Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Antigua or Barbados? Please help me decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Mary

I am planning a family vacation for my husband and 3 children ages 11-15. We are considering Antigua (Pineapple Beach or Jolly Beach Resort) or Barbados (Turtle Beach Resort or Crystal Cove). We would like to stay at an all-inclusive. Which island is nicest; most lush, mountainous, friendliest, safest. How do the beaches compare for snorkeling, clarity, fish? If anyone has been to both islands (or these resorts) can you give me a comparison. We have been to Punta Cana, loved the beaches...so beautiful, St. Lucia, loved the mountanious lush landscaping, Cancun, got sick....that about says it all, Jamaica, Montego Bay is kinda scary...not real impressed, and Oahu, beautiful but busy!<BR>Looking to have a laid back 10 day vacation with probably 2 days trips, would love to snorkel and bacially just sit in the sun with a drink in my hand!! Woul like a resort that's friendly enough for the kids but not a romper room (Beaches). Any advice would be great!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Marla

The hotels you selected in Antigua will definitely be cheaper than those in Barbados. I wouldn't say either island is lush. Beaches are little nicer in Antigua but Barbados is more interesting.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Christie

There are lots of things to see and do on Antigua, and the snorkeling was very good; the water was clear and the fish were pretty. Both of the resorts you mentioned are popular with families. Be sure and eat at least one meal outside of the all-inclusinve to see what Antigua is really like.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Sandye

Hi:<BR>We've been to Barbados and Antigua, although only on cruise ship stops but did tour the islands. We also have 3 kids, ages 12,12 and 9 so are very serious in looking at things from kids point of view. Please check out the kids activities at both the places you are considering. While both Pineapple Beach and Jolly Beach (have been there on one of the stops) are beautiful, and Turtle Beach is nice (don't know about Crystal Cove at all), we did not see many kids around any of these places. A guy I worked with (early 30's) thought Turtle Beach was for "old-foggies" he thought it was boring. Have you considered Almond Beach Club in Barbados? Hear they have a pretty good kids club as well as a 9 hole golf course that is included if your kids golf. Also, they consider a kid to be up to age 15 so you can still save some $ over the other places that consider kids to be under 12.<BR>As for snorkeling, we had a great time in Cozumel for that but the absolute best is in Grand Cayman. Swimming with the stingrays is awesome!<BR>Please feel free to email me directly if you would like to know more. [email protected]<BR>We have also been to Club Maeva in Manzanillo, Mx, done a Club Med trip, taken a Carnival cruise, done the Disney thing and travelled thru the Cdn Rockies with our kids. Hope this helps!

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:33 AM
Z

Antigua or Barbados ? Barbados is a much more upscale island overal,more scenic ,more things to see and do, very little poverty,less crimes, not scary ,just pure enjoyment... and peoples are difinitely nicer than Antiguans .