Atlantis - dining plans or a la carte?

May 31st, 2018, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Atlantis - dining plans or a la carte?

Ok, we are rather set on Atlantis June 2019 with the kids and grandkids, there will be 12 of us. Three of the kids can eat from the several childrens menus, one is a special needs so not-applicable, the other 2 will be 14 and 15 so we would have to get total of 8 dining plans, probably at the "gourmet" level. It seems like alot of money, but several of the menus look very good, but do not provide a la carte prices, like $4 for a coffee or glass of OJ. What has your experience been with the dining plans? We have already decided not to consider the "casual" option -- there'd be too many little ones in that for sure, and we all do really to eat well at dinner. It is probable that we 6 adults + 2 teens would 3-course dinners. Would love to hear your experiences either via a la carte dining or in the dining plans. Lunch will be whatever/wherever we happen to be of course. It's a special occasion for DH and me, so are inviting our son & daughter and their spouses & kids. Have read previous post about buying water before arrival, and packing snacks, and liquor and appreciate any and all feedback.
Jun 1st, 2018, 04:29 AM

We have been to Atlantis both with and without the gourmet dining plan.
We spent less money without the plan. We haven't been there in several years, so maybe it has changed. Yes, the plan included food, however, they added the tax and tip on what the actual meal would cost and that was charged in addition to the cost of the plan. We also found we ate a lot more for dinner than we usually would because we wanted to "get our money's worth".
The next time we went we decided against the dining plan. We are not big breakfast eaters so we just brought some granola bars, etc. or would go down the road to the shopping center for an inexpensive breakfast. We usually ate lunch somewhere at the Atlantis and for dinner either ate there or one of the nearby restaurants.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 05:50 AM

If you don't mind the shuttle, across from Beach Towers is Comfort Suites. A block from there is a huge shopping/ice cream/restaurants center. Anthony's Bar and Grill is excellent, 1/3 of the price for anything, and huge portions. Other restaurants around too

Also consider a taxi to the other side of the bridge to Poop Deck

We also spent a lot less than having bought the food plan
Jun 5th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips above -- we are big breakfast eaters with the preference to skip lunch. With 12 of us, we are simply not going to get two taxis and go off the premises for dinners. If on our own, as we usually travel, this would be optimal. We need to have tables reserved for sure. My son and son-in-law will no doubt go over "there" to get some snacks, waters, etc., for their kids upon arrival, but for dinners, forget it. As to food, presume the rooms do not come equipped with refrigerators? My husband and I are treating ourselves to a Suite, which will hopefully have one. We will be getting four rooms -- my husband read that there would be four dining passes, one per room; therefore, if our two teens want to show up for breakfast later than the rest of us, they will be able to go on their own, but we need to confirm that fact. Still pondering the meal plans, typically we'd order a salad, entree and dessert, and of course if on the meal plan, we would. The younger kids on the childrens' would "help" finish desserts for sure! Still need to get answers from Atlantis on several questions.
Jul 21st, 2018, 05:25 PM

We did a group trip to the Atlantis for my 40th birthday, 13 years ago! We did the meal plan and breakfast is huge! They have a special at lunchtime by the pool with a few burgers and fries and sodas and we did that a few times. Dinners, I went with the gourmet. Some in the family went buffet. We ate all together twice and the other two nights, we went gourmet. The gourmet meals were excellent and if you have eaters in your group, well worth it.
We also had a suite and it came with two bathrooms. We had our kids at the time 10 and 12 in our room with us. We were in the royal towers. Everyone was in our tower except one of my brothers who was in the beach tower. He moved over after day one because his kids were young and the trek to our end and the pools was long. The coral tower is an inbetween price and is much closer than the beach towers. All in all we had fun and it is a good place for a group.

Search this Thread