Search

T&C without kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T&C without kids

Interested in a second honeymoon to Provo the beginning of May 2004. Have never been. They only thing that has made us avoid this destination is the risk of being overrun by kids. Would welcome any suggestions on a resort where the amount of children would be minimal. Royal West Indies, The Sands, Coral Gardens are properties within our budget. Can anyone provide info on the kid factor at these resorts?
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 05:41 PM

Just back from Provo, where I stayed at the Sands. Loved it, but there were a lot of kids. I would not, however, say that we were "overrun" by kids. While I was there, I was looking for a place for a couple just like you, who wanted to avoid vacationing with other peoples' children. The Grace Bay Club fills the bill (no children over 12 allowed), but it's pricey. The Cottage Suites at Point Grace are less expensive. They allow children, but there were hardly any there, it was SO quiet. Of course, the Club Med Turkoise is an adults only resort. Same gorgeous beach. Grace Bay is really beautiful. The only thing is that that's all there is. The island is not pretty at all, and after the beach, or a little golf or tennis, there's nothing else to do there! I"ve been everywhere, and it;s m opinion that there are many more wonderful places to go for a beach vacation/
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Virgo839 for the reply. Very helpful indeed. Going to take a look at Point Grace. Just wondering, since you have been around, what are some of your favorites? We love the beach, but like to experience the islands in other ways as well such as the waterfalls of Jamaica, the ruins of Mexico, the shopping of St. Thomas. We have considered Curacao, Grenada, Tobago, and Harbor Island but there is so much "buzz" about Provo that I've had it high on my list. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 10:19 AM

virgo839 - we are headed to The Sands on the 12th of this month, please tell me more about what you thought of the resort. Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:41 PM
JMM

Hard to say which would have fewest kids - probably Coral Gardens BUT it is near Beaches - where there will be lots of kids. Since you do not plan to go at a prime "kid time" (Christmas/summer/spring break) - I doubt that any of the places you mentioned would be overrun with kids - although there may be some. The last time we were there we stayed at Le Deck (now called Sibonne) and there were no kids there. I really think except for Beaches - it is not likely any of the resorts would be "overrun" with kids.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JMM for the good info. You liked Sibonne? My travel agent suggested this to us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:02 AM

We stayed at Sibonne when it was Le Deck. It has since been renovated/redecorated and is very nice. The best place to stay is a one bedroom suite with kitchen facilities above the old dive shop. Most of the other rooms are basically motel type rooms. a few have single beds whhich might be a deal breaker.. There are two larger rooms which I believe are at the end over the office that are larger and have a sitting area. Sibonne is shaped in a U so you don't really get an ocean view (except from the suite) but overlook a courtyard of flora. There are three new rooms in what was the old dive shop. Haven't seen them but heard they are nice. They would be my second choice. Pool is small but adequate. The restaurant Bay Bistro is very good. Probably very few kids but that is probably true of most resorts in Early May as school isn't out. if you are into snorkeling Coral Gardens is probably the place to stay because of the reef. We have stayed there our last 9 trips to Provo. Were you considering a suite there or just a room ??
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:12 AM

As wonderful as Provo is, you might consider a stay at Pink Sands on Harbor Island in the Bahamas for your 2nd It was perfect for us http://www.islandoutpost.com/ and
http://www.briland.com/. Stay in
"Glass Windows". The island is just a pretty and the beach will be even more secluded. Drive golf carts, take a boat adventure. Just a suggestion! Have fun!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:26 AM

Gotta Go,

I think you will be fine going in May.
We just came back from our 1st trip two weeks ago and had a great time. My husband and I visited alot of the other properties and with the exception of Beaches... no place was overrun with kids. We stayed at Coral Gardens and would feel confident to recommend CG's
to others. Yes... the beaches crowd come down to snorkel but we typically sat in the chairs on the far end from Beaches. Sands looked like a very nice property too. Sibonne looked really cute and quaint too... but trust Howard - he is extremely knowledgable about the exact type room and view that each property has. The beaches are beautiful ... If you need to be on the go - it might not be your cup of tea... but there are plenty of excursions to go on and I'd bet you are mostly looking for R&R and maybe a 3rd R - romance and I think you'll find all three on T&C. It's great that I can now help others out in their search
Aren't these boards great!!

ML
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 07:49 AM
JMM

Re: Sibonne
As I said it was still Le Deck when we stayed there. Since then it has been renovated. We stayed in 2 different rooms - one had 2 double beds, the other had a queen-sized bed. The first room was at ground level - garden view - the garden is very lush and mature. The 2nd room was upstairs - we could see the ocean and had a great view over the garden. The rooms were adequate but nothing special. We liked the place very much - nice intimate feel to it. You can have breakfast practically on the beach - really nice. However the pool is VERY small - really just somewhere to cool off. The beach in front of the resort is excellent - beautiful and quiet. Personally I think any of Coral Gardens/The Sands/Sibonne (if you do not mind the small pool) would be nice for a 2nd honeymoon.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Some great suggestions here. Thanks all
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Sorry not to reply sooner. I have been out of town on family matters, you know how it is.
I love the British Virgin Islands. I admit, however, that have not spend much time at a resort, but have always been on a sailboat -- snorkeling at a different place every day, dinner at another island. That's the life!
If I were to stay at a resort there, especially for a second honeymoon, I'd pick Biras Creek or Little Dix Bay. They are both a dream come true. There will be fewer children at Biras Creek.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 02:18 PM

You may want to check out villarenaissance.com Brand new property.Very quiet! Not an ai, but one of the best quiet pool areas on Provo with on one on the beach in front.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello all. Well, the vacation time has rolled around...finally. Thought winter would never end. We have earned this one for sure. Leaving next week for T&C. We decided on Royal West Indies mainly due to the great reviews on various sites, the pool, and the fact that we only needed a room. Here we could get an OV room with a little kitchette for some quick breakfasts and snacks. Just enough. Will let you know how we like the resort and the island when we return. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:59 AM

Gottago,
We just returned from RWI and it was incredible! We had an oceanview studio (just like you guys) - try to request room 432...it has the best view. You will love it there.

I can email you some pictures if you want of the view from the room and the grounds!
When we return we will definitely stay at RWI...we loved it!
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Hey Petula, thanks for the tip. Which floor were you on? We like the top floor for the best view. RWI seems to get consistently great reviews, so we are really looking forward to a nice vacation. Any recommendations on restaurants? The Fodor's T&C expert, Howard C., likes Coyaba at Coral Gardens so we are definitely going there. Thanks Howard! Also, did you venture around a bit or take any excursions, etc.? You don't have to send the pictures. Sometimes the anticipation is better than the actual event, you know? Thanks bunches.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Gottago,
We were on the 3rd floor which is the top. Some restaurants we ate at were - 21 North for really good pizza, Bella Luna (Italian), Calico Jacks (it was ok), Tiki Hut for rib and chicken on Wednesday and Mango Reef (dinner was ok).

We rented a car for one day to drive to Turtle Cove and hit the IGA - the roads are horrible but it was fun. Other than that we just stayed around the hotel during the day except for our daily walks along the beautiful beach. We also went shopping at Ports of Call but it is just a short walk from the resort. We pretty much walked to most of the restaurants except for Tiki Hut...bring a flashlight.

You will love RWI and Provo....have fun!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Petula. Will give you the details when we return.
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hello all,
Our long-awaited trip to Provo is now history. We had a wonderful vacation. Loved RWI. Beautiful property. We upgraded to a suite and we were glad we did, we enjoyed the extra room. The room was on the end and was bright and breezy. Everything about it was just perfect. The music from Club Med did not bother us at all. We enjoyed both the pools and had some nice meals in the restaurant there. Absolutely nothing to complain about. Our concern about kids turned out to be a non-issue. It was quiet and peaceful there. No construction noise either. Probably the most beautiful beach/water we have ever seen. Unfortunately, hate to report that we didn't make it to Coyaba for dinner...too busy doing nothing to fit it in! The week just got away from us. Next time for sure. Had dinner at Coco Bisto which we loved. Nice setting, good food. Did the Tiki Hut rib/chicken night and had a good time. Glad we went and would go back.