Search

Bahamas or jamaica?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 1997, 06:56 AM
Melissa Morales

Bahamas or jamaica?

Trying to narrow down my choices for a June 1998 Honeymoon. I only want to stay in Jamaica if it is all-inclusive and the resort offers guided tours--afraid to venture into the city on my own due to horror stories I have heard recently. I am also looking at Radisson Cable Beach all-inclusive plan. Any ideas on where, the weather, sites, appropriate places for a romantic/fun honeymoon, etc..?
Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 11th, 1997, 10:30 AM
Lee

Melissa: You've asked a loaded question and will receive many replies, I would think, but here goes mine: I lived in Jamaica when I was younger. I wouldn't honeymoon there. Your honeymoon is much too special and I wouldn't take the chance of an event that could subtract from it. My wife and I have been to Nassau last December and although the Radisson on Cable Beach seems like a nice place, we will go to Nassau only as a short "getaway" (3 nights). Other ideas: If money is no object, try Bermuda (mucho $$$). Otherwise, I would suggest Eleuthera in the Bahamas or Provo in the Turks and Caicos for quiet and beauty. Both are romantic, but not "busy". If you are looking for a nice island with more to do, try Aruba. June is "off" season and cheaper. Barbados is supposed to be great, but I have not been there (on my list, though). These are my favorites in the Caribbean. Lastly, I don't like all-inclusive, personally. It doesn't allow you to get out and explore the culture and be creative. It's too confining as I don't like being told what, when and where to eat. It's my money, I'll go where I want. The weather in June will be great wherever you choose (not hurricane season and all are warm) Good luck and congratulations!

Old Dec 15th, 1997, 11:33 AM
Jean E. Bowers

I agree with the person who suggested against an all-inclusive. There are many wonderful places to visit in the Caribbean and Mexico. If you want a quiet get away why not look into St. Barths or Nevis. If you want more action you could try St. Croix and take a day trip to neighboring St. Thomas. I think that Bermuda would be super. The Bermuda office of tourism will send you a package with lots and lots of information. If you tell them your budget they will even make lodging suggestions. Fodors has a good restaurant guide. Generally the island is very expensive, especially food. Fodors however has quite a list of places in all price ranges. All of the places I mentioned have houses for rent if you want the luxury of your own pool and staff. Congratulations in advance.

Old Dec 23rd, 1997, 06:10 PM
G. WALTERS

MELISSA: One more vote against the all-inclusive there are still too many places where the real beauty of the island is seen by renting a jeep and just driving from place to place. However Jamaica is NOT such a place. For quiet beauty I like Provo in the Turks and Caicos islands. If your budget allows try the Grace Bay Club, heaven on earth. But the perfect honeymoon spot is to be found on the little island on Anguilla. The resort is called Cap Jaluca, a moorish inspired jewel that is the absolute perfect spot for your once in a lifetime trip. p.s., they also run good summer season specials. best of luck kids. CONGRATS!!!!

Old Jan 18th, 1998, 09:26 PM
laura

My husband & I have been to both the Sandals Royal Bahamian and Sandals Ocho Rios. We enjoy the all inclusives. However, it will depend upon what you want for your honeymoon. If you want to go out and go exploring/site-seeing, an all-inclusive may not be the best answer. However, if you want a relaxing vacation hanging out on the beach and by the pool (which, trust me, after your wedding, you will want to relax), an all-inclusive may be what you are looking for. We went to the Bahamas for our honeymoon in October of 1996 and it is definitely more upscale than Jamaica. We had a lot of fun in Jamaica, but for the most part, we did not leave the resort. We did leave the property in the Bahamas, and I certainly felt safe. We enjoyed both resorts in different ways, but would recommend both and would go back to either.

Old Jan 20th, 1998, 09:40 PM
Diane

Everyone has a different idea about vacation. We would only do all inclusives with "0" kids and some organized activities.

We were at 2 all inclusives in Jamaica last year. Spring and Summer and guess what ended up both times hanging out with newleyweds who were usually at the end of there honeymoon and were ready for some fun and interaction.

My hubbie and I love togetherness but guess we also like some outside activities. You can not participate in the outside stuff if you do not want to. But once your there you do not think about $$$$$ or anything else.

Good luck

Old Jan 20th, 1998, 11:30 PM
Kenny

Provo in the Turks and Caicos is an EXCELLENT choice! Choose all-inclusive in Jamaica because of the guaranteed harassment you will recieve there. Elsewhere, all-inclusives really are not needed. With the exception of Jamaica, you will enjoy the people of the caribbean. Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 12:30 PM
Lori

Personally, I'm saving Tahiti for my honeymoon (need to meet the guy first), either on a cruise, Club Med... Re: weather in June-June starts the rainy season. Check out the Fodor's for the weather anywhere you think of going-I only go to the Caribbean Feb-May, and May is pushing it sometimes. I went to Club Med Turks&Caicos on Provo in May and it rained alot! I would not recommend you go to one tiny dot of an island with no real sights to explore on your Honeymoon, e.g. Provo, Anguilla or any other tiny island. Club Med's "finest" in the Bahamas which I saw reviewed somewhere may be a good bet. I would recommend a southern Caribbean cruise myself. See lots of islands, lots to explore, go snorkeling, stay locked up in your stateroom if you like, lay by the pool, eat lots of good food, have a disco and other entertainment right there, lots of good people you'll become friends with (go on Princess, don't go to Carnival). If you cruise, check with Cruises of Distinction (800#) or other discounters. Never pay rates listed in the brochure, and book EARLY. See the request for cruise info someone posted above for lots of good info. I stayed at Hedonism II in Jamaica, and if you go to an all-inclusive and take their excursions and stay within their confines, you will be safe. Sandals offers a stay at one use all 6 that looks tempting. My only Bahamas experience was at Princess' "private island", so I don't have any experience there. Good luck.

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 07:41 PM
Lisa

So here is my two cents...Bahamas beat Bahamas hands down. If you don't want to leave your resort go all inclusive and Jamaica. If you would like a tropical/lush experience try the southern Caribbean. Want guaranteed sunshine and very little rain and NO hurricanes? Try Aruba. Aruba has a wide variety of acommodations in every price range. No all inclusive needed here, the restaurants are great and not nearly as expensive as the Bahamas. It is a safe clean island, and although not tropical, an excellent beach/watersport destination. Not bad for honeymooners either my husband and I honeymooned last June at the Hyatt in Aruba. We were married in the Bahams, it was our second choice and we would not have done anything differently. No matter what your decision, keep asking questions until you find what is best for the 2 of you!
Lisa