Barbados or st Martin that's the dilemma

Old Jul 28th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbados or st Martin that's the dilemma

Need help!!!!!!!
I've gotten great advice from fodors travel experts before and now here I am again.....
The wife and I are torn between st Martin or barbados.....we can't decide.
We're in our late 30's and want to go for 10 days to a beautiful destination that we can relax and explore and eat great food. We love nice beaches, scenery and nightlife.
We've been to mexico(AI), DR(AI), st. Thomas(rental) loved st Thomas because of the available island hopping and nightlife with beautiful beaches etc,.
What I'm thinking is that we'd get bored on Barbados if going for 10 days(looking at renting in st Lawrence gap, will also be renting a car)
If st Maarten then we'd be looking at renting in maho/mullet(as you can see we want to be able to walk to restaurants if we choose) and a car rental.
Anyone who has been to both and can comment about your likes and dislikes would be greatly appreciated.
I understand that both will have great beaches and food and nightlife but I'd like to know your preferences.
Thank you and looking forward to another snow record breaking winter in Boston this year....NOT!!!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 07:56 AM

While I can't compare as I have never been to Barbados, I do want to mention that because St. Martin is close to Anguilla and St. Bart's, you can easily do day trips (or overnight) and add to your experience. You could also split your time staying on French and Dutch sides. While it's very easy to get around and go back and forth, I think staying in Grand Case or Orient Beach is a different experience than just going to a restaurant or spending a few hours there. Just a couple of thoughts...have fun planning!
Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 08:00 AM

I have been to both for one week each island. It is a tough call--here are my thoughts. I have to agree with genio67 being in St. martin you have the luxury of visiting and spending the night in St. Bart's or Anguilla. I like this idea since you are staying for 10 days.

We stayed at Divi Resorts in St. Martin the Dutch side. It was near Phillipsburg. The food was good that being said for some reason we could not find a great restaurant in Barbados. All of our meals were mediocre at best. We stayed at Bouganvillea resorts in Barbados. the beach there was very rough difficult to get into the water. It did feel very safe in Barbados and the people were very friendly we took some tours. The atmosphere in St. Martin was not as friendly to me, in some places or warm. Barbados driving is all on the left hand side complete opposite from the U.S. Something to consider---we opted out for the car rental due to that fact. St.Lawrence Gap was not a big deal to me at all. Very much a let down but some half way decent restaurants but very $$$. In my honest option I would opt for St. Martin. I think you will get bored easily in Barbados. Mostly Canadians and they love it there. They just love it. I didn't dislike it, loved Bridgetown. If I had to choose to go to either I think it would be St. Martin. But the only place I repeat over and over is Aruba. It is my complete destination of choice. (that's just me.)
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 12:36 AM

Hello
We haven't been to Barbados but spent one week on St Martin french side).
We loved it - we did a lot of walking, the food was great and the people very nice (don't know their level of English since we only spoke French).
We didn't like Phillipsburg at all.
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM

Did you already go? We have been to St. Maarten twice on the French side, Orient Beach, and absolutely loved it. Easy to get around by car to explore different beaches and to visit the Dutch end for night life experience then go home back to our sanctuary on the beach (well a walk across a very narrow dirt road and few parked cars), but we could see the beach from our room. Awesome.
Food is great in Grand Case, and very easy to drive to as well.
Phillipsburg was a nice few hours trip and one time for dinner. Shopping area was fun. We were there end of May/early June and we were the only ones in the restaurant, which was OK with us.
Great beach on Orient Bay where we stayed. Cruise ships only came one day/week but still didn't feel like it was too crowded. You get your own beach chairs put out for you and a drink guy coming around. No wondering peddlars bugging you (saw one friendly guy on cruise day but they seemed to like him).
Rent jet skis or other non motor activities. Have the jet ski guy take you over to the island off the coast for a private beach experience. Was OK, had him pick us back up in an hour or so.
Took ferry to Anguilla, BEAUTIFUL beach and only 30 minute ferry if that. Calm seas. One recently married couple and us only for most the time there.
Didn't do the St. Barts high speed, heard it's rougher. And may be an hour?
Interested in learning more about Barbados and Antigua, but never been to either. St. Maarten rocks!