinion. Make reservations for Teppanaki(sp). A good Habachi and kind of entertaining. The Seville (Adults only) was so so. The buffet was the usual. Plenty of watersports. Beach parties twice a week, one in the afternoon and one at night with entertainment. The nightlife isn't the greatest for adults. Word of caution. Do not get any rooms in the 900. A couple's only hotel "Swept Away" is right next door. From 9 to 11 your room will vibrate from the live band. Your kids will most likley hook up with other their age and you'll never see them. they'll be either in the pool, lazy river, waterslide, or Xbox room. Beaches is strictly "kid orientated" Do not expect 5 star quality rooms or food. If you want a crystal clear beach and just want to relax while the kids are gone, then fine. I've been to Beaches at the old Boscobel Beach, and Turks last year. Turks was nicer as long as you stayed on the French Quarter. Nicer pool but further from the beach. Here, the beach is closer. Its unfortunate that these places cost big bucks and people expect 5 star treatment. But the bottom line is, thats the going rate. I would go back. Ask for Richard on the jet ski. talk to Kevin at the hobie cats. Oh i forgot. No bananas. They all got wiped out during the hurricain. Just try and kick back,get a massage, have a pina colada or a couple of Red Stripes and enjoy the beach and the sun. Good luck
Mar 30th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. Andre1, you have definitely made me feel better. Sounds like you had a nice time. Like I said before, we are pretty easy going and really want this to be fun trip for the kids. If they are having a blast, my husband and I will be able to relax and have fun too, even if everything isn't perfect. We are booked in a honeymoon suite (sounds weird for a family but they tell us that the 5 of us will fit in there). We will definitely ask to be away from Swept Away. Thank you again everyone.
Sep 28th, 2005, 01:37 AM

Thank you all for the information on this topic. My husband and I are taking 3 of our 4 children in November of 2006 (ages at time of the trip will be 2,6,10,10)

Should we reconsider taking our toddler? Are there plenty of activites for the toddler? How is child care for the toddlers? With the children having the ability to run around free, was anyone concerned about security and the children leaving the property?

Search this Thread