Search

Antigua vs. St. John

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 10:40 AM
Michael

Antigua vs. St. John

Okay..Okay..we are still trying to decide where to go for our Honeymoon. We've eliminated some places because this an excellent forum for information. But new question (or dilemma) is Antigua or St. John (USV). My fiancee would like to stay on the beach, but St. John is limited to beachfront places. I haven't heard much about Antigua other than it has great beaches. How is the water, snorkeling, shopping, events and food on Antigua compare to St. John?

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Karen

Although it may not be fair for me to say since I am very partial to St. John and have had only one stay on Antigua, the beaches on St. John win (but I didn't see 'em all on Antigua ... just don't go beach hopping!). The restaurants, at least the ones I tried, Chez Pascal, Le Biestro and Julian's were the best that I have had in many years of Caribb travel. St. John has a couple of good restuarants! Snorkling definately better on St. John and you ferry to St. Thomas if you are a "shopper" where there are many opportunities for duty free ... plus the limit is double coming from the USVI! St. John's (Antigua) shopping was a disappointment as I expected more galleries and the like - just too many t-shirt stands crowding the streets - and as someone said, "You are used to St. Thomas." I enjoy the Nat'l Park and its activities on St. John and the pristine condition of the island. Probably not helpful with your decision, but definately check out Caneel Bay!! Would I go back to Antigua - yes, just to eat in those three places plus Home! Otherwise, no. Would I go back to St. John ... yes, do it repeatedly!

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 06:58 AM
Christie

We spent a week on Antigua and had a wonderful time. Yes, there are certainly many really good restaurants on the island- Home was our favorite! The beaches are lovely, especially when you get out and away from the main ones by the resorts. There are so many that you can't possibly see them all! <BR> <BR>Snorkeling is good, but you are limited on the number of places you can go right off the beach. Most of the best snorkeling is on the reef that surrounds the island, but is about a mile off shore. There are plenty of excursions out to the reef, and many aren't horribly expensive. <BR> <BR>We're not much into shopping, so I'm not too much help there. I do know that Harmony Hall is the "gallery" place on Antigua, although we didn't go there. <BR> <BR>The big event each year is Carnival, which is in late July. Sailing week in March is also big, but roms book years in advance for that. Check out the official Antigua website: http://www.interknowledge.com/antigua-barbuda. <BR> <BR>Good Luck!