Affordable Honeymoon Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2017, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am looking for advice on where to go for my honeymoon that I plan on taking next May 2018. We would like to go somewhere in the Caribbean but are overwhelmed by all of the choices! Our budget is around $4k-5k including airfare. I've briefly visited St. Lucia on a cruise before and absolutely loved the scenery, so I have started looking there, but things seem to get pricey. Ideally, we are looking for an all inclusive resort with the following:
-A great beach (blue water and white sand if possible but not the biggest deal!)
-Great excursions (zip lining, water sports, maybe snorkeling, love the idea of visiting a volcano like in St. Lucia, etc.)
-Not too large of a resort
-Maybe adult-only if possible
-Safe
-My fiance does not want to go to Mexico (for reasons beyond me!)
-And of course, affordable!
I appreciate any and all advice as I am just starting my search! Thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:56 AM

St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Dominica, and Grenada are some of the few islands that offer both zip lining and volcanos. The drawback is snorkeling is not a strong suit on those islands. FYI - as a general rule, the better snorkeling can be found around the non-volcanic islands so you'll have to decide which is more important to you, the volcano or the snorkeling.

Where are you flying from? That will have a bearing on cost of airfare and how much you have left of your budget for accommodations.

Also, please clarify if your $4k to $5k budget is just for airfare and accommodations or if also includes food and activities. I assume that you are planning a 1 week trip, is that right?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:35 AM

Too bad your fiance has a problem with Mexico, as the AI resorts in the Riviera Maya have everything you are looking for minus the volcano. If you want white sand and blue water, St Lucia is not the place.

I'm always amazed so many are so mis-informed about Mexico. I consider it as safe or safer than many Caribbean islands. If the fiance refuses Mexico, I'd focus your efforts on AIs in Jamaica or the DR.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Jamaica?

too bad about Mexico because that's my best suggestion. just returned from two weeks in Puerto Vallarta (my 30th trip or so).
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:40 PM

There are no volcanos in the Dominican Republic.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:57 PM

All Inclusive Resort + affordable + Caribbean island = Dominican Republic or Jamaica.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

My budget of 4000-5000 would ideally include everything for ideally 6 nights. We are unfortunately not in the best location as far as flying goes- we are in Charleston, SC (very small airport). My fiance is saying no to Mexico because he's concerned about safety going off resort but I have heard many good things, so I may have some convincing to do. Anyone hear anything about playa del carmen? As far as proximity to excursions and cost? I had planned on looking into the Riviera Maya as well after some more talking with my fiance. How is safety in Jamaica? I've heard mixed things about that.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 05:29 AM

I bet the crime rates in Charleston SC are worse than they are in the Riviera Maya. I feel safer going off the resort in the Riviera Maya then I do in almost any major US city.

That budget would (EASILY) get you an entire week at an upscale resort. There are many choices of AI resorts that fit almost everything you are looking for (minus the volcano).

You need to understand that you can find crime on every single island in the Caribbean. Jamiaca, Dominican....all have places to avoid, but are enjoyed by millions of tourists every year.

Do some homework. Not choosing Mexico based on false stories, fact, or rumors is a mistake that many make. I used to have the same fear of Mexico until I went and saw how beautiful and safe it really is.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

@bassguy66 I definitely agree. Sounds like Mexico may be our best choice (and best value). Any recommendations for specific resorts (ideally near lots of excursions?) Thanks so much!
Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:47 AM

Secrets Maroma. AI, Beautiful beach, excellent service, good food, activities.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Peninsula.html
Old May 23rd, 2017, 09:00 AM

I feel safer in Mexico than Jamaica but I have no idea if statistics back that up.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:19 AM

mnag's suggestion of Secrets Maroma is an excellent one. Secrets also has a property in Akumal, which is about an hour south of Cancun. It's a sleepy little town that has (some) of the best snorkeling right there in Akumal Bay. I stayed at a resort called Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort which is next door to the Secrets. Secrets will be a little more upscale, but the prices will reflect that. You have a healthy budget for Mexican all inclusives, so I would read a lot of reviews, and look at the many options. Ask lot's of questions like you are doing....and you will zero in on the resort that fits exactly what YOU want.
Old May 24th, 2017, 06:51 AM

I keep reading this headline "Affordable Honeymoon Help" and thinking, well, our help here is free. LOL