Reload this Page >

Aruba:Best way to call the U.S.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Leslie

My husband is waiting to hear back from several job interveiws that he has had and we are leaving for Aruba in two days. (we've had this non-refundable vacation planned for over a year, and he's unfortunately been out of work for 6 months now) What's the most economical way of phoning our answering machine to check for any good news? Is there an international Calling card we should buy? Will our cell phone work there? How much is it to call from a payphone vs. from our hotel?<BR><BR>thanks!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Ruby

The best way (it might even be the ONLY way)is to purchase is a SETAR card and use it in SETAR phones. It was a lttle pricy but nearly what our hotel was charging..$4.00 a minute!<BR><BR>I don't know where you are staying, but there is a SETAR office across the strret from the Hyatt/Allego hotels on Palm Beach<BR><BR Ruby

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:06 AM
eileen

We had a really hard time making calls from Aruba to the US despite the fact that I had called AT&T ahead of time for acess numbers, etc. There is some kind of phone conspiracy going on there. We couldn't ever get our AT&T card to work. There are pay phones at the resorts and you can use a credit card which is what we ended up doing. I would suggest you try to buy an international calling card when you get to Aruba, we didn't have one and the only options we had was to wait on line for 45 minutes to use the resort pay phone with our credit card or call collect from our hotel room and even that was difficult. Our cell phone did not work there, you would have to have a special international cell phone.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Leslie

Thanks for the advice, We are staying at the Mariott Ocean Club, I think I will try and purchase a SETAR card...how much is it? Where are the SETAR phones located, are there more than one location for them?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Ruby

Leslie..I meant SETAR cards are NOT nearly as much as the resort charge of $4.00/minute. I am not sure where else you can buy the cards but I did see SETAR phones around Orajastan (sp?)

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Ken

Go to this website if you are looking to rent a cellular phone for a day or whatever which includes a calling card in the rental: www.dantelnv.com/. You can also buy a Setar phone card for calling back to the states. Setar Teleshop offices are at three locations: Palm Beach, in front of the Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort, Strada Complex II, at the beginning of the main street in Oranjestad and the Royal Plaza