Reload this Page >

Affordable Caribbean destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:35 PM
james

What Caribbean destinations are the most affordable? I am planning a honeymoon in early fall, but don't have a huge budget-$3,000-$4,000 or less. I don't want to sacrifice safety or gorgeous beaches. Is there an economical time to go? Also, which islands should I avoid due to costliness?

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Denise

I think you should be able to do most any island on that budget. Even Aruba. If you're talking a week and not two. Cayman Islands might not be in that budget. <BR><BR>St. Maarten is a nice one, but pretty busy seeing all the different little towns and beaches.<BR><BR>Aruba would be more relaxing. You should be able to stay at one of the low rise hotels and eat out at nice restaurants at night. May want to pick up a few things for breakfast and snacks at the grocery store which is close by. Just don't drink much. It is very costly at bars and restauraunts. See if the place you stay has a refriderator and buy some beer and pop or whatever at the store.<BR><BR>Good luck. Congratulations!!!<BR><BR>Denise

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Kate

St. Maarten is expensive and overcrowded.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Bill

Anguilla,BWI is the place.My daughter was married there last summer in July and honeymooned at Cap Jaluca one of the most beautiful hotels in the caribbean. Check it out .June,July and August is the off season but it's great.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:32 PM
AMG

Bonaire would be nice too. Very safe and great beaches.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:45 PM
amsta06

With your budget, most islands would fit the bill. For safety, laid back atmosphere, un-crowded beaches- my pick would be Turks & Caicos. The Caymans are also a good pick as well as St. John. If you go during off season, it's very affordable. I booked The Cayman's last year in June for less than 2K for the direct flight from Atlanta & a beachfront condo. TCI was about $2400 last year on an American package & 2K this year for June. I think the major spring sales may be over though....

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Thomas

Dominican Republic, specifically the area of Punta Cana. Most beautiful resorts for the money, all inclusive prices are unbeatable through Apple Vacations. I'm taking my whole family of 5 for the budget you have for just two of you.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Amanda

We spent our honeymoon in Aruba and it would be perfect. Also Fall is prime hurricane season and Aruba is out of the hurricane belt. We followed a few recommendations and used Travel Unlimited at http://www.travelunlimited.com . Their prices were better than other agencies and their service was outstanding. They made tons of recommendations and helped to make a honeymoon so memorable.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Nancy

Hi James,<BR>You could stay at any of the five stars on Cozumel with that budget.<BR>Most islands during off-season (when you are going) will have great fly/room specials available, so you should have your choice.<BR>(Maybe not St Barts or Caymans - $$$.)<BR>Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are also relatively inexpensive.<BR>Avoid travel in September - we've been caught" several times by storms - unless you go to Tobago/Trinidad or ABC's.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Huh???

Did I miss something here? Since when was Cap Juluca considered an affordable caribbean destination? Even for one of their lowest end rooms, 7 days would cost $2300. Between airfare, and food, this clearly isn't an option for your budget.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:11 AM
tweedy

James,<BR><BR>YOu might look into Romora Bay on Harbour Island. They are offering a discount and free nights for the fall, and since it is off season, your budget should take you to most of the islands.<BR><BR>Harbour Island is perfect for a honeymoon, small and intimate, but amazing beach. <BR><BR>Romora Bay (www.romorabay.com) is villas overlooking the bay side of the island. Great food and beautiful landscaping.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time wherever you decide to go.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Amy

Since its hurricane season look for specials in safer islands not likely to get hit by a storm--Barbados, Aruba, and Bonaire (southern Caribbean). Off season there could be bargains. American airlines has packages at aavacations.com. Fodors online has destination guides with travelers comments about each hotel listed by clicking "User Rating" by the hotel description. Also, travelers reviews at Where2Stay.com. The Bucuti in Aruba has a large beach and is very quiet--rates should be great off-season. Car rental for mobility or taxis are available.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Shar

Since you're on a budget if you stay at the Bucuti--the rooms include a refrigerator. You could buy sandwiches etc. and put in fridge. Also include microwaves. There are several supermarkets you could get supplies from. We always shop at the markets and bring back groceries to our room. There may be other places to stay, just know that the Bucuti is quiet and has immense beach.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
kaycomie

I agree with Tom....Punta Cana in the Dominican...we were there in Feb. 2002 and stayed at the Bavaro Palace...Our first trip ever to the Caribbeans...a very positive experience and affordable...already talking about going back...the people are wonderful....

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Sharon

I read an article recently dated February '02 at Discovery.Com (Travel Channel T.V.) about a luxury retreat in the Caribbean Coast of Mexico--The Mamora Resort, website is mamorahotel.com. No children under 16 permitted. Gorgeous beach, activities, snorkling and very plush hacienda style buildings--they also pick you up from Cancun Airport. Don't know rates you might want to check out website. Fodors has travelers comments under Destination Guides-Mexico-Caribbean Coast.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Sharon

Correction: Marmora Resort or marmorahotel.com

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Sharon

I guess I should get a cup of coffee--lets try it again! maromahotel.com or Maroma Hotel, see Fodors online or website.

Old May 9th, 2002, 05:49 AM
mayariviera

Maroma is not the affordable range compared to other resorts in Cancun/Playa area. Very pricey but a wonderful high end boutique hotel. Marmoma means sumbersaults in Spanish so named because of the whitecaps caused by the winds.

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Maureen

While on vacation, we stopped by a very small hotel, The Turtle Cove Inn, in Provo in the Turks and Caicos for drinks which was in an outside tiki hut bar. This hotel is primarily for divers and boating people but it is very inexpensive. It is not on a beach but they will direct you to the beach that the people use that stay there. A week should only cost $600 but I don't know if that would be romantic enough for a honeymoon? The problem lately has been the high cost of airfare so I'm just making a suggestion. A car is essential to get around-very small island. Otherwise you might want to look into resorts in Cozumel Mexico. Good luck.

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Maureen

Just looked up the Turtle Cove Inn--its a 10 minute walk to beach and its located by a Marina. Fodors online--destination guides--has description and travelers comments (click on hotel name).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -