Advice Needed re Bahamas Lodging

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:34 PM
EC Sandorf

Advice Needed re Bahamas Lodging

I'm looking for hotel and resort suggestions - particularly for a place that is akin to a Le Meridien-type hotel setting, only placed in (Paradise Island), Bahamas. I seek an extremely seclusive, laidback, informal atmosphere. And, no stuffy places, please. Thanks.

Dec 12th, 2001, 08:04 PM
tweedy

UMM, on Paradise Island, well there are a few resorts on the island, but I would not suggest Paradise Island, for laid back.

How about Compas Point, which is on New Providence and VERY nice. Laid back with a family island feel.

Another option would be to take the Fast Ferry over to Harbour Island and stay at one of several of the smaller resorts there. My favorite is Runaway Hill which has 10 rooms, small and very laid back, with great food, right on the water, deck and pool. There are several nice restaurants on the island so you have lots of opportunities to dine out.

Let me know if you need any other info.

tweedy

Dec 13th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Robert

Tweedy; is there a telephone or website for Runaway Hill on Harbor Island. I haven't visited that island yet, but would like to. Also, to EC Sandorf, there is another laid=back place called Orange Hill Resort on New Providence, a few miles outside of Nassau. It is an abandoned orange orchard and has been meticulously gardened. A beach is within 100 foot walk through Caribbean Pine trees, and is usually isolated with few or no others swimming or sunbathing there. There is a pool and bar where tourists, many from foreign countries, chat and review the day they had. Price is about $130 a night for two, including taxes, and some rooms have a kitchenette. A "jib" or bus passes by every half hour to and from downtown Nassau. It's sounds like a place you'd enjoy, a Mom and Pop atmosphere with very friendly and seasoned owners who know how to make every one happy. Very personalized. Robert

Dec 13th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Joyce

Ocean Club if it has Re-opened. Very upscale, beautiful grounds. Quiet, relaxing, but owned by the Owners of Atlantis if you want some Big, Active time.

Dec 13th, 2001, 09:01 AM
rich

I would highly recommend Compass Point. We have vacationed there each of the last three years. For me there is no better place to relax and enjoy the beauty.
All really need is your bathing suit and casual, sporty clothes - very informal, intimate setting. NO STRESS.
Good Luck

Dec 13th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Daniel Williams

So Robert...

I'm glad you made it to Orange Hill Beach Inn; it sounds like you enjoyed yourself there as much as I did. I'm glad my words pointed you to somewhere you appreciated.

I think OHBI does fit EC Sandorf's seclusive (but not exclusive), laid-back, informal atmosphere...although I can't compare to Le Meridien and the Paradise Island bridge is about 10 miles away. Downtown Nassau is more accessible with jitneys coming by every 10 minutes 6am-6pm. (Robert, you write 30 minutes... are they less frequent?)

Have a great trip...just talking about it makes me want to go back! DAN

Dec 13th, 2001, 12:44 PM
tweedy

Try this website for more info www.briland.com which is the site for information on Harbour Island and N. Eleuthera.

Also the site for Runaway Hill is www.runawayhill.com.

Orange Hill is nice and I frequently stay there on my way to Harbour Island, as it is very convenient to the airport, but it is considered a budget resort. I would recommend it to a family and anyone wanting to spend a bit less on vacation.

Another suggestion is Pink Sands on Harbour Island, VERY upscale, same owner as Compas Point, so you get an idea of the level of amenities.

If you need any more info please feel free to email me [email protected]

tweedy