Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations in Grand Caymans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Randy

We're off on our first visit to the Cayman Islands at the end of March and would like some Fodorite recommendations on dining out. What's your favorite? Any places that we should avoid? We enjoy a wide variety of foods--seafood, international, etc.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Terry

It's been awhile, but I enjoyed the all you can eat fajitas at Lone Star Grill on 7 Mile Beach. Reasonably priced buckets of beer as well. Not haute cuisine, but much fun! <BR><BR>Hey Fodorites, is Lone Star still there??<BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 03:36 PM
Hugh

I believe Lone Star is gone. We typically don't dine out but eat in at our leisure. What I do know is that most of the restaurants are just so-so. Not nearly the quality that you'd expect in a place as ritzy as the Caymans!

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Trish

We're off to the Cayman's next month. I was told by someone who just returned how good the Lonestar is for Fajita's and Margarita's, so it's still there. I would be happy to let you know about our dining experiences when we return.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:11 PM
juli

Randy:<BR><BR>Lone Star is in fact still there. I have heard people rave about it but never got there on my last visit.<BR><BR>I never had a bad meal on Cayman. I still dream about certain dishes I had while there. The REEF GRILL was my favorite. I had this amazing grilled tuna in ponzu sauce that I crave to this day. They have a live reggae band there on Thurs-Sat and you must go they are right on the beach.<BR><BR>My second favorite was Smuggler's Cove. Very romantic. There filet mignon was very good and peppery and there dessert of chocolate pecan pie was to die for. <BR>It was another great place. These two places are not cheap though it will run about $45 dollars/per person or more with appt, entree, dessert and wine.It was well worth it though.<BR><BR>We also went to Almond Tree and Pappagallo. Both where very good but not spectacular. Although Pappagallo's potato gnocci was like none I have ever tasted. I would go back for that.<BR><BR>Some of the more reasonable places that everyone recommended to me where Chicken!Chicken!, Lone Star Grill,and Pd's . All great places at a little cheaper prices. For Cayman anyway. <BR><BR>Have a great time, make sure you take a snorkel trip, LOTS OF SPF 30 suncreen and I mean LOTS and have plenty of money. You'll have a blast. If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me without the xxx's.<BR><BR>Good Luck<BR>JK

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:17 PM
juli

Oh and I am not sure where Hugh is from in this world, but the food in Cayman is not just so-so you just have to spend money and get good recommendations. I live in the NYC area and eat out ALOT. We all had some of the best seafood ever in Cayman.I didnt even mention the sushi from the Hyatt hotel.<BR> I have also eaten in some of the top ranked restaurants in NY and the service and ambiance of Cayman blows them away for sure. The people are as friendly as people can be and the regional cuisine is amazing.<BR><BR>Sorry Hugh but you need to either actually visit there, or spend the money to actually leave your hotel room.

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 06:17 PM
Clarification

I just have to chime in here. Hugh - you are correct, the food IS just so-so. And I, too, Juli, have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in NYC and elsewhere. Money was not a factor for us and we did get "good recommendations" and the food was still not all that impressive. Among others, we dined the following places during our trip:<BR>Papagallos - just okay, nothing special<BR>The Wharf - sucked<BR>Cassanova - very good food and service<BR>Almond Tree - this was pretty good too, just ask to reserve one of the tables out on the water<BR>Cracked Conch - not memorable<BR><BR>As far as the Lone Star - it was there in the spring, and was good for a few drinks. But it's a friggen bar (like PDs) - and who the heck wants to go to an INDOOR bar in the Caymans when you can go sit in the exact same type of place at home??!! <BR><BR>We were expecting more classy, open air (on the water) dining experiences and we certainly did not find them in the Caymans. It's over rated, but I guess worth a trip if you haven't been before. There is no culture there either - you don't feel like you're on an island for sure.<BR><BR>Anyway, Randy - there are a few good places and no matter where you go, bring money. We paid over $100 for every dinner and over $50 for every lunch for 2 people.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Scott

I'm shocked to hear people say that the dining in GC is "so-so". Yes, the restaurants are very expensive, but also some of the best we have ever been to. The last poster that rated several restaurants ate at some of the most commercial, tourist-trap restaurants on the island, and missed some of the best. The Wharf & Pappagallos USUALLY get very good reviews, but do in fact have a mixed bag of negative comments. We ate at the Wharf, and loved it. The atmosphere there is wonderfully romantic. <BR><BR>Other restaurants to try that are "not to miss" include: The Reef Grill, the Sea-bass here is to die for!! Lantanas, amazing fresh seafood creations. Smugglers Cove, again, gourmet at it's finest, and the tables right on the water are unforgetable.<BR><BR>Others that we didn't get to try that have come highly recommended from Cayman regulars include: Cimboco, Casanovas, Portafinos. I'm sure there are others as well.<BR><BR>Sorry to the folks that had a few bad experiences on GC as far as dining goes. Maybe just off nights at the places you didn't like. Bottomline is that GC is known for expensive restaurants, but also for excellent gourmet experiences, and absolutely wonderful restaurants. We also have the priviledge to enjoy many fine restaurants in the Boston area, and feel Grand Cayman measures up an exceeds in many ways. Go, and enjoy, and DO NOT let anyone tell you that the dining in GC is just "so-so" as that is just not true!!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Sandy

Randy,<BR>Two great restaurants that no one has mentioned, are the Lighthouse and The Edge. Both restaurants have screened patios areas to eat, with fantastic views!! And I agree with Julie and Scott, don't listen to " the food is so-so". They haven't been to the right places!!<BR>Sandy

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 05:31 AM
MK

No one has mentioned Ragazzi either! It is our favorite by far. It is relatively new. Not on the water, but a very nice little place with excellent food. We also liked Casanovas. And I don't know why the Wharf gets such mixed reviews. The food was good, maybe a bit overpriced but I figured we were paying for the gorgeous atmosphere!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Clarification

Yes, Casanovas was excellent, as I mentioned before. We thought that the Wharf was just very touristy and not that great. They feed the tarpons there and we sat right in front to get a good view. If a meal is really good, then I can tell you what I ate and everything else about it. I don't even remember what I had there! But to each his own, so I would try it, Randy, and decided for yourself. We also went to the Edge (mentioned above) for lunch and it did have a marvelous atmosphere (right on the water.) I guess our expectations for Grand Cayman were SO HIGH, that we expected it to be the most incredible place/vacation. We were simply disappointed (although the snorkeling trips we took were out of this world!!) I guess it didn't help that I found a hair in my food at TWO separate places on that trip...ugh!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:16 AM
juli

Clarification:<BR><BR>If you had read my previous post you would have seen that I said that Pd's and Lone Star as well as Chicken!Chicken! where affordable places to eat. Not 5 star dining. But good food at a good price. So that each meal didnt have to cost $200 while there because some people need to be frugal.<BR><BR>While I was there we ate every meal Breakfast, lunch and dinner outside with the exception of Papagallo's. So please dont mislead people into thinking that there are not a ton of places with outside dining. You just have to find them. <BR><BR>Randy asked for opinions and got them. I think the majority of people agree that the dining in Cayman is better then so-so. And unless you are a blind man who is in a cave I am not sure how you can feel like your not on and island when if your on cayman all you need to do is look out your window.<BR><BR>Randy dont be discouraged just do some research and check out some menus ahead of time. I am sure you'll do fine.<BR><BR> <BR><BR>Check out Caymanrestaurants.com for listing of restaurants and many include menus.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:06 AM
freewoman

Randy ----<BR><BR>I, too, have never had a BAD meal in Grand Cayman. My favorites are The Lobster Pot, The Wharf (they are owned by the same people), Hemmingways at the Hyatt, Portifino at the Mariott, Lantanas, Grand Old House, The Almond Tree, Cassanovas and Hooks at Treasure Island (be sure to ask for Hooks Seafood and not Athenas Greek).<BR><BR>The Lone Star Bar and Grill was still there when I was there last May and yes, it is just like bars here (do you suppose that is because it is owned by a couple from San Antonio??) But they do have good burgers if you are looking for a quick lunch.<BR><BR>Also when I was there last, there were two evenings, I just did not want to get dressed and go to dinner. You can call 979-DINE and order a wonderful meal (they are affiliated with quite a few restaurants) and they deliver it right to your hotel room. Those were two great meals also. <BR><BR>I have to say that I am rather picky about what I eat and I also have some intestinal problems, and I have never had a problem with any meal in Grand Cayman. (Now St. Lucia is a different story!!)

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 10:21 AM
fran

OK, I read all the comments about dining in Grand Cayman, and I have a few myself. My daughter & son-in-law are living there (he runs a restaurant), so I've been down there quite a bit lately. No one mentioned the Thai Orchid -authentic Thai- which is excellent! Ragazzi is great Italian for either lunch or dinner (it's in a store-front though). The Grand Old House provided one of the finest dinners we've ever had (expensive!). The Reef Grill is excellent also. And, I would definitely recommend the Brasserie at Cricket Square - off the beaten path; locals dine there, lunch or dinner - the address is Elgin Avenue; you'll have to ask directions. And no one mentioned the restaurant, BED. The food is great, the servers wear pijamas, and the booths along the side walls are made from headboards! They have a very busy bar area as well.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Delile

There are just so many good to great restaurants on Grand Cayman, so it is a mistake to visit the island once and try a few of them and then generalize from that. I do find that those coming from suburbia tend to be more impressed, and think it's pricier, than those who come from major metro areas. I'm from a major metro area, and I rank Grand Cayman among the best for quality and variety of restaurants in the Caribbean. However there are many islands that have much more fresh local seafood, produce, and local Caribbean dishes.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Randy

Thanks to all for the info and opinions! It sounds like we have a great selection of recommendations. We've been going to Aruba for the past 4 or 5 years so all of this sounds like a great change of pace--some pricey some not. We're looking forward to it! Thanks again!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

Just got back from 10 days on Grand Cayman. Have many comments about the restaurants mentioned here, but only have time to say this: Go to La Bodega. It is in the West Shore Plaza, where Cap'n Morgan's used to be. It has been open only 10 days and starts serving lunch on Monday. They have excellent food, spicy, but very creative. Service is good, bar is hopping. The prices are low (CI$ 5-7 for appetizers, dinners in the teens). Portions are large. It is a definite don't miss. Can't resist saying that Lone Star is still there (a sentimental favorite of mine).

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Robert Clark

For some trip reports and restaurant reviews, check out the GoToCayman.com web site

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:18 PM
bill

Robert,<BR>Maybe you should spend time fixing dead links and spelling errors on your web site before spamming boards with your URL. A word processor will find your spelling errors for you, and a link checker like the one in InterDev will resolve your links automatically. Since your site is basically a collection of links, you should at least verify them occasionally.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:17 PM
susan

Well I'm not an expert but after just returning from our second trip to GC I would have to say that the food at the Lighthouse is pretty outstanding. The Pappagallo is also really, really good. I have found (after working as a waitress during high school and college) that the BEST meals anywhere are those that are either the specialty of the house or a signature dish of the restaurant. I always ask the waiter for suggestions. So far never been disappointed. Enjoy. For a much less expensive meal try Chicken Chicken- delicious! We bought the meal for 4 people and carried it back to our condo for dinner. Only cost about $25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -