Anniversary, where should we go??

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:52 PM
Jim

Anniversary, where should we go??

Ok here's the deal. We have a budget of 5 grand or so and want to go somewhere special to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We are in our thirties, like the beach,shopping, and a slower paced vacation. Need your suggestions!
Thanks-JImbo

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:58 PM
Anishka

If you got 5 grand, you're rich !
Go to Bermuda. Been there last September and can't wait to go back.
I've done a lot of research before deciding on Bermuda and have not found one negative thing about the island on this board ! And not one negative thing while there ! It is a special island. Very safe, upscale, civilized, very British, with beautiful white/pink sand beaches and turquoise waters ! Lush greenery. Polite and friendly people. Lots of historical sites to see. In fact the town of St. George has been recently added to UNESCO's World Heritage List !
We have stayed at the ROYAL PALMS Hotel in downtown Hamilton (no beach access..)(www.royalpalms.bm ?) but there are many options to choose from depending on your preferences. If you have specific questions, I will try to help.
Best of luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:05 PM
JIm

I forgot to mention that we would like to go in Jan. or Feb. I don't know when that is on or off season. Bermuda is a great option.Thanks for the info

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:38 AM
Connie

January or February would like be the ideal time to visit Bermuda if you plan to visit the beach. It can be cold during these months, average water and daytime temperatures only in the mid 60's. See http://www.weather.bm/data/2002-01.html for a January weather summary.

If you're looking for a slower paced vacation with great beaches, snorkeling, and scuba diving, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos might fit the bill. We were there in January 2002, had a great trip.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Laurie

Hi..my husband and I went away a couple of years ago to Jamaica, stayed at the Grand Lido Sans Sochi (maybe spelled wrong). Total luxury...from the food to the spa services (which were all included). This was the most romantic vacation, very low key, relaxing and the word we both described as our feelings when we were on our way home was 'content and relaxed'. Definately more $$ but for a special celebration, it's worth every cent.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Anishka

Yes, it will be "cold" in Bermuda in January. Best time to go is spring or fall. Summer is just too humid and winter too cold. How about moving your anniversary ? Just kidding.
What about St. John, USVI? It sounds like it may very well meet all of your requirements. I'll be there in April so I'll be better informed later. Have fun whatever you decide.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Ralph

We had great times on St. Thomas at Point Pleasant twice. It is on the back side of the island near Red Hook so it is away from the hustle and bustle of Charlotte Ahmalie. Rooms are like apartments with full kitchens and separate bedrooms with a wrap around deck overlooking Smith bay. We liked feeling we lived there. There is a wonderful Bar and 5 star restaurant on the premises as well as a causal bar and grill down on the water. There are 3 pools around the grounds amd a workout room. They provide non motorized watersports, and can arrange for anything else. It is adjacent to the Grand Rennaisance which you also have the use of most of their facilities. Chris Sawyer, A terrific dive operation is based there. Best of all, it was under $100/ night when booked through the dive shop. That way you can spend the extra cash on daysails and tours. The only downside I can think of is that this place was "ecologically" built into the hillside, so if you don't like walking the grounds, this isn't the place for you. I have some photos at http://www.sirius-business.com/1scuba.html feel free to email any other questions. Have fun!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:33 AM
Lyn

Definitely not Bermuda. It's too cold in winter. Look into Anguilla for ABSOLUTELY beautiful beaches, wonderful restaurants, very laid back atmosphere. It can be expensive but look at The Frangipani or the Sonesta hotels. Great island!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Anon

We stayed at Pointe Pleaseant Resort as well. We loved Pointe Pleasant Resort itself but sorry, we hated St. Thomas in general. St. Thomas is overrun with poverty, cruise shippers, traffic jams....not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 02:02 PM
Gail

Just my 2 cents worth... Best vacation so far has been Ritz Montego Bay this Jan., but there's really no shopping- Were't really happy at Ritz St. Thomas,(10th anniv.July '01) but had a blast at Frenchman's Reef Marriot in STT. in Feb '01. Doesn't matter which area- both part of same resort. Water shuttle from hotel to shopping which is fun, have breakfast and bloody's at Gladys'Cafe for fortification! If you want to be laid back grab the promenatory lounge chairs ( out where the hot tub used to be before the hurricaine) stretched out over the water at the FR pool- Heaven! Beach is pretty good, w/ watersports. Spend a day on STJ by ferry, or take a day cruise. Happy Anniversary!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:31 PM
nancy

we loved st. john and caneel bay. the restaurants in cruz bay are terrific, you have 7 beaches to chose from and great rooms. if you want to shop you can take the boat (caneel has their own that leaves 5x/day) to st. thomas which is only 30 min away. but if you want to hike, be left alone from cruise ships and feel like you are having the most relaxing vaca... st. john is it. not touristy at all!

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:35 PM
Cassie

We are also planning an anniversary trip for next November. We have it narrowed down to either Ladera on St. Lucia or Cap Jaluca on Anguilla. Our research also led us to Peter Island Resort and Nisbet Plantation on Nevis. You may want to add these choices to your research list. Please post back later and let us know which island "won!"