Antigua over Easter, 2009

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in a villa for a week, during Easter. We are a family of 4, with 2 teenage (17 & 15) daughters. Although we've been to a few islands before (Aruba, St. Lucia, Tortola, St. John) I have always wanted to visit Antigua. The more I read, though, the more worried I get that we made the wrong choice. Any recommendations on what to see or do? We especially need suggestions for good places to dine. We will be staying on the East Coast, near Non Such Bay but are renting a jeep. Thanks for your help...
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:56 AM

Why do you think you made the wrong choice? Antigua is great in my opinion and I have been to many islands. Definitely do a boat trip -- last year we did Adventure Antigua's Eco-Tour, it was a great day. This year we are doing Wadadli Cats Circumnavigation which I also hear great things about. Also visit Nelson's Dockyard. There is a nice shopping area down by the cruise pier. Tour around and visit all the great beaches. Sorry, can't make recommendations about dining because we stay at an AI (Galley Bay). Be prepared to get lost -- the roads are in decent condition but the road signs are not great!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

EIleen, thanks for the input. I hae been reading other people's comparisons and they seem a bit less enthusaiastic. I have read another couples "Antigua Trip Report" from Jan, 2009 and they seemed to have a great time. I am looking forward to it now..! We will definitely try a boat trip, although do you know if you can actually rent your own small boat or do you always need a captain?
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM

Antigua does not get much support or mention by the regulars on this forum but that doesn't mean it's not an interesting island to visit.

In my opinion, Antigua tends to be rated as a solid "B" or "B-" rather than an "A+"" island for a number of reasons that have to do with what can be described as failure to live up to "marketing hype". For example, the island boasts as having 365 beaches but many of them are small cove like places little more than tham postage stamp in size and a significant number are not easily accessible. While there's nothing wrong with this visitors might feel disappointed since they were expecting to find hundreds of long sugar white beaches similar to those on Anguilla, the T&C's, etc. Also, while the island is hilly it is not lush like St. Lucia, Grenada, Dominica, etc. so here again those visitors hoping to hike through rain forests and seeing waterfalls are disappointed. Antigua has lots of AI's which limits some of the need for "fine dining" options you find on other islands like St. Barth's, St. Martin or Anguilla. That's not to imply you won't find restaurants serving "good food" but rather you might have to travel a bit.

Antigua has its share of visitors who return year after year and it has others who feel they have been there, done that. The thuing is you'll find that on just about every island you visit.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM

We will be there during Easter as well (staying at an all-inclusive resort) and I had been feeling the same as you. We usually go to St.John but are trying something new and different. I think I'm just going to really have to try not to make comparisons and just enjoy it as a different type of island than what I'm used to. Seems like it has a lot of potential to provide great views, snorkeling, and day trips. We're going to try to make it to Barbuda!
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Sbean, we went to St John's last Easter and LOVED it. We will be like you in that we will have to try not to make comparisons, but just enjoy it as well. I still haven't gotten any info on good restaurants to try. Like everyone says, there are many all inclusives, but this shouldn't limit the restaurants by all that much. Restaurant suggestions anyone???
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Judy- I asked the same question a while back on another travel forum site and the suggested restaurants were:
OJ's beach bar and restaurant (relaxed, casual atmosphere)
Gibson's Restaurant (wed-sat.)
Trappas (tues-sat)
Abracadabras was mentioned by a lot of people
Pasta Rite Ya
Waterfront Bar and Grill at Hodges Bay
Havannah's Restaurant and Bar
The Beach- Dickenson Bay
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Antigua was a nice island and we had a good time there. No worries. We had dined at a few of the places mentioned above as well. Trappas, OJ's, Gibsons, and the Red Octopus were all very good.

Have fun and here's our trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...rt-01-2009.cfm