Allegro Turks and Caicos

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Kelly

Allegro Turks and Caicos

My fiance and I will be going on our honeymoon in July 2002. We are looking into the Allegro in Turks and Caicos. Can anyone give me a reason not to choose this resort? I like the idea of all-inclusive and not having to worry about how much food is going to cost. We have never been to the Caribean and are wondering if we are choosing the right island. We are looking for a relaxing vacation and are not really into nightlife. We want beautiful beaches, which I've learned you can definitely find there. Thanks.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Eileen

Well, I'll try to help by giving my perspective. We were on Provo last April and here's the Caribbean/Mexico places I have been -- Aruba, Acapulco, Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Bahamas, Barbados, St. Thomas, St. John, St. Lucia, St. Maarten and Antigua. A few of these were cruise stops so I didn't get the full perspective but most places I stayed a week. We stayed at Point Grace on Provo which is very upscale and if it is in your price range I would highly recommend it for a honeymoon. The Pros of Provo -- 1) the most gorgeous beach and water I have ever seen, you can walk for miles on it 2) not crowded and not too "touristy"
3) Easy to get to from US 4) nice selection of restaurants. The Cons (depending on your perspectivie) 1) other than the water and beach, not an attractive island, to put it kindly. Very dry, scrubby, built on limestone. So if you want lush and tropical, this is not the place for you. Yes, there are palm trees and foliage around the resorts but all the palm trees were imported as well as most of the foliage. 2) There is very little nightlife but it sounds like that might not bother you. Not much to do but beach it, golf, take boat excursions. 3) Don't expect much shopping.
Did we have a good time and would we go back -- yes, because we are beach people and the beach is terrific, we loved the peace and quiet (we left our two children at home) and we loved Point Grace. I also explored most of the other properties on Provo. If you are set on all-inclusive on Provo, then the Allegro is probably your best choice. However, expect lots of families, basic accomodations and basic food. Personally, I would never go all-inclusive, we like trying different restaurants. I do not think the Allegro is the best choice for a honeymoon either, if money is an issue, you might be happier at The Sands, Ocean Club or any of the condo resorts located on the very same beach. You will have nicer accommodations and probably more peace and quiet. And you will have a kitchen, so you could eat breakfast and lunch in and go out to dinner. Well, I am getting very long here, feel free to e-mail me any more questions.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Stephen Schulz

Kelly: For some reviews of this property, go to http://turks.wheretostay.com/property/754-reviews.html . Hope this helps;
Stephen Schulz

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:29 AM
JMM

Like the previous poster, we have been all over the caribbean. Provo is still our favorite island. It has the best beach,best right off the shore snorkeling, is very safe. Cons - not much in the way of scenery - although if you rent a 4 wheel drive and go out to Malcom Roads - there are some pretty coves if you walk south from the end of the road and chances are you will have them all to yourself. I also agree with the previous poster about the Allegro - it is OK but if money is not a major issue, I think The Sands would be a much nicer place to stay. Provo has a number of good (but expensive) restaurants.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Lori

Eileen,
What properties did you like in Provo other than Point Grace?

Thanks!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:10 AM
eileen

The Sands, Ocean Club West and Coral Gardens all looked nice. I was not impressed with Grace Bay Club (although the restaurant was good) or Beaches (I am sure all the Beaches fans will protest but I would never stay there, it's just not worth the price, in my opinion).

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 04:27 PM
brandon

HOW OLD IS THE DRINKING AGE....I WANT TO GET HAMMERED

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 06:24 PM
Larry

In in some ways agree with Eileen...except...I think If you are going to eat in for lunch and dinner then stay at the Allegro. You can have them cook for your breakfast, lunch and dinner....And get all your drinks free. Should you decide at any point to go out for dinner - do it! However, the food at the IGA is very expensive too. For the difference in the price of the Allegro as compared to the Point Grace/(or not all-inclusive) will more than pay for itself should you decide to go for a night out several times.
But I would bet you don't go out once you see the what they offer for dinner.
And, she is right, the beach definately is the same beach.