Search

Aruba....for Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Mer

Aruba....for Honeymoon

My fiance and I are considering Aruba for our honeymoon....we're limited because of &quot;Hurricane Season.&quot; our wedding is 8/30/03. He has spent 9 weeks in Hawaii--so we're hoping to try something new to both of us. We have been researching places to stay in Aruba and are worried if we stay at a smaller place we'll get a &quot;timeshare talk.&quot; I've heard the Hyatt is amazing....please send ideas..Thanks!<BR>Meredith

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Heidi

Hi! My husband and I went to Aruba for 5 days 2 years ago (which wasn't nearly long enough) - got the &quot;timeshare talk&quot; - and bought a timeshare there. If you're going to buy a timeshare, Aruba is the place to do it. Many people I've talked to either know someone or they themselves continue to visit Aruba yearly or every 2 years. It's a sure thing. Weather is ALWAYS nice. Hot, but the constant tradewinds never let you feel it. (WEAR SUNSCREEN FAITHFULLY and APPLY DILIGENTLY!) The people are friendly, hotels are clean, and everything's accessible. We went last year for a week and did some more sightseeing. Staying on Palm Beach is your best bet. We stayed at the Radisson the first time and I can't say enough good things about it, but Hyatt is beautiful for a honeymoon. Aruba's not as much a &quot;honeymoon&quot; destination as is Hawaii, but you'll find you're treated well anyway, just like everyone else. Hyatt is good about giving special treatment. Make sure your travel agent tells them it's your honeymoon. If you stay at the Hyatt, you'll be in the middle of it all - you can walk up and down the hotel (Palm Beach) strip and go anywhere you want for dinner, shopping, gambling. I definitely recommend the Sunset Grille at the Radisson just one night - great food. There's also a little shack of a lunch and early dinner place at the very end of the &quot;strip&quot; that might be fun to visit for more local culture. Take the bus downtown and you can shop forever, go do the nightlife at night or go to local restaurants. I would avoid El Gaucho - way overpriced and too commercial. Go to another recommended churascarria - maybe the hotel knows the one that's across the highway and has a cigar bar. I can't remember the name. Anyway, you certainly won't get any hurricanes in Aruba. Also, one week is probably enough for Aruba. You might want to hop to another island for something different if your honeymoon is two weeks.<BR><BR>Hope that helps!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Lisa

My husband and I went to Aruba in June for our 10 year anniversary.We were both very disappointed. Aruba is very deserty. It's not tropical at all. We stayed at the Radisson which was nice but for the money we spent on our room (deluxe ocean view) was not worth it. I've been to other Caribbean islands and I was not impressed with the beaches. The water was not very clear. Sorry to all the people who love Aruba,but it's not for everyone and we would never return again. Hope you have a great honeymoon,wherever you choose to go. Be sure to look into some different places in the Caribbean!!!!! Lisa

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:37 AM
John

1) If you're young and just starting to take on new financial burdens, buying a timeshare would be a terribly FOOLISH thing to do unless you have inherited money. So I think Heidi's advice is misplaced and shortsighted.<BR><BR>2) The whole timeshare debate itself is contentious and if you read through the posts on the US board, you'll find that even former timeshare salespeople laugh at people who buy timeshares if the reason they buy them is &quot;to save money&quot;. They are not a way to save money unless you buy a resale on the cheap-cheap.<BR><BR>3) If you want great weather and nice beaches, a safe destination and a relaxed environment, Aruba is a great place to honeymoon. If you want a lush tropical destination, Aruba will disappoint. It's nothing like Hawaii or the USVI's (as I'm sure you've read).<BR><BR>4) The Hyatt is a nice resort. Compared to the best in Hawaii, it's about a 7-8 on a scale of 10. It's the best in Aruba.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Kristen

Hi Mer-<BR><BR>We stayed at the Radisson in September...it is a beautiful resort. Iw ill definitely saty there again when I return. We did eat dinner one night at the Hyatt and that seemed to be a very nice hotel as well.<BR><BR>The Radisson sits on the best stretch if beach I saw (and the beaches are beautiful there). And the water is an amazing turquoise color. The hotel recently underwent major renovations and it shows. the grounds are beaitifully landscaped...waterfalls and parrots everywhere! And the rooms are very nice. Very tastefully decorated, large and clean. And the staff was extremely helpful and accomodating. Gilligan's (the beach ar/restaurant at the hotel) makes the best pina coladas I have ever tasted <BR<BR><BR>We went in early September and the weather was perfect everyday. And at the time of year when you're going, you should be able to get some great deals.<BR><BR>A few &quot;must dos&quot;...<BR><BR>Dinner at El Gaucho<BR>Kukoo Kunuku party bus<BR>Jolly Pirates snorkel or sunset sail<BR>Rent a 4x4 and explore the other side of the island<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Steve

Hi Meredith,<BR><BR>If I am reading your post correctly, you don't want to buy a time share, you just don't want to get the &quot;timeshare talk&quot;. If that's the case, we were in Aruba 2 years ago and we were approached once on the beach. We said no thanks and they didn't bother us again. Regarding the island itself, If your husband has spent 9 weeks in Hawaii I think you may be disappointed. It's not very tropical, it's deserty and commercialized. However, I will say that the food was very very good. I agree with everything Lisa said, Aruba is not for everyone. I'm not sure what amazing means to you, but IMO the Hyatt isn't amazing. The pool area is beautiful and the common areas are quite nice, but not amazing. There are die-hard Aruba fans who will say that Aruba is paradise to them. Honeymoons should be romantic and special, I just don't think Aruba is.<BR><BR>Since it is the &quot;hurricane season&quot;, I don't remember hurricans hitting Islands like the BVI's and St. John's, but I could be wrong. I've read some great reviews on both of these, very tropical and very romantic.<BR><BR>Sorry if I disillusioned you, but Aruba is not for everyone. If you want something really tropical and have the $$$$ go to Bora Bora. That's truly paradise!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Mer

THANK YOU!<BR>I didn't think anyone would actually write back to me about my question, but you all did! You all gave us very very good things to think about--and John--my sister went to Tahiti on her honeymoon as did my cousin--the pictures are amazing! And you are right--we don't want to do a timeshare! Thanks to all those who gave advice! Keep it coming!<BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Stormy

Re: Steve's comments about hurricances in the Virgin Islands, St Thomas has been hit by 22 hurricanes and named tropical storms since 1944, including 4 category 3-5 hurricanes.<BR><BR>The BVI's list 26 total hurricanes/storms with 5 category 3-5 hurricanes during the past 58 years.<BR><BR>St Croix lists 20 and 4.<BR><BR>The Virgins are in the middle of a hotbed of hurricane activity.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Steve

To Stormy,<BR><BR>Were any of these hurricanes in August? Just curious.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 09:39 PM
GM

Would you consider Grenada for your honeymoon? That's where I'd go if my wedding was in August. It's outside the hurricane belt, with tropical forests. The aroma of spices hits you when you de-plane.<BR><BR>I'd like to recommend LaSource as well as Spice Island Beach Resort (check both websites/contact them for honeymoon rates).<BR><BR>Hope this helps, and all the best for your upcoming marriage!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Laura

Mer,<BR> Itook the chance this that is your real address and sent you an email<BR><BRLaura