antigua>st thomas>st johns

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi first time to use fodors, great source info. Traveling in July for 2 weeks from Ireland via London to Antigua > to St Thomas/St John (LIAT). Thanks to your knowledge, I think I have most of my questions answered so far but need a wee bit of help: 4 of us 2 adults, 2 kids (8&13) based on the threads looks like I want to spend as much time on USVI section, possibly 3-4 night STT and 6-7 night STJ and only spend 2 or 3 nights on Antigua to top & tail with London flights.

1. Can anyone suggest somewhere in Antigua for 1 or 2 night stop, that won’t break the bank ~$200/night, probably close enough to walk/taxi to some action…maybe with pool or close to beach. Don’t mind if it in the town/self catering/condo.
2. Car hire STT….others suggest 4WD for STJ, I don’t have a problem with the driving (I drive on the left everyday) could I get away with standard car rented in STT to take over to STJ.
3. How much to rent snorkel gear locally….thinking it would be wise to take/buy own….(not that it will be any use to me off the north coast of N Ireland when I get home…)
4. St John...with 2 kids….any suggestions on best area that kids could go off safely and entertain themselves for a few hrs, if I was staying in villa/condo. The resort hotel are too $$$.
5. Will it be windy on East coast? (in Jamaica a few years ago in July and got sand blasted on the beach).

Many thanks to anybody who can help.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM

Hello norniron; welcome aboard! Lots of recent info you might use is posted on the Antigua and Barbuda section. Virgin just recommended and signed on the Catamaran as one of their small properties located in Falmouth. They are not near downtown but are a short distance away from Nelson's dockyard for phenonimal restaurants and good walking around the historical park there. We enjoyed LIFE rest on the water. Catamaran is a very small, quaint property but a fair distance from airport. One of the most well maintained, updated with new pool and spotless small proerties I've seen so far. Hope this helps!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks travelgetaways. Had noticed the Catamaran, price/accomm etc looks spot on. any idea on cost of taxi ride from airport to Falmouth for 4 +luggage

Was thinking st john/runaway beach area due to short trip form airport.

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Visited Lord Nelson by the Airport for drinks and food but not for lodging which runs aprx. $100us nite. Daisy will make you one mean truly old fashioned rum punch. Beachcomber also aprx same but ensure you ask up front that ac is in working condition and what to do if circuits blow during nite. Both on small beach, good proximatey to downtown and really close to ap.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM

We took our two kids to St. Thomas and St. John last summmer and had a ball. I don't think you need a 4WD in St. John. Snorkeling gear can be had for about $5/day. As far as kids activities: In St. Thomas be sure to take an underwater tour on Atlantis Submarine and Coral World is an excellent Aquarium. On St. John, Virgin Islands National Park offers incredible hiking and snorkeling. There also a variety of cool day sails. Travel With Kids Caribbean is a DVD that covers St. Thomas and St. John that might be interesting to you. I've seen it at IslandTots.com and Amazon. Also, have you thought about Maho Bay Camps - it's an eco resort that offers family tent accommodation, but it's more luxurious than it sounds. They provide everything you need to "camp" in the most exquisite pristine beachfront rainforest. The "tent" cottages have beds and other furniture and balconies with incredible sea views. They are suspended above the jungle floor, so you're literally surrounded by the beauty of the Virgin Islands National Forest. It's a great family trip!