American Express Platnum Members

Apr 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

American Express Platnum Members

I was considering getting an Amex Platinum card for the FF miles, but I was wondering if you have a lot of problems with places that don't take Amex? I know most places take Visa, MC and Discover but before I sign up and have the annual fee and can't get anyone to take the card I wanted some input on acceptance.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Nancy
Apr 1st, 2004, 05:48 PM

I've used my AmEx Platinum extensively for travel for many years. It's the rare occasion that I find I can't use it, but then those situations don't register with me much since I always have a Visa as well.
The fee for the card looks steep, but I've save so much money that keeping it is a no-brainer for me. For instance, international first class airfare is 2-for-1 in many cases. I've saved over $5000 PER TRIP in some cases, just in airfare.
And when you get a free suite upgrade at high end hotels, that can easily be worth hundreds of dollars per stay.
The platinum concierge has also been able to get me a table at fully booked popular restaurants on several occasions.
It depends on how you travel. For most people it's probably not a worthwhile investment. For me it has provided great savings and perks.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:47 AM

I agree. The Amex Platinum is worth the fee if you do traveling and book with their Platinum Travel. At cooperating hotels and resorts there are bonuses, such as free breakfast for two, (a significant savings on a week's stay), or a $50 gift certificate, or $100 Spa usage. You are entitled to an automatic up-grade, if one is available.

In addition, you receive double points for almost everything, so that points add-up in a hurry. Last year I had extensive roofing work done through Home Depot and paid with my Platinum card. The result was enough points for 2 first class tickets to the Caribbean.

Most places do accept Amex, but in my home area, my veterinarian, electrician, some nurseries most grocery stores do not take Amex. I then use my Mariott Visa card and earn rewards for their hotel, but they may also be applied to air. They offer a significant sign-up bonus and the first year is fee free. After that the fee is $35/year. Since buying additional points is $10/thousand, and 1 point is earned for each dollar charged, and if you charge $3500 a year, those points earned will pay for the fee. In addition using this card at Marriott will earn 3 points for each dollar charged in additon to the 10 points Marriott gives if you are enrolled in their awards program. A$1000 stay will earn 13,000 points. It's amazing how fast these accumulate if you 'play the game' right.

Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
Jed

"In addition, you receive double points for almost everything, so that points add-up in a hurry. Last year I had extensive roofing work done through Home Depot"

Is this true? I had a platinum card, and did not receive double points for most purchases. Here is fom the Amex site:

"Earn double Membership Rewards points for your purchases at stand-alone supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, the U.S. Postal Service, and for wireless phone bill payments."

No mention of usual stores.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:03 AM

"Earn double points for everyday purchases when you use your Platinum Card at supermarkets, drug stores, gas stations, the U.S. postal service, and to pay your wireless phone bill. Plus, you'll continue to earn virtually one point for every dollar charged to your Card on other purchases".
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM

After you renew for the second year you also get two f"free" air tickets on Delta

I have never heard about being upgraded to a suite ect... how is this done?

thanks

Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:44 PM

After you renew for the second year you also get two "free" air tickets on Delta

I have never heard about being upgraded to a suite ect... how is this done?

thanks

Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:19 PM

Carib_Ruby,
Are you sure the free Delta ticket offer is for the Amex Platinum charge card? Or are you referring to the Amex Delta Skymiles Platinum credit card?
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM

Yep Patty you are right thanks
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:19 PM

I did receive double points for Home Depot and was told that they are given for Home Improvement Centers. That was last year and assume it is the same for this year. Upgrades are only given at cooperationg hotels, all which are premium. They are given if available and the reservation must be made through Platinum Travel.

Search this Thread