Search

Bareboat Chartering

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 04:58 PM
Lisa

Bareboat Chartering

I'm thinking about bare boat charting a sailboat or power boat in the Virgin Islands over Christmas. I have 3 teenagers. Does anyone have any recommendations on companies? I thought this would be a good way to see all the islands. And from what I understand they are all fairly close to each other. Are there any charters out of San Juan? What islands would you recommend? Thanks. I figure this will be a good way to actually spend some time with my kids on a carribean vacation. If we stay on an island they are off meeting mates somewhere and I never get to see them.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:55 AM
Eva

Lisa, I am a HUGE fan of bareboat chartering - in fact, I'm leaving for a bareboat sail in 2 days... If its your first time, the British Virgin Islands are an ideal place, with relatively easy line-of-sight navigation, protected waters, and lots of diversions for sailors (both natural and man-made). <BR> <BR>There are at least a dozen reputable charter companies from which to choose -- I highly recommend both Moorings, and its lower-priced affiliate Footloose(immaculately maintained boats retired from the Moorings fleet). Those are sailing charter companies; I think that there are fewer motor yacht charter companies, some of which are based in St. Thomas (a 45 minute ferry ride away from Tortola in the BVI). <BR> <BR>The last time I checked, there are no longer any charter companies based out of Puerto Rico (there had been one in Fajardo, which was a base to explore the Spanish Virgins, but they consolidated their operations with those in the BVI). <BR> <BR>There is a pretty active bulletin board at www.traveltalkonline.com -- click on the British Virgin Islands section to get info about charters in general and the BVI in particular. Also, if you are interesed, visit my personal website, which has reports of my various charter trips with photos. The address is www.homestead.com/islandtime/MainPage1.html. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:54 AM
Jenny

Won't you get sunburnned pretty bad going bare sailing?

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Lisa

Yeah, but what a way to go!

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 04:15 PM
Lisa

Thank you Eva. I will check them out.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:24 AM
Kara

Hi, <BR>I have chartered boats twice in the V.I. One time I took 11 family members on a 48 ft. power boat and another time my family of 5 on a 42 ft. boat. We chartered out of V.I.P. charters on ST. Thomas. There are tons of great itineraries for a 7 day charter that the company will recommend. The route pretty much everyone takes is ST.Thomas to ST John, Jost Van Dyke, Tortola, Virgin Gorda and back. I saw tons of sailboats from Moorings while I have done these trips although I can not recommend them personally. I thought VIP charters was great though (for power boats). Kara