Search

Bahamas in July

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bahamas in July

This july my family is going to Bahamas, we have three kids 18-23. We are staying at the Atlantis for the first half of the week and the Nassau British Colonial Hilton for the last part of the week.
What are fun things to do? Must do? I hear swimming with dolphins is a must?
Also
we want casual dining options, with a reasonable price. (which i know is hard at the Atlantis) any tips please!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM

jansenke; You'll love the old "BC" as the local Bahamians nicknamed the British Colonial. They've finished millions of dollars worth of renovations. In fact, Bahamian Parliament members meet there regularly. There's much to do, and if you like, I can list dozens of things 18-23 year olds would like to do. However, please avoid the dolphin encounters on Blue Lagoon. It is a business venture highly frowned upon by a growing number of people, including Bahmian Parliament members. Dolphins are marine mammals which are free-roaming and have complex pod social structures. The mothers need to keep their babies by their sides for at least 3 years, in order to teach them about the social structure, cooperative aspects, and how to avoid shark attacks. Dolphins in captivity live fewer years before death, and when adults are captured in the ocean the pod suffers immensely, especially when adult females are captivated and separated from their babies. Some research even reports, like captured apes and wild elephants, that severe depression sets in. That being said, I bet your kids would enjoy snorkeling expeditions with snorkeling and scuba diving operations. Right across from the old "BC", is a neat restaurant called "Conch ___?___", which has great meals for only moderate prices. Let me know if you'd like a list of things to do. Unfortunately, I'm late for work..bye! Robert
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response! I would love a list of things to do!
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM

It's Conch Fritters and specializes in Bahamian food. The conch fritters there are wonderful, as are the conch burgers, cracked conch and conch salad.

A trip to the Ardastra Zoo and Garden your kids would LOVE. As many of the animals they can pet and feed, so bring LOTS of quarters.

Also the Flamingo March is a hoot.

To get there take the #10 bus and let the driver know you want to go to the Zoo and he will let you off across the street, it is a short walk and around the corner from the formal garden, which you also might enjoy.

The Pirate Museum might also be fun.

The nice thing about the BC is the private beach and pool there, very nice and the view of the cruise ships coming in and going out of port is also fun.

Have a GREAT time and let us know if you have any other questions.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 06:34 PM

Yes, Conch Fritters is the name. They also make a mean Mac&Chesse dish. The Bahamians know how to make a REAL M&C, which is served with seasonings and is in rather firm slices. Domino's Pizza delivers to all hotel rooms; try the Conch Pizza!. Your sons could snorkel with established dive shops in pristine reefs. Also, most teach them how to scuba dive in the morning in the hotel pool, then have them dive with a divemaster in the afternoon to shallow reefs. Flying Cloud, Sea Island Adventures and other operations take people on half or full day sailing expeditions to remote islands near New Providence. BBQ's, remote beaches, and snorkeling over pristine reefs are included. Get a copy of "Bahamas Tourist News" (free) at the airport; it has discount coupons and all the events happening around Nassau and Paradise Island. Go to the fish fry on Arawak Cay to eat deep Bahamian foods, including Conch Salads; tour Fort Charlotte and her dungeons or Fort Fincastle; hit the Straw Market; glass-bottom boat tours go over sea gardens; take the horse-drawn surrey through Parliament Square; take an Eco tour with Pedal & Paddle Eco-Tours to see birdlife; and and hear a "Rake & Scrape" band at Conch Fritters. Bring snorkeling gear with you. Hint: at the Old "BC", you'll notice to the left, facing the ocean, a breakwall. Snorkel this area; It's only about 3-7 feet deep, and I've recorded parrot fish, angel fish, barracuda, an octopus, seveal small caribbean reef sharks, French Grunts, file fish, yellow-tail snapper, and trigger fish there. Have fun; hope this gives you some ideas. Robert
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:08 PM

jansenke; I must disagree with the poster. The waters off the beach of the old "BC" are still pristine, as evidenced by the reef life you will encounter while snorkeling there. And, you don't have to worry, yet, about PCB, mercury, lead and other environmental toxins in the drinking water, as you do now in the U.S. Nor will you have to worry about the BC Beach being closed down, like hundreds of beaches in the U.S., due to huge accumulations of bacteria in the Great Lakes, etc. Robert
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:25 AM

To the OP. Ignore the misinfo from 1111. He is a pathetic troll and well know for that on this forum
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:38 AM

to 1111 or more aptly 0000: Don't hold your breath.
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Crime2004.... a.k.a..... Harod. Take your medicine and leave the forums alone. We know all your alias and hopefully people are aware of how mentally sick you are.
To other Fodor's readers, ignore Harold in his many disguises.