Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving in 52 days for a Caribbean Cruise to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. This is what I have decided on so far, can anybody tell me if I am making the right choices for the islands!?

St. Kitts - Zip Line
Antigua - Snorkel
St. Lucia - Beach Break at Reduit Beach
Barbados - Harrison Caves

Are the islands & the activities a good match? I really don't want to get them wrong & disappoint my husband. I think I am going crazy!
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 04:23 PM

The best way not to disappoint your husband would be to have him participate in the process. At the minimum, to be able to say what type of activity would interest him. Plus working together is a lot of the fun of the planning process.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 05:06 PM

It's difficult to answer your questions without knowing what other excursion choices you are considering on those islands?

Zip lining is OK on St. Kitts but better on St. Lucia.

None of those islands have great snorkeling - Antigua snorkeling is just OK - two "best" places (and the term "best" is relative) are accessible only by boat. Where were you planning to snorkel? Walk-in snorkeling from Antigua's beaches is almost non-existent.

Réduit Beach can be very crowd on cruise ship days.

Harrison's Cave tour consistently gets good reviews but only takes about 40 minutes. What do you have planned for the rest of the day?
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

The snorkeling was going to be at Paradise Reef.

The other beach excursions we were considering were Frigate Bay @ St. Kitts, or Dickenson at Antigua.

As for Barbados, the excursion to Harrison Caves takes us by 4 x 4 vehicles to the caves then through Joe's River Forest onto the East Coast in Bathsheba. Then by the Sandy Lane Hotel back to port. Once we got back we thought we would try some local cuisine at some little bar?

We also had a snorkel & zip picked out for St. Lucia, but they both don't begin til 12:30 and are 4 hours long. Our dinner is at 6:00 and we didn't want to be that rushed cause we also wanted to look around each island a little.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 05:22 AM

Paradise Reef has decent but not great snorkeling.

Frigate Bay, St. Kitts is nice with 6 or 8 different Beach Bars - it will have it's fair share of your fellow cruise ship passengers.

Dickenson Bay on antigua is a nicer beach compared to Frigate Bay but it's a favorite among cruise ship passengers and other tourists so expect to see lots of other people there.

FYI - The size of the crowds on any of the beaches you are considering will depend on how many cruise ships are in port the same as you. In any case, you won't be alone!
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Crowds are relative-- you're on a cruise! ;-)

Skip snorkel, no good. In Antigua I'd go to Darkwood Beach, prettiest

Don't skip zip lining, it will be your favorite excursion! Even if rushed for dinner, oh well. (or zip line in St. Lucia)

Barbados, forget caves. Go to Bottom Bay, it's stunning! Make sure to bring food. See if ship offers a trip there. (no facilities)

Can't help with St. kitts, haven't been. But if I did, I'd see if ship offers trip to Nevis for the day.