BARBUDA????

Nov 28th, 2001, 06:43 AM
nicole

BARBUDA????

Anyone ever heardof or been to Barbuda, and if so which of the 3 hotels have you been too?

Nov 28th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Sally

Sorry to wound so stupid but where is it?

Nov 28th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Nicole

Off of Antiqua, suppossed to be beautiful,very remote and little info on it.

Nov 28th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Beth

Nicole:

There are 2 hotels that I know of: K Club and Coco Point. Unless you are a member of the royal family, I don't think you will find too many people who have stayed at either. Very expensive and exclusive.

Nov 28th, 2001, 01:27 PM
tivertonhouse

BARBUDA has spectacular beaches and quirky, quite pricey accomodations. If you're comfortable on St.Barts and Versace-type Euros, K-Club. If you're more of a George Bush country club playing good old fisherman type Wasp,
Coco Point. Both have attitude.

Nov 28th, 2001, 02:33 PM
DENISE

Hi,

we had visited Barbuda in January during a day trip from Antigua. Here are our comments: The island beaches are georgeous! The island is very tiny we got there on a little cessna 4 passenger the airport is a shack with small runway It is like 3 world island. When we did land we felt very unsafe alot of locals looking around waiting for tourists and supplies from Antigua our guide told us to stay close to him which we did. Upon leaving our plane was late by an hr. and we were left to sit in this little makeshift shack waiting. While waiting alot of locals were whistling makin rude sexual advances towards me and hubby and i felt unsafe while there was no security

Nov 28th, 2001, 03:42 PM
tivertonhouse

Denise/not that it will make you feel any better, but Barbuda in the past has been famed for two things:1)the most incredible beach sand in the islands,which has been imported to places like St. Martin and other islands and 2) strong, physically-perfect men who were also imported to other island in old plantation days. A few catcalls are only appreciation,na true? There are a few guesthouses around ,but outside the resorts,few 'creature comforts' ,which one will pay dearly for at resorts. It IS however one of the least-visited, best ESCAPE islands left.

Nov 29th, 2001, 06:10 AM
nicole

THANKS
The resort We were interested in is the "cheapest" called Palmetto Hotel. Looks amazing in the website but noone's heard of it so that makes me feel a bit uneasy. Anyway thanks for the info

Dec 7th, 2001, 02:50 PM
denise

Yes I do agree with you Barbuda is very beautiful quite and serene the beaches are stuning our favorite is Palm Beach.. However I could not ignore the fact that there was a rape on the island the police force is like 5 officers. They werent just cat calls there were derogatory remarks made in front of my husband which is very rude. Our own tour guide advised us on not straying to far. As far as the island it is very primitive and run down except the beaches the beaches are 5 star..Would I return again no but glad i visited..I opt for Grand Cayman it is clean and very safe but to each his own..just my opinion

thanks

denise

Jan 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
angie

Hi Nicole.
My husband and i visited palmetto for 3 nights and then went to Antigua for 5 nights.After spending only a short time at the palmetto we missed it dreadfully so we only stayed 1 night in Antigua and took the first flight back to Barbuda the next day at 7am.The staff(all italian and barbudans)treated us like long lost friends and soon there was a rumour around the resort of a couple who only stayed 1 night in antigua and had to get back to barbuda asap,we became famous.
The resort is very laid back,walk around barefoot for meals at the excellent restaurant, italian chef, pasta at lunch and dinner the italian way as an appetizer.if you need more help please feel free to e-mail.
The island has no nightlife,but is at one with nature,the longest beach over 15miles right outside your room,no tv,peace and quiet.
when you arrive at palmetto,you forward your watch by 1 hour,this is a great idea because the sun goes down early and you have longer day hours.
they have a great diving/snorkelling trip and visits to the fregate bird sanctuary,you can also request to be dropped at a deserted part on the island and picked up later.(all the island is deserted by the way,
Regards,
Angie

Jan 19th, 2002, 06:47 AM
fran

We are thinking of going to Palmetto Beach Resort,Barbuda, to celebrate our tenth anniversary in May; however, a little concerned by the poster who said she felt frightened by and threatened by the "locals". Has anyone else felt this way? I'm just wondering if maybe she isn't used to the islands. Or are the locals really unfriendly to tourists?

Dec 4th, 2003, 08:33 AM

Has anyone been to Barbuda? We've been to St. John, USVI, Bermuda, Harbour Island (least favorite) & the Big Island. St. John, USVI (favorite). We are looking for a very low key island with great accommodations, gorgeous beaches like St. John.
I haven't heard much about this island, but from the little I've read it sounds what we are looking for. Quiet, gorgeous beaches - relaxation.

Please any advice out there. K-Club, we are not interested in...A little too pricey and sounds to "clickish"....

Thanks

Dec 5th, 2003, 07:21 AM

I know you are interested in Barbuda but what about visiting Turks and Caicos or Anguilla then? Anguilla has amazing beaches.
Dec 8th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Any suggestions about the places you mentioned...Have you been to Barbuda. Barbuda just sounds very small, intimate with beautiful beaches. We are not looking for a huge resort with children and crowds.....more low key....

am open to all suggestions....
Dec 8th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Outside the 3 resorts on Barbuda, of which Palmetto's the most easy-going,
check out as well Los Roques for an equally less-travelled destination;many small pousadas on different islets, boats for islets yours for the day.
Dec 9th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Los Roques looks lovely....I think it may be to far from DC area......

Thanks, but I will keep the link to it.
Dec 10th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Robrook

I don't think Palmetto is open. Tried emailing and no response.