Barbados or St Lucia? Which is better?

Mar 17th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Barbados or St Lucia? Which is better?

If you've been to both, I'd love to hear which one you prefer. If you've been to either, I'd love to hear your likes/dislikes. Any info that might help us decide between these two islands would be great. Also, I'd appreciate any advice on where to stay or any must-see attractions....nothing too pricey please. My husband and I are on a moderate budget, approx $5000 for both of us including flights.

Thanks for your feedback
Mar 18th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Been to both

www.jademountain.com

www.jallousieplantation.com

St. Lucia prettiest with the famous Pitons

Barbados nice Brit themed island nice not quite as pretty

Lots of Brits more of an expat outpost to me

Generally more expensive and harder to get to but nice.

www.luxurylink.com www.bookit.com good packages.

Happy Hunting,
Mar 18th, 2011, 06:50 AM

I have also been to both islands (twice). I agree with qwovadis. In terms of "better", that is a very personal judgement. St. Lucia is more dramatic, offers a rich Caribbean experience and has a variety of types of resortss/hotels. It is hard to get around though. Barbados is more bland in my opinion but is more user-friendly. The beaches are more the traditional white sand/turquoise water. For your budget, the southern coast would probably be the best bet, as there are many hotels and restaurants.

St. Lucia of course has the "must-see" Pitons. I don't know what time of year you plan to go but I have stayed at Ladera, Jalousie Plantation, Rex St. Lucian (all-inclusive) and Cap Maison.

For Barbados, I have stayed at Southern Palms which is not fancy but great location and beach. I also stayed at the Hilton and Almond Beach Club (all-inclusive)
Mar 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM

I've been to both, but prefer Barbados.

We went to St. Lucia in July and it rained for the most part the entire week we were there. We stayed at Ladera right by the Pitons which was very nice. Brown sand beaches in St. Lucia. Roads very bad.

Barbados has more traffic, but much better roads. Wide variety of hotels, and fantastic restaurants. White sand beaches with turquoise water. Much better experience here. We enjoy the British influence as well.
Mar 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM

St Lucia is better for the scenery, with the Pitons and lush vegetation and some lovely dark sand beaches eg at Anse Chastenet or beige sand with good snorkeling at Anse Cochon. Scuba is not bad either. Barbados is more refined and well off, a great island for a first time visitor to the Caribbean. West coast is best for beaches and swimming, Almond Beach club area is good (although Almond Beach club doesnt have its own beach to speak of, its right next to Sandy Lane which has a gorgeous beach). Scuba and snorkeling is not that great, the east coast is wild and windy, south coast is not great for swimming but good for nightlife. I like both islands, it just depends on what you're looking for.
Mar 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM

A Caribbean vacation against the back drop of lush natural scenery would be more St. Lucia. For picturesque beaches ( both) for more traditional crystal blue waters ( Barbados.) Both offer wonderful excursions - like the Pitons in St. Lucia ( which I think are a must see) and the Harrisons Cave in Barbados. I would also recommend sunset cruises off the coast of each (simply breathtaking and fun). Oh and the Jolly Roger has recently sailed back to Barbados, I think that's one of the cruise boast to try.

For budget friendly but comfortable and clean accommodation in St. Lucia, I found excellent value for money at the Bay Garden Inn, a pleasantly surprising property the only thing about this property that resembled an Inn was the friendly atmosphere.

In Barbados for similar accommodation ( clean affordable and conveniently located) I would recommend a property on the South coast. Maybe Blue Dolphin Inn located in Dover close to St. Lawrence Gap. The style of these rooms are island cabin but cosy. Or maybe try for a hotel like Bougainvillea, to see if the have any specials going, when they do its more than worth it.

I hope you come to a decision you love
Mar 20th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!

I realise that "better" is a relative term. Thanks for working with such a broad question.

Honestly, I'm not sure what I'm looking for out of this trip besides warm weather. I read reviews any every place has its benefits so it's hard to decide. Hearing about what you all love has helped me figure out what I might love too.
Mar 20th, 2011, 09:01 PM

When are you going?

Have you considered Aruba?
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:47 AM

I've also been to both..St. Lucia once..Barbados 3 times. Each Caribbean island has it's own flavor and some just can't be compared to others....it really comes down to what your preference is and what you want out of your vacation.

We found St. Lucia to be a very adventurous type vacation (mountains, rainforest, volcano, waterfalls...it's very lush and tropical..there are some very poor areas, but the south coast down by Jalousie Planation and Pitons is stunningly beautiful. The water there reminded me of The Mediterranean.

Barbados beaches, as mentioned above, are typical turquoise water/white sand. The west coast of Barbados has calm water, where the south coast of the island is rough (great if you like boogey boarding, but not so great if you like the ocean but are not a strong swimmer)..Barbados has alot of great attractions too(Jeep Safari's, wildlife preserve, restaurants, nightlife in St. Lawrence Gap, shopping in Bridgetown. However, the traffic in Barbados is starting to be a turnoff....very congested.

We did Sandals in St. Lucia so pretty much stuck to one of the three Sandals for dining/nightlife. We don't normally do all-inclusives, but wanted to "try something different for a change". I still prefer Turks and Caicos, personally. I like the laid back feel of the island...easy to drive around...great restaurants and the MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACHES in all the Caribbean!!!

Everyone's take is different and it really comes down to personal preference....I really don't think you will be disappointed no matter where you end up going. Vacation is what you make of it!! ENJOY!!!!
Apr 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM

we are planning a trip but not sure which to island to choose, St.Lucia or Barbados. This would be out first trip, would love to hear your insight on which you suggest.

Search this Thread