Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

All this talk about Sandals....I'm getting nervous!

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Lisa

Were getting married in December at the Royal Bahamian in the Bahamas. However, I've been reading alot negative things about Sandals. This is my "dream wedding" and now I'm thinking about cancelling!

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Fodor

What other options did you consider, Lisa?
What's your budget?
Why are you limited to RB?
What research did you do before selecting it?

Jun 13th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Lisa

I've did alot of researching before I picked the Bahamas.

Because this is my "dream wedding", there's not really a budget. I don't want to go overboard either. I picked Bahamas because it's close, family can attend, the water/beach is what I'm looking for (as far as color). The resort was rated the "best".

I've looked into St. Lucia, Antigua and Jamaica. Out of all these, I've heard that the Bahamas was the nicest, upscale and clean. I've been researching for about 5 months before I've made my decision.

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
x

You have plenty of time to reschedule, Lisa. Don't panic yet.

If you did you research, you definitely know the pros and cons of Sandals.

Pros--weddings organized for you, all-inclusive

Cons--way overpriced, poor service, horrible food, tacky

I like the Bahamas, but have to tell you that the beaches there do not compare in beauty to other islands in the Caribbean. Water is not clear, and beaches are average.

If you are looking for somewhere near the US but with much nicer beaches, consider Turks and Caicos. All the resorts there are very nice, with the exception of Beaches resort which is loud and congested and has the worst stretch of beach.

As far as RB being "the best"--it may be the best *Sandals*, but that is not saying much. For that price, you can stay at a much nicer, much classier resort.

FYI I have stayed at a Sandals (not RB) and it was by far the worst trip I have had in the Caribbean. I felt completely ripped off. There are many other all-inclusives that are much nicer.

My recommendation would be for you to find an objective travel agent (not one with "Sandals" signs in the window).

Good luck!

Jun 13th, 2002, 08:27 AM
anon

Lisa: At least you can cancel without penalty since it's still early (or at least you should be able to). I agree that you should go somewhere else. Why take the chance. My biggest concern wouldn't be me, but my family and friends. I'd hate for them to feel they like they got ripped off or that they didn't have a wonderful trip.

Have you considered Mexico (Playa Del Carmen area). It's a quick plane trip, and some of the AI resorts are gorgeous at a fraction of the price as Sandals. There are some other great AI's in Jamaica as well, still a close destination.

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Nancy

Hi Lisa,
I agree with both x and anon. They had good suggestions. Playa del Carmen is funky and laid back, and there's a lot to do all up and down the Mayan Riviera coast. It's also easy to get into Cancun from most US cities. I really love Turks and Caicos, but it's going to probably be quite a bit more expensive. It can also be cool there in December, but not nearly as likely as the Bahamas.
Another option might be one of the Out Islands in the Bahamas. I don't stay AI though, so I can't recommend a place...
Also something to consider, it can be quite chilly in the Bahamas in December. We were there once over Thanksgiving, and it was in the 60s during the day.
Good luck, and relax, you have plenty of time to reschedule!

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:34 AM
tangirl

take a llok at what I wrote on the post about sandals. We stayed there in Sept, came home Sept 10th, the night before 911. We did not care fpr the place. It is very run down and the staff was very rude. If you can get out of it I would!!
I agree about Cancun, better value and much better resorts. I think Playa del carmen or the "mayan rivera" would have much more to offer you and your guests. You would also save a lot of money.
The english pub had torn wall paper every where, the whole resort was filthy. They do not have an outdoor bar that you can go in the evenings, which is a real bummer. The evening entertainment was pathetic. We met a lot of fun couples to hang with but that is not worth paying all of that money for.

Jun 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Marla

I would recommend Round Hill Hotel and Villas, Montego Bay Jamaica--luxury property--celebrities often stay there. Beautiful setting and custom weddings are coordinated.
The other property that would be very nice would be Blue Waters in Antigua--another luxury hotel-A-I-also coordinates weddings.
You can read information using Google and typing our resort + island.
Air Jamaica flies directly to Montego and Continental A/L flies to Antigua--depending upon your gateway.

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Lisa

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to sitdown with John tonight and discuss with him...Lisa

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:27 AM
Rob

Regarding temperatures in the Bahamas (Nassau) in mid-December: the average daily low is 65, with highs in the mid-70's.
I'm no big fan of Cancun (haven't been to Playa del Carmen), but it is warmer, with mid-December average daily high of 82.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:19 AM
x

Lisa,

You may want to try Maui. There seem to be quite a few weddings there, and on our most recent trip, we met a couple from Boston who had just gotten married. When we mentioned the distance that they had traveled, they shocked us by telling us that when they crunched the numbers, it was cheaper to get married in Maui than the Caribbean. They rented a private house for a day and had the ceremony and reception there.

Jun 13th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Bud

I toured the Sandals in the Bahamas last August and found it to be very overpriced. Did not like Nassau at all. Have seen many other postings where people have dissed Sandals (overpriced, poor service, lousy food). Usually, where there is smoke there is fire. Don't chance your dream wedding, cancel now.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Marla

"Travelers Reviews" concerning resorts in the Caribbean at "Where2Stay.com". A review of a recent wedding at Blue Waters, Antigua is online at this site.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Island Girl

Lisa: If Nassau appealed to you because of its relative proximity, you can consider other options. One is Compass Point, the other is Ocean Club on Paradise Island.

Jun 13th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Melissa

I think the lot of you are nuts!!!! Sandals Royal Bahimian was ranked #1 spa in Caribbean. I think she would have a wonderful time and wedding there.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Rita

Melissa,
You're nuts. Sandals is run-down and not considered a four or five star resort.
Lisa,
Please look at Turks and Caicos, Virgin Gorda, Playa del Carmen, Harbour Island, Tortola, and even Puerto Rico.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:21 PM
a Travel Professional

I think my main concern is the weather in Nassau in December.
It was at Sandals Royal Bahamian several years ago in December and it was only about 60 degrees.
There is a Caribbean Sale starting this Sunday. Check any of the 3 Grand Lido Resort or any of the 3 Couples Resorts.
I definately Prefer them to Sandals.
Beaches Royal Plantation (a Sandals Property) is also a good choice (much more upscale than other Sandals or Beaches.
Playa del Carmen is also a Great Option.
Contact a Travel Agent (find one who knows the Super Clubs, Couples and Mayan Riviera Resorts).

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Rand

Melissa, Conde Nast Traveler's readers ranked the Royal Bahamian at the lower end of the Gold List.
In fact, its rating was equivalent to that of the Westin in San Antonio (just to give an idea) and lower than most every hotel and resort in the US.
Standards are lower in the Caribbean relative to the US.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:48 PM
xxx

Just a reply to Island Girl who suggested Compass Point or the Ocean Club. Be aware that that is like comparing cubic zirconias to diamonds, and in that order. I am familiar with both those properties.

Jun 14th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Anon.

While I believe Travel Professional gives some great advice, I am amazed at how often she/he capitalizes words that shouldn't be. LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO