Aruba or DR for Writer

Feb 7th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Paris

Aruba or DR for Writer

I'm looking to spend 10 days in either Aruba or the Dominican Republic (or both) in mid April. I plan to spend a good deal of the time working from the room or hotel grounds (I'm a writer on deadline). I'm looking for peaceful, quiet, view and good food (a good hotel restaurant with a varied menu will be fine). Any thoughts?

Feb 7th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Sally

The Bucuti in Aruba sounds perfect for you. It is a small and charming Europen style resort that caters to a more quiet lifestyle and the beach is to die for. Next door at the Manchebo is a nice restaurant called French Steakhouse. We use www.travelunlimited.com they have great rates and service.

Feb 9th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Lee

Paris, I have to agree with Sally. I haven't stayed at the Bucuti, but have seen it and from what it looks like, it's want you are looking for.

I've been to aruba twice and had dinner at the French Steakhouse twice and she is right again.

You will be close to downtown and many other places to eat, so you can't go wrong.

Tip: Don't spend too much time in your room and miss this beautiful island. Why not stay home, finish your writing and THEN go to Aruba so you can really enjoy it?

Feb 9th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Parrot Mom

That is quite a choice...Aruba which is sanitized and looks and feels like the US with Taco Bell, McDonalds with aloe vera plants and divi trees or the D.R. which is a spanish speaking country with magnificent beaches and the truly tropical atmosphere (you can tell I have an opinion).. Can;t guarantee every resort will have five star restaurants we we know them in the States.. One thing is for sure..the D.R. has gorgeous beaches, palm trees and the resorts have lots of places to hide out... You might as well go to Florida or the Keys for heavens sakes..

Feb 9th, 2001, 06:41 PM
toni

I definitely agree with the last post. Big difference between the two islands. You might tell us what sort of budget you have. The DR would definitely be cheaper than Aruba. The weather would definitely be better in Aruba, which gets the most days of sunshine of any caribbean island. Both islands have beautiful beaches, there is probably more to do in Aruba than the DR. If you are looking just to relax than go to the DR but choose a good 5 star hotel, otherwise you will be very disappointed with your trip.