Anguilla (KU) or Negril (IDLE AWHILE)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our next vacation in March or April and trying to decide between Idle Awhile in Negril, Jamaica or Ku in Anguilla. We are not party people and would like to avoid topless/nude beaches (We've never been to either island so I'm not sure how common they are). Both hotels have the style and amneties we both prefer. We would just like good scuba diving, dining options, and an absolutely gorgeous beach. We're flying from Tampa, so Jamaica is probably a cheaper flight option, but Anguilla looks a lot less congested. But I also like the "funky/chic vibe" at IA. Is there any differance in the sand or water color? Is a car rental a must for a stay in Anguilla (It looks to be that way in Negril)?
Any help in distinquishing the differances/pros/cons would be great...Thanks!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM

We've been to Anguilla 7 times and have stayed at the place you mentioned...every time...it was recently taken over by Cap Jaluca and renamed...the hotel sits right on one of the most spectacular beaches in the Caribbean..clear water with fabulous snorkling right off the beach...the island is full of wonderful restaurants and a completely untouristy place...very expensive, but good food..you must have a rental car...everything is secluded, so no strip malls, etc...so every place is a destination...great french bakery tucked away and 5 star food where you can dine casually...just be ready for the steep prices...$150 per dinner is not uncommon (for two)...but a real treat of a place
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I am leaning towards Anguilla, although I know it'll be more expensive...Do you know what the name of the bakery is? When you go do you fly directly into Anguilla or to St Martin and take the ferry?
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM

We stayed at Idle Awhile and loved it. We're not party people either!

It's nice to be able to walk along the beach to the restaurants. We visited so many good restaurants within easy reach of the hotel. It really is on the best location the on the beach.

I haven't visited Anguilla but the sea in Negril was clear and the sand was white - The website doesn't do it justice.

We didn't hire a car since we were only there for 5 days before going to The Jamaica Inn and spent most of the time on the beach, there are lots of restaurants within easy reach or cheap cab rides so hiring a car didn't seem right.

If we went back we would hire a car since DH has driven in France, Italy, Croatia and most other European counrties - I've only driven in the UK and US and wouldn't be comfortable driving in Jamaica

Try 'googling' Clives transport - he was very good!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:41 AM

As far as beaches go, any in Anguilla blow away Negril.
Anguilla is very quiet, the sand is blinding white, water is blinding turqouise.
Negril is very pretty, the water and sand not quite what it is in Anguilla. There is a lot more action in Negril, and vendors, and water activities.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both-Alya I will google Clives and see what I come up with!