Alas, Le Meridien (SXM) is closed

Old May 10th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alas, Le Meridien (SXM) is closed

Méridien hotel chain to pull out of St. Martin

MARIGOT--The Méridien hotel chain, whose 233-room flagship hotel is located at the Anse Marcel resort, is withdrawing from St. Martin as of May 1, it was announced yesterday. Reasons for the withdrawal were not stated, but employees and management have already been informed.

According to general manager Jacques Guillaumot, Méridien decided not to renew its management contract with L’ Habitation Lonvilliers which expires April 30.

The hotel opened in 1986 and has been managed by Méridien since 1992. Guillaumot is reportedly expected to leave the island.

Yesterday’s news comes one year to the day after the 144-room Méridien-Le Domaine closed after severing its ties with Méridien. However, this hotel is expected to reopen on December 17.

A statement issued by Méridien’s Sales and Marketing Director for the Caribbean, Samantha Spurgeon, said: “We hereby inform you that Le Méridien St. Martin, formerly known as Le Méridien L’Habitation, will no longer be part of the Méridien chain as of May 1, 2005. As a result, Le Méridien can no longer guarantee reservations after May 1.”

Our first stay at the Meridien - Le Domaine was in November 1994. We have thoroughly enjoyed our many visits there and will miss it. It's a beautiful location....hopefully new owners will do it justice.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM

It is a shame. However, I am sure another company will take over and hopefully do a great job. Hotels are re-flagged all the time.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

It was definitely time for some sprucing up....but we thoroughly enjoyed the feel and flavor of Le Meridien. It just wouldn't be the same reflagged as Marriott Anse Marcel (no offense to Marriott....)
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

My clients just returned from their honeymoon. They stayed at Cap Jaluca for one week and then Le Meridien for the second week.

Thoroughly loved Cap Jaluca, but they hated Le Meridien. They left after the second night and now are requesting a refund!!

I hope the new company does renovations...
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

We have not stayed there since 2001 (exploring other islands but I guess I can understand some of the negative comments we have been hearing. They closed the "Le Domaine" section a year ago (which was the nicer section and where we always stayed), and there have been quite a few negative comments about customer service (which was NEVER a problem).

The writing was probably on the wall, so the establishment and the service suffered. Too bad.

But now I need to start planning my next trip. I guess I shall keep exploring. Oh, where to go......
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Highly recommend St. Kitts & Nevis!
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

I've been thinking about both of those places. Do you prefer one over the other? Also, what accommodations would you recommend? Is one easier to get to than the other (traveling from Northeast US)?

We prefer a full service, boutique-type property, with direct beach access (preferably ocean front accommodations). No AI....so an island that has good restaurants. Your suggestions are welcome.....Thanks Liz.
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Liz - I recommend Nevis over St Kitts, its smaller than St Kitts, less busy. There is a great hotel on the beach - Nisbet Plantation. www.nevisplantation.com It is very nice.
Look at www.nevis1.com - that is a un-bias site with all the nevis hotels on it.

I am actually headed to Nevis on Saturday for 2 weeks. I have family who moved there from the US. Nevis is more charming and friendly than St Kitts. It is lush and beautiful. There is a lot to do and see. Some great restaurants.

I have been to almost every island and Nevis is one of my favorites.

It is very easy to get to from the US. American Eagle flies direct from San Juan to Nevis just like it does to most other islands. I am not sure what city you are flying out of, but you if you can fly non-stop to San Juan, its just a short direct flight from there. You can also take the ferry from St Kitts if you find a better flight there. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have been to Nevis and St Kitts many many times.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MIM04. I did take a quick pick at the Nisbet Plantation....and it looks lovely. One drawback....it does not have televisions in the rooms. I know, I know.....my husband and I sound like complete philistines, but we do require a television in our room on vacation. I don't need a phone, but AC and TV are musts. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I appreciate the feedback.

Coincidently, we are leaving tomorrow for an early Spring trip to Maine....but like many others, I am busily starting to research the next trip. Thanks in advance.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:40 AM

The Four Seasons resort would fit everything you are looking for. Its about the size the size of le meridien in SXM its 196 rooms. It has all of the amenities, AC, TV, etc. you would find in a luxury resort. Its a beautiful property. And its right on the beach.

There are quiet a few plantation inns, but some do not have AC as they are so old. The Hermitage has the oldest building in the Caribbean.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely look at the Four Seasons. In addition, are there any of the plantation sites that you would recommend? (I can always research the amenities, one I have an idea what places come highly recommended.)
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Montpelier Plantation - rated as one of the best hotels in the Caribbean, its wonderful. The Hermitage is great too - fantastic food.

If you stay at FS make sure you venture out to some of the restaurants for dinner at the other inns. Montpelier and Hermitage are some of the best. Hermitage does a wonderful Sunday breakfast. I am headed there this Sunday for breakfast as a matter of fact.

Enjoy your Maine trip! I know what you mean about always planning the next trip. I am only caught up until Thanksgiving when we head to St Barths. Have not gotten any farther than that! lol
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

My husband is very interested in St. Barth's, so I need to look into that one as well. So many choices, too little time. As always, I look forward to recommendations from other fodorites. It is a key part of my travel planning.

The weather for Maine, so far, is looking good....
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Liz - If you like French St Martin, you will LOVE St Barths. It is more expensive than other islands, but well worth it ,IMO. I have been traveling to the Caribbean for more than 28 years and St Barths is always at the top of my list. It is wonderful. I really cannot saying anything negative about it. (except maybe being expensive)

There are many hotels there right on the beach Eden Rock and Guanahani are 2 of my favorites. If you want something less expensive then the Tropical Hotel is nice or Emeraude Plague. Most of the accommodations on St Barths are villas. The villas are fantastic. We rented one for 2 weeks in November this year for Thanksgiving.

Honestly, you cannot go wrong in St Barths.
Old May 11th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I am sure I will have plenty of more questions.....
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:50 PM

Le Meridien Hotel group was purchased by Starwood just recently. I suspect that Starwood is doing some major restructuring of the properties in the Le Meridien chain.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:08 PM

Has anyone stayed at the resort since it was changed from Le Meridien? How's the service now?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

The St. Martin Meridien is not going to reopen until December 2005. It just closed May 1st.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:21 PM

Just a few remarks about Nevis and Nisbet Plantation: we stayed there years ago and it was great. A real island hotel with flair and style and the friendliest staff I have ever encountered anywhere. If you're going to Nevis, you should stay there rather han at the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons is a chain, sure it's pretty but you could be staying anywhere in the world - if you don't leave your room you won't even notice you're on Nevis...
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I just wanted to clarify something about the former Le Meridien in St. Martin. I spoke with the manager this morning, and the resort did not close on May 1; it will be closing from early in August through early October, and they plan to do some renovations during that period. However, my experience with big management changes is that needed renovations often do lead to closings and renovations, so if you are considering the hotel, do call ahead. The regular phone number and fax listed on our Web site still work, but there isn't a toll-free number yet or a web site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -