Mileage Reward thru Credit card

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:16 PM
miles

Mileage Reward thru Credit card

Hello:
Just need to know how did you make to get a free RT ticket thru mileage program? how long did it take for you to accummulate the total miles in exchange for one RT ticket to Europe?
I just got my Capital One Miles One card - is there a clever way of earning points aside from using it for grocery, gas and misc. purchase?
Thank you.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Duke

I own my own business and use my card to pay business expenses with. I do about $25k per month so earn about 1 ticket per month. If you can do that you want a card that allows unlimited miles each year. Most only allow 60000 miles in a calendar year. (Read the fine print). I have an American Visa that allows unlimited miles earned.

When dining out with friends have them pay their portion to you and you put the bill on your card.

Set up as many of your home accounts to go directly to your credit card. I have many bills that do this automatically...cell phone, newspaper, etc.

The main trick is to pay your card off 100% each month. Otherwise the interest they nail you with will be far more than any free ticket.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Ali

I just got my AMEX Skymiles card- I just posed the same ? recently if you do a search using "skymiles." I am putting EVERYTHING on my card. All the stuff that I normally pay cash for, as well as bills. I have found so far that I can charge my cell phone bill, long distance bill, and cable. I still have to look into my local phone bill. Also, I am going to request a card for a significant other so they can do the same & I will get the miles as well. Hopefully I will get a ticket in 12-18 months.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:31 PM
xxx

Use it to pay plumbers, doctors, college tuition, every expense you possibly can. For restaurants and theater tickets, charge for the whole group and have your friends reimburse you in cash. But if you have expenses of only $1000/month and pay an annual fee of $30 for the card, it will take you four years to amass the 50,000 points for a European trip and you will have paid $120 for it. And if you should carry a balance, the interest will add up so fast that you could have bought tickets sooner than you could earn the "free" ticket.
I earn about 30,000 miles a year, with half of that from ordinary personal expenditures and half from business travel that my employer reimburses for.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Norm

If you a mere mortal consumer, it is difficult to earn one RT ticket to europe a year, not to mention business class for two. You need to use credit card on a good stream of money, such as your own business as Duke mentioned. If you work for someonelse, you can use it to pay for the business trips, but your company must be good at reimbursing you quickly.
Other ways include paying for the college or playing long distance carrier switch games.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:26 PM
BA

xxx
$120 for a rt to Europe still looks a good deal to me!
Has anyone managed to pay their maortgage through their card?