Search

Barbados Revery

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados Revery

Someone suggested I share my recent trip report to Barbados as a separate topic, I tucked my remarks among the many others in Is Barbados As Beautiful As It Seems. So, please pardon the redundancy, but in case it was overlooked...here I go again.
We had no problems at the airport, with the exception of two bags which had been left behind by naughty American Airlines due to excess weight on the plane. They were delivered on the next flight and reached our hotel by midnight, so we were relieved to have swimsuits. My husband is a XXL and it isn't easy to just go shopping and find shirts with 37" arms. The drive to our hotel was short and pleasant. The island captivated me immediately with fields lush with sugar cane and cotton,and flowering trees. We whizzed by banks of coral and fields plowed with rich black soil.
We were greeted pleasantly at our hotel, the Fairmont Royal Pavilion,but rain came pouring down. We waded down the arched walkways through four inches of water; the manager had the presence of mind to take off her shoes. Our shoes were wet, but our spirits weren't dampened. Shortly there came a light knock on our door, and Voila! a chocolate birthday cake with strawberries on top and complimentary drinks. Not a bad start.
The beach was long and lovely. We rented a jet ski and took a wonderful ride right in the Caribbean. Our daughter and son-in-law joined us on this trip. They went deep sea fishing and snorkeled. I read The Mermaid Chair on the beach. The water was so clear and blue and the sea was full of gifts...beautiful, beautiful sea glass and an abundance of it. We found all shades of green, brown, some black, pieces as clear as raindrops, and prized nuggets of aquamarine. It was a veritable treasure chest.
I found the Bajan people absolutely charming...even the so called "hawkers" on the beach. We bought shell necklaces from a sweet man named John, litte men made of wire sculpted by Darcy Best. a sarong. I had a back massage right on the beach by a young gentleman named Trevor who had a devine touch. There was also Dr. Cool who would do a foot massage using fresh aloe. We did not find them aggressive at all...really enjoyed meeting them. There was one little man who walked the beach every day talking to himself and gesturing to the sky. He'd walk out onto a little peninsula and looked all the world like a preacher addressing his congregation. One day he was yelling, "All you honkeys go home," but he was ill. I offered him a bottle of water on our last day, and he called me a "dirty rat" and spat in the sand. The kids thought it was funny, but I didn't take it personally, and I know I did the right thing to offer.
The FRP is nice, very nice, but not quite as nice as you may find it on a virtual tour. The staff is willing, but their timing was off. I thought the Palm Terrace restaurant was lovely and so were the reception areas, but I was a little disappointed with our room. The bed was comfortable with nice linens and lots of pillows, but our room could've used some updating. The terrace was particulary disappointing...too many cement walls and not enough attention to landscaping. The food, on the other hand, was fabulous in both restaurants. The Taboras Cafe should stay open later in the evenings for people who prefer a more casual dinner, but the food is just simply wonderful. We also took taxi's to Holetown to eat at Olive's which was charming and yummy. We had a spectacular dinner at The Cliff. It's a dream come true. Also had another great meal at Calabaza which has a Morrocan motif..very lovely. I musn't leave out Ju Ju's which is a tiny, little local place right down the beach from the Fairmont. They make a spicey tuna fish sandwich and great burgers.
I didn't fall in love immediately with Banks beer like I did Red Stripe in Jamaica, but it grew on me. Dave, a tall "beach butler" would bring them cold in a silver bucket of ice. I had some stereotypical notions about the British who frequent this hotel being a little too proper. I am happy to say, I was dead wrong. Fellow guests were very friendly One I shall never forget. He had snow white hair, and looked so smart in a turquoise shirt, white slacks, and soft white loafers. He tipped his glass to me at dinner with a warm smile and said, "Cheers!" I noticed something was a little off about one of his eyes. Then I saw he had to hold the menu just inches from his eyes to order. I later saw him having THE most fun on the dance floor, doing what most of us are far to inhibited to do. He "danced like nobody's watching."
I guess I could have said all of this quite simply: I loved Barbados, the island and the beautiful Bajan people. Yes, indeed.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM
ellabella

What a great report! I stayed at the FRP 4 nights last summer and loved it too. Another great inexpensive lunch spot is Cocomos. In addition to the Cliff, the Tides and The Mews were excellent for dinner. The Indian place in Holetown was my least favorite. If one wanted to drive across the island to the The Crane, Zen was amazing.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post your report here separately. I had forgotten about the wonderful sea glass we collected on the west coast of Barbados until your report reminded me of it.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

to ejcrow: I have a picture torn from a magazine of what we in the South call a screen door. What pleasant childhood memories of the door's sound as we ran in and out. In the photo, a creative person had added wire so light it looked like a filament.Somehow, she{I just know it was a woman} had added pieces of seaglass randomly and the affect was just a work of art.I wondered how many years she had searched the shorelines for that beautiful glass. Now I know, she must've just gone to Barbados. {sigh & smile}
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Thank you so much for sharing.
"He danced like nobody's watching." LOVE
THAT.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Thank you VERY much for sharing. Olives and the Cliff are on our list. Now I'm really excited to go. Only three more months! Hope our trip is as good.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

What hotel have you chosen? Don't fret one moment. I went rather reluctantly, hoping to return to my beloved HalfMoon in Jamaica, but I was seduced, body and soul, by Barbados in a day or two. I hope your trip is a all you anticipate. Think of me when you find a piece of blue sea glass.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:24 AM

We are staying at the Hilton. I really wanted to stay on the west side, but think this will be a better choice for my husband. I've been hearing some good things in the last couple of days about the friendly people and good climate and am anticipating some good leisure time. I may even bring a container to collect my own blue sea glass of my Barbados memories!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Dear Knowing, I've read some very nice reviews of the Hilton . Hey, a plastic bag will hold your sea glass collection nicely, but you won't believe how much you'll find. Have a wonderful trip.