Reload this Page >

Advice for a lover's get away?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Jenn

I'd like to go to Jamaica on vacation but need advice on where to stay. I'm thinking less resort-like and more secluded and romantic. Any suggestions for a lover's get away on the island? My other consideration is Cat Island... any suggestions there? Any other recommendations outside of Cat Island or Jamaica? Please help me seasoned travelers-- I've never been to the Carribean. <BR> <BR>Thanks!!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Karen

Couple's in Ochos Rios was great. Lots of fun "couple" activities, or you can just lay in a hammock, but there are no singles, so everyting revolves around the two of you. I've also heard good things about the Lido resorts and Sandals Negril, which is also couples only.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Dawn

Hi Jenn, <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I just returned from St. Lucia and stayed at Sandals Halcyon (www.sandals.com). It was a beautiful island and resort and we had a wonderfully romantic time. The food was great and there was lots of time and locations for romantic moments. We also went on a sunset cruise and day cruise which were wonderful. I met several other people who had been to Jamaica (stayed at Sandals) and said St. Lucia was by far the best. There are also two Sandals in St. Lucia and you can stay at one and play at both. The other is quite bigger and not as intimate but was a good place to spend the day or go for dinner. Check out the Web site I provided above. We didn't have one complaint about our trip.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Jenn

Thanks for the advice, ladies. Are these resorts you recommend in super touristy areas? I'd like to stay away from the cheese as much as possible... <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:53 PM
x

Check out Jamaica Inn in Ochos Rios. It's small, luxurious, and has excellent food and service. Try to get a room from the west wing - you will be right on the water. Not much to do there, but it will be romantic and relaxing and there's no cheese to speak of. I highly recommend it if you are looking for mellow and romantic. It's pretty expensive in the high season, but we thought reasonable when we were there in the fall.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Karen

Someone told me about the best "secret" on Ja and the really "IN" spot. I think it looks wonderful. Check http:www.islandoutpost.com/Jakes/

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Kim

Try the Sandals Inn in Jamaica , much smaller and not as crowed very intimate.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 08:08 PM
gail

Jenn, I would suggest trying www.where2stay.com where you will find info about islands and pictures of lots of resorts all over the carribean, so you can choose what looks best to you. Also you can find info about rates for the season and off season, and you can get some great prices on off season at resorts all over the carribean. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, have a great trip. <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:43 AM
joan

Reply to Karen: <BR> <BR>I just looked at the website for Jake's, and it indeed looks very cool! However, I continued on and realized that Jake's rates ($100-$200 high season) are about half of Island Outpost's other properties...makes me wonder why. Do you think it's because it's so remote? The ad copy says something about being for writers and artists who "want to be far away from the crowds". I would translate that to be at least two hours from the airport. Any other reason for the low rates, do you think? ...I love Pink Sands, can't affort to stay there though. We are going for a last minute 4 night getaway in Feb, don't want to spend all day traveling... <BR>Joan

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Jackie

Try Ladera on St. Lucia for a totally cheeseless and utterly romantic and secluded getaway. Picture sleeping in a treehouse on the side of a mountain, looking out between volcanoes to a spectacular view of the carribean. Gorgeous!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Jenn

Wow! And to think I was going to do my research through a travel agent. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm online now checking them out. <BR> <BR>Has anyone heard of Bowe Cay? Any indight on that? It came up in a magazine article about 19 Perfect Getaways... <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Paul

you'd probably love Ladera or Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia. <BR>Or, if you want to go for bigger $$$, try Le Toiny or Isle de France on St. Barts. <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Karen

Not being familiar with Ja, it is hard for me to say. Someone told me that Treasure Beach is a treasure - lonely, quiet and pristine but that it will change too as it becomes more "known." Because it is unfound until now, it may just not have caught up - nor need to catch up with the glitter and glitz that many properties offer and staff to go with it! They didn't have to charge thru the roof to keep it "exclusive" so I hear ... it was a "secret" and a real hideaway for some well-known folk. Seemed like my kinda place ... and I would, at that price, give it a whirl - it is intriguing and right at the top of the lists of "maybes" for me! But don't blame me if it doesn't "pan" out!!!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Jenn

I've gotten info from Fernandez Bay Village on Cat Island-- it looks amazing! Anyone have insight on the island or the village?

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 11:11 AM
carrie

If you want to get away from the "cheese" I have the perfect place for you...we found a place called "Rock House" on the cliffs of Negril. If I could recommend anywhere in the Caribbean...it would be there. It is the farthest thing from an "all-inclusive" which is what we try to stay far away from. The Rockhouse has small thatched-roof huts w/wood floors, poster beds, glass doors that overlook the Caribbean...it's just the perfect getaway. It is right on the water, but no beach which was fine with us because the beaches in Negril were pretty gross when we went down. The webpage is www.rockhousehotel.com Have a great time wherever you end up going!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:12 PM
Judith

SWEPT AWAY. PERIOD. DRIPS OF ROMANCE. (WERE THERE A YEAR AGO.)

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:50 PM
JAKE

THERES A GREAT MOTEL ON 159ST & SUPTIN BVD,RIGHT AJACENT TO LOCAL CRACK HOUSE.GREAT PLACE TO VACATION!!!!PANARAMIC VIEWS OF GRAFITI,THE ROMANTIC SOUNDS OF POLICE SIORINS AND GUN SHOTS,THE FRIENDLY NATIVES ALWAYS WILLING(FOR 1O $ THAT IS)AND LOTS MORE .

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:25 AM
Robert

The Gauna Seaside Village and Resort on Great Guana Cay off of Abaco, Bahamas. Robert