Are some islands too windy?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:09 PM
snorkeler

Are some islands too windy?

I went to Turk & Caicos (N. Caicos and Provo) about 6 years ago (in March), and for the enitre week there was serious wind whipping down the beach that pelted you with sand. Got into your hair, eyes, clothes, etc. as you walked. Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I want to plan a snorkeling trip to the out islands of the Bahama this summer, but am concerned that the Bahamas will be similar. Have people found the Bahamas to be very windy? How about Grand Cayman? I don't mind a healthy island breeze, but can do without being sandblasted.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:14 PM
travelbuff

Have not had wind as a problem during the summer months. December there is a bit of wind, but during the summer, a nice breeze would be welcome.

Which outisland are you considering?

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:20 PM
snorkeler

Not really sure. Have heard good things (particularly about snorkeling) about Eleuthra, Anegada and? (like relatively quiet, but with some little restaraunts/pubs. Don't need much luxury.)

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:21 PM
snorkeler

I messed up last one-- also Cat Island. Was wondering if you had specific recommendations

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:25 PM
travelbuff

I would recommend Valentine's on Harbour Island as a very good dive/snorkle operator. They also have a dive course so you can try a shallow dive. There are some GREAT snorkle spots off Eleuthera and Harbour Island, like a Civil War train, sunk on a barge in a hurricane, on it's way to Cuba, and very off course. Makes for a great snorkle site 100 years later.

There are several nice places to stay on island and several good restaurants and a couple of nite spots.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:39 PM
snorkeler

Thanks. I definitely check it out.