Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Aug/Sept - weather in carribean too rainy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to go to the Carribean in Aug or Sept - I'm worried about hurricane/rainy season. Besides Aruba (already been) where can I go without too much risk. I know it'll be hot, but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Try this website for statistical weather averages for each month in the way of rainfall, temperatures, etc. Just type the country you are thinking about in the window and go from there.

http://www.weatherbase.com/

August/September is hurricane season and even Aruba is on the southern fringes of the hurricane belt, although Aruba tourism would like you to think otherwise and may get a hurricane. A couple of years back there was a hurricane warning out for Aruba when Ivan went through the area, but anything from St. Lucia southward is less likely to get a hurricane, but it is still a gamble. Barbabos is fairly safe as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM

August -September is pretty much the peak of the hurricane season..so you may want to keep that in mind when planning for Caribbean travel during that time.
Barbados is kind of a funny one...Lived there for two years. It tends to rain without notice for brief spells. Sometimes morning or afternoon. I've always said Barbados weather reminds me of England a little. Always walk with an umbrella...cause you never really know!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hurricanes are quite rare from Barbados on south, particularly Trinidad & Tobago. It might still be wise to take out trip insurance, just in case. For any of the islands, even in Aug-Sept, rain comes in the form of brief tropical showers, unless there is a tropical disturbance (tropical wave, depression, or storm) nearby. Then there could be showers/rain for some hours or even a day. The odds are really small against anything worse than that in a given week on a given island. BTW, Barbados is a wonderful island, much more lush and tropical than Aruba.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 01:43 PM

There is always a risk of hurricanes in August or September, which are usually the worst months, but the posters are absolutely correct ... the further south you go, the less likely a hurricane will cross your path. Just be aware that hurricanes do go south in the Caribbean, as they did last year, but they also caused little damage.

Consider Curacao or perhaps even Margarita Island, both of which have good beaches and less chance of hurricanes. Then there is Tobago.