grenada or st. lucia in july

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:<BR><BR>We are planning a trip to either Grenada or St. Lucia in July. Is Grenada rainier than St. Lucia at this time of year? What will the weather be like?<BR><BR>Also, do you get really pestered by vendors on Grand Anse beach? Grenada sounds fabulous from what I have read but I am concerned about these two things.<BR><BR>thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 05:29 PM
CF

Have been to both islands twice and I would vote for Grenada. It is a much nicer island on the whole. The peddlers on Grand Anse usually respond to a polite no thanks. We were literally swarmed in St.L on the streets of Soufriere. Never again. Compared to Grenada St.L was dirty.<BR><BR>Be sure to take a trip to the interior of the island is you go to G. It is something else. Beautiful.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:12 AM

I've been to both in the summer. Weather is very similar - refreshing rain showers in late afternoon cool things off. Our hotel on Grenada was right in the middle of Grande Anse. The vendors will recognize you once they see you the first time. If you take the time to chat, you'll love them! One vendor, Wally, taught my daughters how to waterski while they taught him to play their paddleball set. We got to hold and play with another lady's infant baby while she braided my daughter's hair.<BR><BR>We rented a villa between the Pitons in St. Lucia and visited Soufriere almost daily for bread etc. It's amazing (I guess we white folk stick out) but after the first time, nobody at all bothered us. Very different from the cruise ship passenger experience for sure.<BR><BR>Grenadans love Americans, and it shows. This is not the attitude prevalent in most of the Caribbean, so it's a welcome feeling. This is what gives Grenada the edge over StL IMHO. But they're both beautiful!
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:22 AM

My vote also goes to Grenada. They have minivan's to get around in that are very cheap - a great way to see whatever you're interested in. <BR>July is their rainy season, but the rain doesn't last long. The temperature should be about 80 degrees. Next to no humidity.<BR>Grand Anse beach has vendors that will try to sell you coral jewelry, crafts, t-shirts, etc. but just be polite and say no if you're not interested.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I'll have to vote for Grenada, people are great and polite, it's a little off the beaten path and I think carnival might be around that time as well. The Grand Etang forrest should not be missed.<BR>I hope this helps.<BR><BR>Jayded1
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:35 AM

We love Grenada - just spent 10 days in Grenada in November. It's a great vacation. Don't worry about vendors. They are very polite and will not bother you on the beach after the first 'no thank you' - of course, you have to say that to several of them but we've never found it to be a hassle. We usually just buy some things the first day and use that vendor's name all week - &quot;Thanks but I bought my spices from Amy yesterday&quot;. You can use this trick too - buy a spice necklace and hang it off your backpack or pocketbook. It's a good signal that you've at least purchased those. My husband actually wore a spice necklace and walked the length of the vendor stalls in the Carenage without being accosted - quite a feat!<BR><BR>Do beware of the guys in town offering a 'walking tour' of St. George's. It's fine if that's what you want to do. But if you don't, and you're not clear about that, you end up with a buddy walking with you for a bit, pointing out the sites, and then expecting to be paid for it. It's not a problem if you're clear that you are not interested. We are at all times polite and that's what we always get in return. <BR><BR>Take an island tour with Mandoo!<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip!