Reload this Page >

Aruba vs Cayman Islands

Search

Aruba vs Cayman Islands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Ed

Aruba vs Cayman Islands

My wife and I (no kids this time) are deciding between Aruba or the Cayman Islands. We are going at the end of July/beginning of August. Read good things about the Westin and Hyatt in Grand Cayman. Also read good things about the Hyatt and Radisson in Aruba. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 02:40 AM
Caribbeanlover

<BR> <BR>You would want to watch out for Hurricanes during that time of the year in the Caribbean, so if you have great fear for Hurricanes I would go to Aruba and save the Caymens which are best in the latter part and the early part of the year. Both islands are great competitors of each other, they are both family oriented, quality oriented , both are safe and have one of the highest standards of living in the region. You can not go wrong with both. The Radisson in Aruba has went through a 50 million dollar renovation and it is luxury having Aruba's largest Spa, they even have a manmade beach adjacent to their pool, which is quiet a unique concept. <BR> <BR>Enjoy

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 04:51 AM
crystal

no doubt in my mind - Grand Cayman - you may as well go to Ft. Lauderdale if you choose Aruba - absolutely NO CHARM and NO CULTURE!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Sandy

That time of year you really don't need to worry about hurricanes in Grand Cayman. I would chose Grand Cayman over Aruba anytime. It's a much safer island, friendlier people and much more beautiful island. Think about renting a condo instead of the two resorts you mentioned. It saves quite a bit of money if you can do some meals like breakfast or lunch at your condo. But definetely, Grand Cayman!!!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 05:20 AM
CJ

Ed, I've been to both and love them both for different reasons. What are your preferences & what specific things would help you decide between the two?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Ed

CJ, <BR> <BR>I want to go to an island where I feel safe in exploring the entire island. The resort should have a nice pool/beach. Nightlife (shows, band, bar w/DJ) would be nice. Also looking for good restaurants at acceptable prices. Since it's a short trip (4 days) we are leaning towards the Cayman Islands because it's closer (we live in NJ) and takes less time to get to. I've been told that Aruba has more of a nightlife than Cayman but we are hoping that the Cayman Islands have some semblance of a nightlife. I also enjoy scuba diving (but I'm not certified so I have to do the resort course each time) and I've been told that the Cayman Islands has top notch scuba. Your input is very welcomed. Eventually we will get to both islands so I'd like to hear what you have to say about both. Thanks again.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:36 PM
CJ

Ed, safety is very important to me while on vac and I felt very safe on both islands. We explored each end to end w/out incident. The Hyatt in GC is not ocean front (across the street) and lacks a little in the usual Hyatt atmosphere due to location--IMO. The Westin is nice and O/front but I didn't see their beach area. We don't seek nightlife so I'm no expert but I didn't recall seeing any clubs (conservative place). I'm sure the hotels/resorts provide it though. Check out www.caribtravelnews/ctr_index.htm for lengthy reports with sound advice IMO. Everyone uses categories so nightlife should have a section of it's own here & there. The best meals we had in GC were at The Edge (on the ocean, great atmosphere and food) for about $75/two and at the Lone Star (really good and not the chain we have here) for about $15 each. Also, I've found that restaurants where divers gather are usually good. The GC reef is great providing gentle, crystal clear water and lots of fish for snorkeling. The stingray swim is a must. I love 7 mile beach too. <BR> <BR>You're right about the commute. It took us much longer to reach Aruba--important w/ a 4 day trip. However, they do have the nightlife (Club 2000 booms as does Carlos & Charlies--younger crowd there though). We had great meals there (El Goucho is not to be missed) with an average of $13-$20 per person...but you could also eat for about $10 each if you wanted to. The water is not as clear in Aruba and not as many fish but the natural bridge, natural pool and great beaches make up for it. I actually don't remember the Hyatt in Aruba but the Radisson is pretty and most say it's second to none (see www.arubabound.com for one couple's Radisson reports) <BR> <BR>So, with safety you're equal. With cost, GC will be a quite a bit more (groceries, meals, rental car). Commute & snorkeling, GC. Also, hurricanes may be an issue in early August. GC is greener but I like the desert so I found them equally pretty. Check out a GC tour site to find out the GC rainy season...you don't want to lose time to rain on a 4-day---it rained several days when we went in June. Tough decision but I'm sure you'll love either. Have a good trip.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:35 PM
L:azy Crystal

Crystal you have never been to the real Aruba only to sit in your beach chair burning yourself up the entire day on your vacation. Have you visited Santa Cruz Aruba, have visited the Archealogical Museum or the Cultural Fest. <BR> <BR>There is much culture in Aruba, it is just that people are too lazy or not interested in visiting the cultural places or the other sites on the island than just to limit themselves to the resort area, what a shame.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Anonymous

Dear Lazy Idiot: Did you ever stop to consider that the reason people don't want to waste their time discovering these "cultural" treasures is because the island is so damned UGLY to drive around to begin with?!?!!!