Almond Beach or Bougainvilla

Oct 25th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Almond Beach or Bougainvilla

Need help choosing between Almond Beach Village or Bougainvilla. I know one is an AL but, that doesn't matter. Anyone been to either of these recently?
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:58 AM

I stayed at the Almond Beach Spa last January. I made 2 trips to the Village while I was there, the Village was infested with children. If you aren't going with children, I would suggest the Spa, it's adults only.
Nov 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM

I stayed at Bougainvilla last January. We were harassed on the beach incessantly by locals - both trying to sell things and trying to pick us up. Security just stood there. It was like pulling teeth to get him to run them off. They were even bothering couples and men sitting alone on the beach. And they would come right up to your chair. We had to yell 'go away' to one before he left muttering obsenities at us.

That along with the daily rain and ants in our room ruined our vacation. We complained to the manager and she was nice but basically said there's nothing she can do bc so many single women come there wanting to be picked up on the beach.

I've been to 11 islands and Barbados is my least favorite. There are too many others that are far prettier (both the beaches and main shopping area) and closer to home. Snorkeling was lousy too. Other than the ants though our room was nice though we couldn't see the ocean - too many plants/trees blocking the view.
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:11 AM

We stayed at Bougainvilla 4 years ago. In retospect, We were glad we did not do an AI in Barbados..the quality of the restaurants was outstanding.If you need some restaurant recomendations, let me know. The Bougainvilla was a good choice,very nice room, very nice beach..good for boogy boarding. In fact, we preferred the south coast beaches over the west coast ones, which are very calm. We got breakfast included with the room rate, and then ate out every night. I would not recomend eating dinner at the hotel...the food is just okay(but is fine for breakfast) One of the things we liked about Barbados was the ability to drive around (we rented a car for 5 days),We felt completely safe, and we drove all over the Island, even at night. A word about the vendors...a few were there,however they did not seem to bother anybody. They set up their little booth and wait for customers to come to them. If you were approached, we just said "not interested" and they would leave you alone. If were ever go back to Barbados, we would stay at Bougainvilla again. We chose some great side trips..again, I would be happy to recomend them in detail.
Nov 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Oh yes I forgot, that's the other thing I found disappointing. The beach itself was good but I didnt like the wavy water bc I can get that here on the east coast of the US. I like very calm lake-like caribbean oceans.

Interesting about the vendors - though calling them that is a stretch since most weren't selling anything. I guess it's gotten worse since you were there?