Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Arriving very, very late in San Juan - can I get a taxi? Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arriving at San Juan airport just after 2 am. Can I get a taxi at that time and can anyone suggest a hotel where we can check in at that late/early hour? Would prefer something reasonably priced, not looking for anything fancy or hotel chains etc. We'll only be staying that night and day in San Juan. Thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 08:03 AM

SJU is a major International Airport - you can find taxis there 24/7/365. The taxi stand is just outside the Baggage Claim Area.

If you have a reservation you can check into any of the hotels in San Juan at any hour. In your case with a 2AM arrival you'll make your reservation for the prior evening and then if you stay past the hotel's usual check-out time (check-out time can vary from hotel to hotel and some offer a "late check out service" either for free or modest uncharge) you might have to pay for an additional night - that's pretty much standard practice in the industry.

FYI - there is a hotel right inside the Airport Terminal (https://airporthotelpr.com). Whether or not you find the room rates "reasonably priced" will depend on your definition of that term. Sorry, I have no idea what you think is "reasonably priced". There are plenty of other hotels within a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride of the airport. Use sites like Trivago, Hotels.com, Expedia, etc. to find San Juan hotels in all price ranges.
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 10:33 AM

I've stayed at the El San Juan hotel which is 10 mins from the airport. You'll need to book the room from the night before for a 2am arrival, be sure to tell the hotel of your expected arrival time, otherwise they might think you are a no-show, even if you have pre-paid or guaranteed the room.
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 06:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd check out the hotel right at the airport and also any of the hotels in Isla Verde (which is just a few minutes away from the airport). Odin mentioned El San Juan Hotel, but that is one of the pricier ones. If you just need a place to sleep you should be able to find less expensive alternatives in the area.